Who would buy a Pigs head?

jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:17 am
Yesterday the kids and I drove to Santa Ana, they have ethnic grocery stores there and I wanted to see what they had. Walking through the meat section and what do I see? Whole pigs head all wrapped up, it still had the ears and nose. I thought what in the hell is someone going to make for dinner out of a pigs head!
Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 1,869 • Replies: 54

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:21 am
@jcboy,
I just found a recipe online for oven roasted Pigs Head Razz Looks disgusting.

Oven Roasted Pigs Head

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:23 am
@jcboy,
Head cheese! It's a delicacy!

Clean pork head, removing bristles, ears and eyes, jaws and bones of nose.

Cook with hocks, tongue, heart and beef.

Cook rinds in a separate container.

When well done, remove meat from bones and grind all through a fine plate.
Mix very well and add some salt and pepper with meat juice to make a good mix.

Place the ground results in a cheesecloth bag and top with a heavy weight to press out the "extra" fat.

When cold, cut in large slices, and make a mix of 2 cups of water and one cup vinegar, bring to a boil, then cool and pour over meat, letting stand in a crock pot for 5 days or until fully soaked through.

Serve with raw onion and vinegar for dinner, or heat and serve with fried potato -- .
jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:27 am
@hightor,
The recipe doesn't sounds too bad but I'd never be able to convince three kids to eat a pigs head for dinner Razz
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:32 am
@jcboy,
There's a butchers in Shirley High Street that sometimes has a pig's head for sale.

I think it all comes from poverty. Back in feudal times all the best cuts of meat were taken by the aristos, leaving the poor working classes with humble pie.

It's a real thing, it sounds absolutely disgusting.

My grandparents would talk of eating brains when they were kids, but they were from Yorkshire and they eat some foul stuff anyway. Google hazlet to see what that looks like. It ain't nice.

We also have a lot of Eastern Europeans, especially Poles. I think once you've had something and are used to it you want to go back.

Occasionally I still enjoy a Fray Bentos pie, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else, and once I've had one I don't fancy another for a long time.

hightor

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:34 am
@jcboy,
I used to stare in awe and disgust at the heads on display in the old Hoboken Pork Store. Then I'd take the tube under the Hudson and head over to Chinatown to check out the animals hanging in the markets there. It was like a zoo full of dead creatures. The huge gape-jawed fish on ice were pretty spectacular too.
jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My grandparents would talk of eating brains when they were kids,

I saw scrambled eggs and brains on a menu once, I didn't order it Razz
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:51 am
@jcboy,
My uncle from the other half of the family was on a totally different scale. When he was a kid, whenever they took him to a restaurant he always wanted the same thing, beans on toast.

Our baked beans are different from yours I've never had yours, but I have had refried beans and they weren't a lot different from our baked beans.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 07:53 am
@izzythepush,
Bloody spellcheck.

I just caught it, it had refried beans as refried ears.

I've never had those.
jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:12 am
@hightor,
You see a lot of that in ChinaTown, San Francisco. Even live chickens and ducks in cages. You have to kill them yourself.
jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:15 am
@izzythepush,
This place even had chicken feet, I've heard people just fry them up and eat them, Not this person! I'll pass.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:26 am
@jcboy,
Years ago I worked at an international bank, there was a company in Aylesbury that exported duck's feet to China, before they just threw them out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:52 am
I used to live where animals were butchered routinely for food. Rabbits, chickens, mostly, when very young. Then, later, add deer, armadillos, squirrels, wild turkey to the list. When your income is mostly a welfare check you eat what is provided. I watched a brother kill and devour a snake. I've also seen the pig's heads, tongues, brains, and the like in stores. My stepfather liked brains and eggs. They couldn't force me to eat cow tongue or liver.
Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My uncle from the other half of the family was on a totally different scale. When he was a kid, whenever they took him to a restaurant he always wanted the same thing, beans on toast.

Our baked beans are different from yours I've never had yours, but I have had refried beans and they weren't a lot different from our baked beans.

I remember flying over the pond when I was in my early 20s. We stayed cheaply in what was called bed and breakfasts ... Not the charming and romantic ones ..the ones young people flock to that are just a step above hostels.

At one we stayed several days in London. They would serve each breakfast would be scrambled eggs and something else...that something else changed daily ...one of the favorites..not mine but others I noticed. Was the beans.

Then I also remember going to some music venue ...it was known as being where the stones used to play and others at one time. So this is a dump with a bar and music...there was food stuff you might expect to see to go up order and grab along with a beer except the beans...who eats beans like this? Just a bowl if beans.

You guys are weird.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 11:41 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

This place even had chicken feet, I've heard people just fry them up and eat them, Not this person! I'll pass.

I also remember a story of a job I had in Boston I was about 25 or a little older. Anyone we had a diverse group of people working on our team. One if which was a newly hired girl fresh out if college...very sheltered from a very nice town in CT. Another women offered to go to lunch with her once ...she was a bit older married with a young child originally from China. She suggested going to Chinatown for lunch.

The girl came back horrified...saying she ordered chicken feet! It was actual chicken feet.
Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 11:44 am
@Linkat,
Oh and I'd try the chicken feet. I would try most things...stuff I would not is bugs and organ meats.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 11:48 am
@jcboy,
A famous (in Ireland!) sportsperson wrote about how his grandmother went to her local butcher's shop, asked for a pig's head and encouraged the butcher to 'cut it as close to the arse as you can.'
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 12:08 pm
I remember having chicken feet at my stepgrandmother's one time. She joked with me that she saved the heads for herself to eat later.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 12:11 pm
A LARGE portion of thw book, Angela's Ashs, was deored ro how poor irih would celeebrate Xmas with a dinnr of pig's head. In cjina we had entire meals of pig cheeks in a sauc with black mushrooms and spices. Its ll good. My worst fer in ating ws in Nigeria where their beer was created with the brewrs spit. no loogies allowed
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 12:20 pm
In our country (i.e. in Germany, not at home), pig's head was often roasted and used as a showpiece at cold buffets or boiled and boned and served with horseradish.

https://i.imgur.com/bGVqPyZl.jpg
The so-called "Westphalian Last Supper" in the Wiesenkirche in Soest, my county town. (St. Maria zur Wiese is a Late Gothic hall church founded in 1313.)

https://i.imgur.com/sOCY0ZKl.jpg
Jesus and his disciples celebrate the Last Supper with ham, pumpernickel, pig's head, schnapps and beer. (Glass window, about 1500)
0 Replies