Could you kill your own meat?

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:05 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I agree here.

I lived on the road to the Tyson plant in TN.

I will not buy tyson chicken, and am real careful 'bout my eggs as well.

(you don't wanna know...)

We might not WANT to know but i think we NEED to know.

A lot of people don't want to know what happens to these animals before they are dinner because they know that if they did, they probably wouldn't be able to eat them without some sort of guilt.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:13 am
Quote:
As a human enjoying your human way of existance, what do you feel gives you the authority/right/privilege of terminating the life of an animal who is enjoying his way of existance?

Yes. Just like a lion feels the right to kill a gazelle happily bounding across the open field. The food chain is the food chain.

My qualms are not with eating meat at all. It's the way that we raise and slaughter these animals like they were nothing.

Since having my daughter I've started to look at the world a lot differently. I've started recycling (never did and am not sure why....its just so damn easy). She only has organic/natural shampoo and lotions. We drink milk without added hormones and eat chicken without added junk. And I want to feed her only organic and humanely raised/slaughtered meats. The only problem is the cost.

And I think that's a huge factor and if the cost went down I think more and more people would be inclined to buy better meats and eventually stop the cruelty of factory farms.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:15 am
@Bella Dea,
Yep.

I hope it will be outlawed soon.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:50 am
@Bella Dea,
However, the lion has no choice but to kill the gazelle, as his body can only survive on meat.

Back to the choices comment I made before....why does one choose this option when it's not necessary? If a human can be perfectly healthy not eating flesh, doesn't it boil down to be willing to cause a death for a flavor in your mouth? If that's the answer, fine. However, saying its the same right a lion has isn't correct. Or saying it's just something we do is not complete.

I agree less people would eat meat if they had to watch what was going on in a slaughter house, even a "humane" one. Same as less people would eat meat if they had to kill their own.

As long as those 40 people who died in a plane crash were on the opposite side of the world, and you didn't know any of them, it's more ok than if it was your neighbor?

As long as you don't have to see the slaughter, or the conditions, it's ok to have something killed for you, for a tasty bit of food in your mouth?

Don't get me wrong, if it's a choice between a human life, or an animal, I'd have to choose for the human to survive over the animal.

But what about when it's not necessary for either of them to die?
gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:58 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, if it's a choice between a human life, or an animal, I'd have to choose for the human to survive over the animal.

That puts you one step above the demoKKKrats and enviro-whacks, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:33 am
This http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html is really interesing.

coluber2001

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:14 am
@gungasnake,
I agree. The cattle culture is one of the most destructive things to the world's ecosystem as well as the health and welfare of the people. Billions starve, hundreds of millions get heart disease and cancer, and land that could be used to grow grain for human consumption, is, instead, used to grow grain to feed cattle. For example, Mexico's ranchers control the land for raising cattle running the subsistence farmer off the land, and the government's answer is for the dispossed farmer to migrate to the U.S.

The cattle's life is no longer natural, and neither is its diet. Virtually all cattle in the feedlots are sick with ulcers from a unnatural diet high in carbohydrates--corn. Carcasses are merely given a cursory inspection if at all by the USDA, and plant employees now take their place. Deregulation trusts the slaughter houses to do their own inspecting.

A good book on the subject is "Beyond Beef" by Jeremy Rifkin, a book exposing the beef industry that is an equal to Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle."
chai2

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:19 am
@Bella Dea,
Yeah, that is an interesting link.

He kinda goes overboard a little bit, and does tend at times be preachy about how he's right, but there are some good facts in there as well.

That section near the beginning about wanting to believe we're making the right choices, not based on choosing beforehand, but acting THEN making our decision based on the act was spot on.

Road kill anyone?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:21 am
@coluber2001,
I still eat my business-snake's two-dollar lunch at McDonalds i.e. the four piece chicken mcnuggets and double cheese and cup of water two or three days a week and at my age it's the least of my worries but no way would I be letting any kids I was responsible for eat that stuff. Other than that I largly stopped eating beef in the mid seventies when the cattle farmers tried to double or triple their prices as they'd just seen OPEC do. That of course went over like a lead baloon; Americans may have to have gasoline to function but they can live for a LONG time without beef and they let the farmers know it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
My meat is very tender. It would hurt too much.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:31 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, if it's
a choice between a human life, or an animal,
I'd have to choose for the human to survive over the animal.

