Could you kill your own meat?

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:59 am
I have killed animals for food, but prefer not to. I might become a vegetarian if personally killing it became the only way to have meat.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:17 pm
Again, humans were never meant to be vegetarians. There is reason to think humans originally lived in water and that the original human diet would have been some combination of fruit and shellfish. The only possible way to get enough protein without eating some sort of meat is going to be nuts and/or beans of some sort as major diet items and that has its own set of problems.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
If I were actually going to kill my own my own meat,
in the wild, emotionally, I 'd feel more comfortable
in killing a predatory animal,
but I don 't wanna eat cats nor liberal DemocRATs.

David
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm an independent, Dave, but I appreciate the sentiment...

Grew up around the farm, but killing is messy work.

I'll stick to the butcher for now.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Don 't take this personally, Rocky,
but I 'm not gonna eat u either
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:20 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm curious Robert.

Why was eating your pet lamb unappetizing as opposed to a different lamb?

Believe me, I'm not trying to be all Earth Mother, Peace, Love and Understanding....just trying to get into some minds and how they think..

Was you pet lamb more dead than the other lambs slaughtered that same day?

I might say "well, it's a lower form of life, not as high up on the scale as a human"

Who am I to say that humans are the only creature that gets to fill life to its fullest, in the way that a living thing of it's particular species can?

A rabbit can't achieve what a human can, but in it's own rabbit way I believe it can have a good life, whether out in the wild, or in a hutch. Same for any other creature.

Who am I to decide that this hypothetical rabbit can't go back to it's den that night, take care of its young, or live long enough to have another litter of pups, or eat some sweet spouts in the early spring?

In a weird way, it's like playing God.

Except for a few species, animals kill out of need, not out of choice.

I don't know, I guess for me it comes back around to watching something die, that really didn't have to.

hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:51 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Why was eating your pet lamb unappetizing as opposed to a different lamb?

Believe me, I'm not trying to be all Earth Mother, Peace, Love and Understanding....just trying to get into some minds and how they think..

I imagine Chai that it's similar to how affected you would be if your next door neighbour was axe murdered in your frontyard as opposed to how you would feel about 40 passengers dying in a plane crash in Accra. We are small beings.

I've cleaned and killed fish and shellfish. Watched a goat get slaughtered at school (it's OK kids it was an agricultural school). I think/know I could kill to eat but if I don't have to I don't choose to. If I had the moral strength I would be at least vegetarian. As it is I stick to organic meat (Gervoise meats are local and slaughter their own)

And Gunga the idea that humans weren't meant to be vegetarian is odd. Humans weren't meant to be anything, we adapt. We aren't ruminants but not all non-meat products are grass. You seem to be ignoring the fact that a significant portion of the earth's population is vegetarian, and even more amazingly, ignoring the fact that the planet could not support the current 6 billion + eating as much meat as you do (assuming you're the average American) read about Edible protein per unit area of land
chai2

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:20 pm
@hingehead,
I'd already thought of that scenerio hingehead (next door neighbor vs. other side of the world)

I think that's like saying "It's bad if it's my next door neighbor, but relatively ok if it's people I don't know on the other side of the world".

In either case, it's not ok.

Sure, I'd feel more emotional about my neighbor, but the other people are just as dead, and I realize others are grieving for them.

Why is is not ok to take the life of and eat your pet, but ok to eat the shiny package meat?

Is it because you don't have the mess to clean up? I mean, is it basically the aethestics of dealing with bowels and ****?

If the answer is yes....hey, that's a valid reason for whoever says it.

Me? I could deal with the mechanics of the mess if someone gave me a carcass to cut up. I have the problem with taking the life

Those people on the side of a mountain that ate their fellow passengers to stay alive? I'm cool with that. No one killed them. They got dead from the accident.

BTW, the protein bit? That isn't just an odd idea, but totally wrong. People WAY over estimate the amount of protein they need. Too much causes kidney damage and leaches calcium from our bones.

