Palin vs Hillary

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:

She can hardly pull off a one-on-one interview without sounding like a stumped college student -- how on earth will she survive a debate with Biden?

From what I hear, she's just going to sit there and let him talk... Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:40 am
@A Lone Voice,
She'll cross her legs, and let "that" do her talking.
A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think he mentioned it once in Idaho or somewhere...
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hey Firefly, I think I found your sexist...

You really didn't say that, did you?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:49 am
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:
Now, can anyone honestly say Hillary would have been elected to the Senate without having been married to the president of the United States? Is she a self-made woman? Why all this talk of a glass ceiling?

I'd say Hillary is a self-made woman in the sense she had to have been a huge part of why bill Clinton got so far in life. She deserves enormous credit in this regard--

As for Sarah Palin-- she's earned it, she just took a different route. It's no small feat where she is now in terms of governing the state of Alaska.

The difference between Hillary and Sarah Palin. Hillary has a jillion times more brains and experience and scope than Palin.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:55 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
You guys have ruined her.

While I don't believe at all that she sounds like a stumped college student fielding 'gotcha' questions carefully crafted to embarrass her--questions that have not been asked and would likely never be asked of Barack Obama or Joe Biden or John McCain--I think assuming 'we guys have ruined' her is maybe not sexist, but is certainly among the most demeaning and condescending statements yet. I know it was not meant to be, but honestly. . . .

I had no executive experience whatsoever when I was hired for my first executive position. I had no experience in the particular kind of agency and zero knowledge of the extensive politics and national network necessary to negotiate in order to be successful. I didn't have the requisite specified education. But I had demonstrated skills and abilities and vision that made those who hired me believe I had what it took to learn and do the job. And I did. Quite well if I do say so myself. I was able to learn how to do everything they asked of me and a whole lot more.

Sarah Palin has a hundred times more training and qualifications to be Vice President than I had to do the job I did and/or that most people have who are drafted to be vice president. She has already made most of her 'beginner' mistakes that are unlikely to be repeated. You have absolutely no knowledge of what her interest in national issues are, but she has demonstrated that she is smart and capable, not afraid to shake things up, not afraid to take on anybody. She is that special kind of person who can do anything she makes up her mind to do. And because she can and does think outside the box and is willing to be unconventional, she also offers real positive change in a way that Barack Obama, entrenched in the old boys network, will never be able to do. And Palin has not made anywhere near the gaffes on national and international issues that Obama has made, but you consider him fully qualified to be President. I'll admit that he is almost as qualified to be Vice President as Palin is.

Ruined her? Most of us could only hope to be just a little bit as 'ruined' as Sarah Palin.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:50 pm
@Foxfyre,
Fox, You have a "lifetime" to learn "the" job. The VP doesn't have that luxury.

If you think Palin has the wherewithal to progress beyond her statements made at Couric's interview yesterday, there's a huge disconnect between your bosses and McCain.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have moved on from that job but no, I did not have a lifetime to learn it. I had at most 6 months before we would have had to close our doors. They took a huge gamble with me and it paid off, for me and for the organization. And since I'm pretty sure Palin's IQ and ability exceeds mine, there is no reason to think she would not excel.

Sarah Palin brings an enormous amount of practical experience to the Veep job that I didn't have in that other job and that most vice presidents don't have to bring to the job. And the odds are excellent that she will have four long years to learn all the ropes. And given her demonstrated initiative, drive, and determination to succeed, it is a safe bet that she will learn them very quickly and very well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
If Palin's IQ exceeds yours, that's not saying much, because I agree.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:20 pm
Thank you. It's nice to agree on at least one thing. Do you really think personally insulting people is cute? Clever? Smart? Just checking.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:22 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

She can hardly pull off a one-on-one interview without sounding like a stumped college student -- how on earth will she survive a debate with Biden?

Oh lordy, if she would just do that she'd win in a heartbeat. Smile He's a walking gaffe machine in spite of not having to field ANY gotcha questions so far.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
True-- Biden's a big mouth. He's also got a strange history-- plagiarism among other things. Nonetheless, I'm counting on Gwen Eifel (sp?) to be enough to keep Palin off balance. She didn't do so well with Couric, so I imagine she backs down more with women.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:28 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

Probably a good strategy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
While I don't believe at all that she sounds like a stumped college student fielding 'gotcha' questions carefully crafted to embarrass her--questions that have not been asked and would likely never be asked of Barack Obama or Joe Biden or John McCain--

Not so. The questions she was asked were typical of those asked to candidates in interviews. One of them actually was asked to Barack Obama for sure, and probably McCain and others -- whether we should engage Iran in Syria in talks without pre-conditions. I think it is more demeaning to make excuses for her than it is to point out the obvious -- that she is a gifted politician with promise but not ready for this.

Quote:
I think assuming 'we guys have ruined' her is maybe not sexist, but is certainly among the most demeaning and condescending statements yet. I know it was not meant to be, but honestly. . . .

How is that? You are selling the wine before its time. She's not ready and she doesn't have enough time to get ready. It's going to be very hard for her to come back credibly in a future campaign now (though not impossible). That's what that means and there is nothing demeaning (or even remotely sexist) about it.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
Yup; if McCain had picked a male veep from Alaska with the same credentials as Palin, he'd be mud by now too! Maybe, more so. Many men are still hung up on this ....with lipstick.

BTW, men can be pigs too.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:25 pm
I've noticed so many libs/progressives here just don't seem able to answer the tough questions, my post about opinion polls notwithstanding.

But sticking to this topic, can I get someone to come out and play?

I'll ask again:

Palin has earned the governorship in Alaska on her own. If McCain is elected, will her four years as VP be any less important than Hillary's years as a senator?

Right now, Palin is being slammed for her lack of foreign policy experience (although these same lib/progressive critics didn't seem to mind the lack of foreign policy experience of two governors of a couple of small, poo-butt states like Arkansas and Georgia who were running for president - sorry, my CA bias is showing - as is lib/progressive intellectual dishonesty).

-BTW, I believe all three lack(ed) foreign policy expertise, but good leaders surround themselves with great advisors and adapt to the learning curve(although this wasn’t the case with Carter, failure that he was). And Palin, as VP, will (hopefully) have time to grow in office. Although that doesn’t always work out, as we found when FDR died and Truman assumed office-

But, come 2012, what with an anticipated Palin/Hillary slamdown...

What about the experience factor? I'm interested in the lib/progressive spin here...
ebrown p

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:36 pm
@A Lone Voice,
You obviously haven't heard. It is very clear that Sarah Palin is in way over her head. She is not any more qualified to be vice president than I am to be Quarterback of the New England Patriots.

I understood this at the convention. The press figured it out last week.

Now even Conservatives are getting the picture.

Palin will probably not quit the ticket (although some conservative pundits are now suggesting she develop "family issues"). But after Obama wins... you will never hear from Sarah Palin again, except for the made for cable movie.
A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@ebrown p,
Great lib/progressive slanted reply that echos just about every other lib/progressive here.

Now, want to take an actual shot at answering the question?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:39 pm
@ebrown p,
I disagree; the story is good enough for a movie.
A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
movie, movie, movie...

There goes that echo again.