The Presidential Debates!

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:33 pm
@barackman28,
Do you know how to spell "discrimination?"

You wrote:
Do you know that the Unemployment Rate among young black men in Chicago exceeds 25%?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:37 pm
@nimh,
I just spit tea at the monitor Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:22 pm
@barackman28,
Oh, hi, Kak.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:33 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Hm. How many people even saw the Couric interview?
I think quite a few. It's so damned weak that its tabloid style news prepackaged. SNL did a skit on it, and I'm not even sure Tina Fey's caricature of it seemed any more clueless than the original. (I almost wish she'd win, just so I could see Fey continue to play her. I love Tina Fey.)
Found it!

nimh

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:20 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Heh - that was very funny Cool
JPB

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:30 am
@nimh,
And, don't for the University of Chicago Law School.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:31 am
@ossobuco,
keep guessing
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
@nimh,
I'll tell you what's not funny. That people who live in the hellhole called Budapest and know nothing about Black People and Chicago and Elections in the United States think they can poitificate without being called on it.

Pusillanimity wins the day with Nimh!!!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
I wasn't sure where to post this or if it already had been, but this seems like a nice place:

Leaked: John McCains notes for the debates

http://assets.236.com/images/photo2/5945/original/original.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:39 pm
@hingehead,
hinge, Thanks for the good laugh. You know, when there's a choice between laughing and crying, I'll choose laughing all the time.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Tina Fey is a genius. I hope she does the skit again and again and again. Now we need someone to wipe the mud off the lovely soon to be first lady, MichelleObama, who was savaged by the racist Republicans. I do hope that on the day Senator Obama is inaugurated, Michele gives him a fist bump!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
Via Brad de Long's blog, here's an interesting exchange between David Broder and Frans de Wall about the candidates' body language during the debate. David Broder is a Washington Post commentator, Frans de Waal a primatologist.

First, David Broder wrote:
McCain as the Alpha Male: There were no knockout blows in the first presidential debate of the fall, but John McCain outpointed Barack Obama often enough to encourage his followers that he can somehow overcome the odds and deny the Democrats the victory that has seemed to be in store for them. It was a small thing, but I counted six times that Obama said that McCain was "absolutely right" about a point he had made. No McCain sentences began with a similar acknowledgment of his opponent's wisdom, even though the two agreed on Iran, Russia and the U.S. financial crisis far more than they disagreed. That suggests an imbalance in the deference quotient between the younger man and the veteran senator -- an impression reinforced by Obama's frequent glances in McCain's direction and McCain's studied indifference to his rival.

Whether viewers caught the verbal and body-language signs that Obama seemed to accept McCain as the alpha male on the stage in Mississippi, I do not know. But it reinforced my impression that McCain was the more aggressive debater. He flung the adjectives that stick in a listener's mind, calling Obama "naive" and therefore "dangerous"...

Source

Replying to Broder and his usage of 'Alpha Male', Frans de Waal wrote:
David Broder in the Washington Post of September 28, 2008, writes an opinion piece entitled "McCain as the Alpha Male." Since the term "alpha male" comes out of primatology, and I have known many males who qualify, I feel like commenting on Broder's observation

... an imbalance in the deference quotient between the younger man and the veteran senator -- an impression reinforced by Obama's frequent glances in McCain's direction and McCain's studied indifference to his rival....

A confident alpha male chimpanzee would never show studied indifference. I have seen such behavior only in males who were terrified of their challenger.... A self-confident alpha male just approaches his challenger and sets him straight, either by attacking him or performing a spectacular display of his own. No avoidance of eye contact: he takes the bull by the horns. It rather is the hesitant or fearful alpha male who avoids looking straight at the other.... I read the body language between McCain and Obama as that between a senior male being challenged by a remarkably confident junior one. The senior didn't know exactly what to do. He avoided eye contact and body orientation, probably realizing that a direct confrontation might not go his way. If McCain was an alpha male, it was an incredibly insecure one...

Source
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:49 pm
@Thomas,
And they both sell; the first one to McCain supporters, and the second to Obama.

0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:49 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas- DeWall is absolutely correct. In the ghetto, not looking at your opponent is a sign of cowardise and disrespect.
0 Replies