I might wanna pause to reflect upon
WHICH human and which animal,
before I became precipitously involved, or not.

I reserve the RIGHT to do nothing, in my discretion.

David
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That 's not fair.
We did not recommend paranoia, nor did we exhort murder regardless of hats.

David

If I may alter the famous words of Katherine in "Wuthering Heights":

David, you and cj ARE paranoia.

Regardless of hats.

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:09 pm
@chai2,
I don't think you wanna go projecting stuff about not wanting to ask uncomfortable questions onto everybody.

I, for instance, have spent a lot of time thinking about this particular question, and I suspect a number of others on this thread have.

We may not make decisions you agree with, and fair enough if you argue for your views, but don't you be assuming lack of ability to question oneself.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:48 am
@Borat Sister,
humans are animals.

lol.

technically ;D
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:01 am
@OGIONIK,
Technically?

I don't think it's technical...we're animals with a funny extra bit of brain tissue stuck on the top and front of our brains.

And opposeable thumbs.

And fur only in weird places.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:08 am
@Borat Sister,
true, true...
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:10 am
@OGIONIK,
You're becoming very agreeable lately...it frightens me a little....

Shocked
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:27 am
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
David, you and cj ARE paranoia.

Your diagnosis is not well reasoned; it is inconsistent with known fact.

I think I read someone say that u r a psychologist, by profession ?
Is that accurate ?

There r criteria that define paranoia.
During the last 40 years, I have had 2 distinctly paranoid girlfriends,
in the classic sense. Hence, I have seen it in action.

I have never entertained the concept that I have personal enemies.
I am 100% confident that no one on this planet (nor elsewhere)
has me on any hit list, nor is keeping me under any surveillance.
I have never entertained any delusions of grandeur, nor have I been grand,
nor have any powerful organizations taken any interest in my life.
( no persecution, either )

My only sense of personal insecurity, from possible criminal predators,
abruptly ended when I got a little lucky in a poker game
at age 8 + a few weeks. My sense of national insecurity ended
on Christmas Eve of 1991, when soldiers of the Red Army
tore down the red hammer n sickle commie flag from atop the Kremlin
and replaced on Christmas Day with the Red, White & Blue of Russia ( not the USSR ).
The empire of evil was dead; threats from commies, nazis n Japs did not exist.
I have never feared Moslems, tho knocking down our buildings can be annoying.

O, I almost forgot:
I DID fear Saddam for a few years,
having a known homicidal maniac, a vindictive one, with a grudge against America.
I thought it 'd not be hard for him to put a small nuke on a small boat n detonate it,
as it approached an American port city (like mine, for example),
possibly without making an appointment first; however,
that fear permanently abated when W overthrew Saddam.

Altho personally, I have had adequate means of self defense for well over half a century,
it is my desire that my fellow American citizens be well armed,
(and that incorrigibly violent felonious recidivists be banished from the North American Continent).
I desire to live in a very well armed society (personal armament);
this tends to promote Individualism, libertarianism and to undermine collectivism.

For this reason, I actively promote a pure interpretation of the 2nd Amendment;
I wish to restore the filosofical status quo ante to the polity;
I contemplate no sense of any personal danger to ME.

These motives r not paranoid; if u dispute that,
then please substantiate your diagnosis, Dr. Bunny.

David

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
i want to be grand, am i paranoid?

does that count?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:29 am
@Borat Sister,
The lack of fur is a total dis adaptation for anything on land; there's reason to think that humans originally lived in water. The most visible difference between us and apes is the thing about the legs being the major limbs, also an adaptation for swimming and wading. An ape or monkey trying to swim the way we do would likely just turn somersaults in the water.
0 Replies