Palin is a Train Wreck Waiting to Happen

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@kickycan,
I remember that Carter, a nuclear physicist by training if I remember correctly, also pronounced it 'nucular'. Drove me bats. On the other hand, I found Carter to be interesting, and agreed with him on many issues at the time.

We all pronouce some words in a weird way, usually words we learn through reading but not hearing. One of mine that I'm still training myself out of is the word 'debacle' which I taught myself to be said deb-a - cle.. when it's really de-bah-cle. Then there's clem-a-tis (the right way) - I've been training myself on that for at least a decade.

So, I won't crucify someone about a misspelling or mispronunciation. Issues...
molto importante.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@JLNobody,
And I'm fond of JLNobody because he spells it 'judgement' as I and some others choose to despite being taught 'judgment'. Rebels, all of us 'e' adders.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@kickycan,
Unless it's spelled out phonetically on her teleprompter. Then she pronounces it "new-clear" (which is how it's spelled).

A person I know has a tangential connection to the whole Palin thing, plus she looks a lot like Palin (similar glasses, etc.) She's a sweet, mild-mannered person. I mentioned something about Palin (in terms of whether other people were bothering her about it) and her upper lip just curled... not an expression I've ever seen on her before. Just visceral "ew..."

There definitely is a strong female reaction AGAINST Palin which I don't think the McCain people were counting on.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@ossobuco,
and some of us spell 'pronounce' incorrectly on occasion...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, the McCain camp is now touting her long experience in foreign affairs. Seems she was exposed to an atlas in some of her geography classes.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:50 pm
@Rockhead,

I'm thinking "Belligerent, redneck white trash" hit home with you Drunk Laughing

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I suspect that it is a speech defect;
like, for instance, if u get robbed and complain to the police
about it, technically "the people of the State of NY" are the victims
of the crime and the criminal plaintiffs, and he who got robbed
is the "complainant".

Tho most folks pronounce it foneticly,
for YEARS, I had to listen to others saying " COMPLAINTANT ".
I suspect that thay coud not help it; something rong with their mouths.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@H2O MAN,
You would, you being so sensitive and all.

Why don't you give a shot at a constructive comment, insted of the mimicry you play at so poorly now?

(just a thought, Einstein...)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@JTT,
Bet she doesn't know where many countries are located on "that" atlas.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:54 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
There definitely is a strong female reaction AGAINST Palin which I don't think the McCain people were counting on

Sounds like my neighbor.... ex-DC-lobbist, uber-Republican. She took her McCain sign down when Palin joined the ticket. She's horrified by Palin.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@boomerang,
She sounds like a RINO.
kickycan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:20 pm
@JTT,
Yes, I also heard that she can beat her husband at the game, "Risk" nine out of ten times. Those are some impressive foreign policy credentials.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:25 pm
@JustBrooke,
Quote:
jodie34 wrote:

Where are her children and how often does she see them?

Shhhhhhhhhush! They'll label you sexist if you dare wonder about her children!

The motherhood argument doesn't hold up. She has plenty of competant family members and her husband to care for her litter of children.

The gun issue: if you come from this part of the country guns are an intregal part of daily life. I have no objections to this either.

With that said: Sarah Palin is a tank with eyes and she will mow you down if you get in her way. She will twist any political situation to fit her religious beliefs regardless of that document...what's it called? Oh yes, the Constitution of the United States, which mandates separation of church and state.

Please do not get me started on what the Supreme Court will look like if the Republicans win. Let's just say if they win I will pray (in a Liberal "I'm spiritual but not religious" sort of a way") that John Paul Stevens will be willing to stay in for at least four more years.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
I've yet to meet an intelligent, enlightned woman who is Pro Palin.

Maybe they're out there....if you are, ladies, might you step forward?
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
She sounds like a woman that has come to her senses.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:15 pm
@Bella Dea,
Quote:

Does that have anything to do with your definitional criteria ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
She sounds like a woman that has come to her senses.

Throwing away one 's freedom, in favor of collectivist-authoritarianism
is not coming to one 's senses.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, don't be so phucking stupid. There have been "Democratic" governments forever in the USA and things have never changed. You're so paranoid.

Been to Cuba lately?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
Yes, I also heard that she can beat her husband at the game, "Risk" nine out of ten times. Those are some impressive foreign policy credentials.

That is impressive, Kicky. How come George has never been able to beat Laura even once at the same game? Go figure, eh?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:33 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Maybe they're out there....if you are, ladies, might you step forward?

There are several Pro Palin Women in my life, a few of them are registered democrats.

0 Replies