cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:06 pm
@Borat Sister,
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/cjhsa/th_IMG_0191.jpg

Bang.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:17 pm
@cjhsa,
Is anyone else as impressed as I am. Such brave derring do. Ya know, he doesn't look 16. Why does he act like he is?
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT oh god of A2K trolls - you couldn't feed yourself without the golden arches to guide your way. Thunderchicken hunting isn't for those without patience and shooting skills.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:33 pm
@cjhsa,
Remember CJ, that it's also illegal to have sexual relations with your dog. And a promise to marry her won't save you from jail time.
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:36 pm
@JTT,
WTF?

Feel free to post your own kills/harvests. How is that tofu farm doing anyway?
gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:41 pm
@cjhsa,
Quote:
Feel free to post your own kills/harvests...

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/icebear46/arch_victim0908a.jpg

Not the biggest deer in the woods, but not exactly a button buck...
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:46 pm
@gungasnake,
Nicely done. Mini-me and I begin our archery harvest Oct. 1. If no worthy bucks show up, we'l be putting does in the freezer and saving our buck tags for firearms season.

Did you notice the gun I'm holding?
gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:05 pm
@cjhsa,
Picture's kind of fuzzy, if I had to guess I'd guess it was a semiauto 12 or 20 gauge but I wouldn't want to have to guess.

Here's something most people do not know about firearms... There was no gain in lethality going from the black powder age to the modern age of firearms. If you had to pick the very last thing in most places which sell firearms which you'd ever want to get shot with, it would be the 50-cal inline muzzle loader.

There is no real way to make a soft-point jacketed hunting bullet to work properly both at 400 yards and at 50 yards and most actual killing of game animals is inside 100 yards. The 45 or 50-cal bullet doesn't NEED to expand much.

Same is true of shotgun slugs if that's what you have in mind and you don't really need 12 gauge slugs for normal deer or even elk, 20 or 28 would suffice.

In fact a perfectly good general purpose North American game rifle would be that Marlin lever action in either 45 Colt or 44-mag. Heavy bullets for those calibers and you pick up an extra 300 - 400 fps with the rifle barrel, lethality is significantly greater than that of magnum caliber rifles with two or three times the ballistics.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
That 's not fair.
We did not recommend paranoia, nor did we exhort murder regardless of hats.

David

David
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:55 pm
@gungasnake,
So Gunga what did you do with once you killed it?
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:58 pm
@hingehead,
i dont know about something like a cow, its a little messy for my taste.

but rabbits, yeah, fish already have, pigs, i hate pigs and pork, no.

i tik i would appreciate the meat more, and have no qualms about doing it.

IMO if u want meat, u should raise it and kill it urself, but life es no faire.
Dogz

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:51 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
i tik i would appreciate the meat more, and have no qualms about doing it.

That was my way of thinking too, but it turned out the opposite. The time and money spent raising the lambs, keeping up their health (i.e. worming, tick treatments etc), and the satisfaction knowing they were free of hormones, preservatives, and the like. Instead of appreciation, I felt repulsion.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:00 am
@hingehead,
Our free enterprise capitalist system provides places which for a fee will process a raw deer like that one into an equivalent quantity of steaks, roasts, cutlets, and ground venison. The idea at present is to have Thanksgiving, Christmas, and one or two other occasions with family and friends and be able to say that dinner was shot rather than purchased.

The idea in future times might be survival, who knows? Again as I see it we are going to have to feed China for a decade or thereabouts when their own agricultural system collapses, which will happen soon. Being able to kill whitetail deer and geese in those times will be handy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:21 am
@gungasnake,
We shoud feed our deer to Chinamen ?
gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Not deer or game animals; more like corn, wheat, rice, and chicken products.

America could feed the entire world at need; our agriculture is vastly more efficient than anybody elses, particularly regarding the basic grains at the bottom of the food pyramid. We have something like 2% of our people farming. That number is more like 65 or 70% in China and 25% or thereabouts in Germany and France if I've read it correctly.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 04:10 am
@gungasnake,
Note, also, that I oppose feeding them snakes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:38 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/cjhsa/th_IMG_0191.jpg

Bang.

Snicker:

http://www.livelypace.com/wp-content/uploads/Killer_rabbit.jpg

http://www.thehorrordome.com/HDSHOPPINGPROPS/BumpintheDark/PeterRottenTailLG.jpg

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:54 am
@Eorl,
Perhaps trying to break the mental link between animals and meat has a lot to do with anthropomorphism?

Mental link?

All animals are composed of meat, including the human animal. I don't think anyone doesn't realize that.

I don't anthropomorphize (sp) the animal, I do think a rabbit has a rabbit way of enjoying life, and a deer, cow, cat, 3 toed sloth has their ways of enjoying their lives.

I asked this before in a way, and would be interested in someone's view on this:

As a human enjoying your human way of existance, what do you feel gives you the authority/right/privilege of terminating the life of an animal who is enjoying his way of existance?

Is it the fact (which I'm not too sure of in some species), that animals are not aware of their own mortality? I think some animals are aware of this, for example elephants.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
@chai2,
The right?

Hmmm......I think it's just a thing that a lot of animals, including us, do.

chai2

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:38 am
@dlowan,
"just a thing" we do?

well, yes, of course it is.

we "just" do a lot of things because thinking about the "why's" might bring up questions, perhaps uncomfortable questions as to our behavior.

To me, the title of this thread brought up a lot of questions...

Could I?
If I could, why? I'd hope I'd think beyong it's "just something" we do.

Couldn't I?
Why not? Because of the mess, or this yuck factor of having seen what you're going to eat, or causing a life to end, etc.