The Presidential Debates!

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
Yep. I remember when Kerry made Bush look like a talking chimp in the debates, but it didn't matter.

Exactly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm
@George,
Very good forecast; an eye for observing the obvious.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:52 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I agree H2o-man... the expectations for Obama should be set very very low.
In fact, if he is able to walk out on his own two feet after the debate-- it should be considered a victory.

Must see TV Mr. Green
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@George,
No matter what, no one will change his or her mind. ( none will address the plight of those innocent Falg waving patiots.

Signature"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die." ~( I am not sure. But i am sure the democracy in USA is not a poor man's DREAM or HOPE
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
How do you think Obama and McCain will do? What do you expect to see?

I expect to see shallow BS questions from the interviewers, and the routine, well rehearsed talking points from both candidates. No major screw-ups from either side. Same old, same old. Watching presidential debates is always the anticlimax of the campaign for me. I wonder why I keep watching them every four years.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:41 pm
@Thomas,
That's not the totality of the disappointments of these debates; the moderators have sucked big time.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
Actually, what disappoints me is how the debates were taken from the oversight of the League of Women Voters and rolled into a committee of repubs and dems.

Why? Ross Perot. This occurred in 1998, after the two parties decided a third party candidate might pose a danger to the status quo.

Wikipedia has a nice entry re this for anyone interested. In part, the LWV stated "The League of Women Voters is withdrawing sponsorship of the presidential debates...because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter. It has become clear to us that the candidates' organizations aim to add debates to their list of campaign-trail charades devoid of substance, spontaneity and answers to tough questions. The League has no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public. "

I'm not necessarily a third party guy, but this condition on the debates has just about eliminated a viable third party candidate in the future, and I think we're poorer for it...
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:53 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:
In part, the LWV stated "The League of Women Voters is withdrawing sponsorship of the presidential debates...because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter. It has become clear to us that the candidates' organizations aim to add debates to their list of campaign-trail charades devoid of substance, spontaneity and answers to tough questions. The League has no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public. "

I'm not necessarily a third party guy, but this condition on the debates has just about eliminated a viable third party candidate in the future, and I think we're poorer for it...

I agree wholeheartedly and more.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
Wouldn't it be grand if there was a whoopee cushion or a Pinocchio nose anytime a candidate told a lie?

Quote:

CNN Calls Out McCain Lie: Obama Does Have A Plan For Financial Crisis

Jed Lewison

John McCain keeps on outdoing himself with his lies. Now he's trying to make the totally false case that Barack Obama doesn't have a plan for the economic crisis. "Senator Obama," he says, "has still not offered any plan of any kind."

As CNN's Tom Foreman reports:

No plan from Obama? No way. To the contrary, Senator Obama has talked at length about reforming Wall Street, getting CEO pay packages under control, instituting new regulations to protect homeowners. In short, what everybody wants: stabilizing the economy.

Foreman also added that McCain has "been notably short on details on how he would handle this crisis."

See video at,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/22/cnn-calls-out-mccain-lie_n_128475.html

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:13 pm
@sozobe,
Obama will present his "soak the rich" platform as always.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Obama will present his "soak the rich" platform as always.

A Lone Voice. You want to see 'group think'. Here's Mr Group Think himself.
Lambchop

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@JTT,
I wish I could be there and present this tax chart so everybody could take a look at what their future taxes will be:

Notice who benefits with both candidates, and who doesn't.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EKZxRBIOg_E/SNmhXr19wWI/AAAAAAAAB6w/MR5SZwbOwIU/s1600/Numbers.jpg

Btw, I also agree that the debates should be turned back over to the League of Women voters.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:50 pm
@Lambchop,
404 error
Lambchop

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:51 pm
@dyslexia,
fixed that!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
Except that the $700 billion bailout will benefit the rich more than the middle class or poor. The rich are the ones most invested in banks and finance companies, but conservatives want all taxpayers to rescue their greed and incompetence.

Where's your brain?
Lambchop

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree, CI.

If anyone wants to read the article, where I found the tax chart, here is the link:

(I hope it works!)

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/11/news/economy/candidates_taxproposals_tpc/index.htm?postversion=2008061115
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:26 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
I expect to see shallow BS questions from the interviewers, and the routine, well rehearsed talking points from both candidates. No major screw-ups from either side. Same old, same old. Watching presidential debates is always the anticlimax of the campaign for me. I wonder why I keep watching them every four years.

Does anyone know who's moderating the first and 2nd debates? I know Bob Schieffer is doing the last one, and he is one of the best-- He won't mamby-pamby around.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:31 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Wouldn't it be grand if there was a whoopee cushion or a Pinocchio nose anytime a candidate told a lie?

I'm for the whoopee cushion. They'd be dead serious while lying-- all of a sudden fart-o-rama!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:34 am
@Cliff Hanger,
First Prez debate moderator: Jim Lehrer (I approve)

Second Prez debate moderator: Tom Brokaw (depends)

Third Prez debate moderator: Bob Schieffer (I approve)

VP debate moderator: Gwen Ifill (I approve in principle, but I seem to remember she bothered me during one of the primary debates. Definitely like that she's female in terms of pressing Palin on a point, making her actually answer, that sort of thing.)

Full details:

Quote:
First presidential debate: foreign policy and national security,
moderated by Jim Lehrer

Friday, September 26, University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.

-- Two-minute answers, followed by five-minute discussion for each
question.

Vice presidential debate: all topics, moderated by Gwen Ifill

Thursday, October 2, Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.

-- Ninety-second answers, followed by two-minute discussion for each
question. Two-minute closing statements.

Second presidential debate: all topics in town meeting format, moderated
by Tom Brokaw

Tuesday, October 7, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

-- Two-minute answers, followed by one-minute discussion for each
question.

Third presidential debate: the economy and domestic policy, moderated by
Bob Schieffer

Wednesday, October 15, Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.

-- Two-minute answers, followed by five-minute discussion for each
question. Two-minute closing statements.

All debates at 9:00 PM EST (dammit). (Late for me.) (I'll watch anyway.)

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:12 am
@A Lone Voice,
Echo that..
0 Replies