Palin vs Hillary

engineer

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:22 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I have said and I am 100% convinced that Hillary Clinton was a better choice than Barack Obama and more qualified to be POTUS, and, if we are to have a Democrat at the helm come January, I would be much reassured if that Democrat was her rather than him. But Hillary Clinton has a burning passion for knowledge? More than Sarah Palin? Given Clinton's track record, I don't know how anybody could possibly discern that.

There has been a lot written about the Clintons and their history. Both detractors and supporters portray Senator Clinton as someone who would be up at 1:00 in the morning arguing with her husband over details of foreign or domestic policy. When I look at her, at her speaches and public appearences, I can see that. Ask her if Iran is ruled by a nut job or a clever politician playing to the home audience. I bet you will get an interesting answer. Or ask about the impact of tax cuts on the economy or immigration. Honestly, I would love to chat politics with Clinton off the record where she could be honest and not have to spout all the wiggle words that politicians use to avoid offending someone.

Palin just doesn't show me that kind of interest in the issues. That doesn't mean she's not handling the Governor job well. Weed out corruption locally, push for some more Alaska earmarks, pound the local issues. Great, that's what governors do. I thought McCain would go to her as a VP candidate. What has surprised me in the interviews is the complete lack of depth in national and international issues. There just isn't any fire there at all. I could name a dozen posters on this board, you included, who would have given more substantial interviews. Of course, we're into it. We have enough of a burning interest in politics to show up here, put up with the flames and try to contribute. I just don't see it in Palin. It's not that I don't care for her world-view (though I don't), I just don't think she's put any effort into forming one. There's no depth there, no fire, no real interest. It feels like she just copied a handy one from the Republican platform and when asked for details, it just falls apart.
0 Replies