In fact, it's actually pretty hard NOT to get enough complete protein (containing all the essential amino acids) during the course of a day, if you eat pretty much any legume and any grain during that day...not even necessary to eat them at the same time.
Dogz

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
To me the problem with killing your own meat is not a moral one, but a "yuck" one. Just like knowing how the sausage is made makes it less appetizing knowing your meat before it looks like tasty steak also does.

I think you are right. I love the humble meat pie, however I try not to think what percentage of it is actual meat as opposed to offal/tail/nose/tongue etc. Of course, our lamb leg roasts weren't as round and juicy as shop-bought ones, as we didn't fatten up the lambs before slaughter and I think because they looked a lot leaner it also contributed to the "yuck" factor.
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@Dogz,
Vegetables are what food eats.

Kill 'em and grill 'em.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:33 pm
@chai2,
I kind of handle it all by realizing that death is inevitable, and animals eat each other all the time.

I was veggo for some time, but reverted.

I focus more, now, on concerns re how the animals live before being killed.

Hence, I eat free range chicken, raised without hormones and antibiotics and **** like that, and fish NOT raised in ocean corrals (that's also proving to be bad to eat anyway). I won't eat anything that has been raised in misery in factory farms.

I can't handle seeing sheep and cattle taken to market in those huge trucks, so I won't eat them....I know it's weird to distinguish between them and chooks and fish, but I do think they are more highly developed and likely suffer more.

I've seen animals slaughtered and it's not the mess and stuff, (they manage to create a lot of that themselves just in the normal course of life, and when they injure themselves, or die naturally) it's the thought of them suffering.

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
Now that your money is worthless, and I'm the only one with guns and bows here who knows how to hunt... well... I have you right where I want you.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
@dlowan,
I agree here.

I lived on the road to the Tyson plant in TN.

I will not buy tyson chicken, and am real careful 'bout my eggs as well.

(you don't wanna know...)

You really think that yer the only one, shooter?
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Moose season is just around the corner. That's, of course, if you follow the rules. I figure we all get a pass this year as nobody is following any rules.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:48 pm
@cjhsa,
Hunt me if you have the heart for it.

(might want to work on your vocabulary and philosophy a bit first)

I am Real good in the dark...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I'm curious Robert. Why was eating your pet lamb unappetizing as opposed to a different lamb?

For the same reason that eating at the fast food restaurant I worked at was no longer appetizing after I saw how the food was prepared. For example the chili dog didn't look tasty after I saw the frozen paste in the big industrial tub that it came in or the people having sex on top of it in the freezer.

I saw the animals having sex and that makes me less inclined to want to eat them.

Which looks more tasty to you. These pigs:

Or this bacon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29104250@N05/

Quote:

No, but I didn't smell the guts of the other lambs and I didn't worry that the whole home butchering thing wasn't done right.

What was off putting to me had nothing to do with death or morals. I have no moral compunction at all about eating animals. It's just that they don't look tasty at all till they are cut up and cooked and seeing it along the way can be unappetizing. Not because I feel bad for the animal but they are far less appetizing raw than cooked, and whole than chopped up, and pooping instead of frying.

Cracking open an egg to find a dead chick made our own eggs less appealing to me than the store-bought ones too. Seeing our cows eat garbage made me not want to eat them.

The process of making food is just not appetizing as the final product. For the same reason I enjoy food that other people cook more so than when I cook and for the same reason I'd rather not watch my sausage being made before eating it.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@cjhsa,
Quote:
Now that your money is worthless, and I'm the only one with guns and bows here who knows how to hunt... well... I have you right where I want you.

Good grief...what a terrible place your head must be.

Sorry, you poor, sad, strange little soul, my money is not in the least worthless, and I doubt yours is either.

Also, what makes you think I don't know how to hunt? Just because I do not have orgasms at the sight of a weapon and raise altars to them and do not want everyone armed to the teeth, deeply paranoid, and ready to murder at the drop of a hat, does not mean that I do not know how to use them. I spent a great deal of my early life out bush and have handled guns quite a lot, as it happens.

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I have killed animals for food, but prefer not to. I might become a vegetarian if personally killing it became the only way to have meat.

I would hope professionals do it with maximum efficiency and least trauma to the animal, too.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Perhaps trying to break the mental link between animals and meat has a lot to do with anthropomorphism?