Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, I don't know whether McCain told the joke or not. I wasn't there. I do not trust Salon to be honest or careful in their reporting about anybody, though, and certainly not about somebody not in the leftwing camp. I do trust them to rewrite or print any dirt that even might be true about anybody of any importance on the right.

I am not particularly fond of John McCain, it is true. But I prefer to be at least honest and decent about anybody whether I'm fond of them or not.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Like I say, there's just enough ambiguity there to make me suspicious.

There is no GD ambiguity!

Just because YOU did not notice it does not mean that it did not happen. This quote did not magically appear from an alternate dimension. It is documented on multiple sites. His apology is documented on multiple sites. You may want for there to be abiguity, but there is none.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know whether McCain told the joke or not. I wasn't there.

Blind. Partisanship.
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Perhaps you need to ask Hillary that...
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:27 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Blind. Partisanship.

Yeah, like your desperation to believe it isn't?
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:28 pm
@dlowan,
Ask Hillary what?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:28 pm
@old europe,
It's not only blind, she doesn't even bother to dig for the truth when it's out there in web-land.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Blind. Partisanship.

Yeah, like your desperation to believe it isn't?

There are enough sources that documented it. I quoted newsmax reporting it. To explain it away by saying "I don't know whether he said it or not, I wasn't there" if it's something coming from McCain, but complaining at length about the same stuff when Palin is the target - yes, that amounts to blind partisanship.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
"Desperation to believe it"?

It's like you're disputing that the sun came up this morning, because you slept in and didn't see it personally.
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Reference your post I was replying to.

What a subjective declaration!

I bet you haven't even looked at some of the examples of what Hillary was subjected to...and from the second Bill announced his candidacy for president ....YEARS before she was ever a candidate in her own right.

Not to mention the ongoing utter grossness of the obsessive attacks on Bill himself.

What a cesspool much of the opposition to both of them has been.

I deplore the crap on Palin...but you are just plain blind re what your side has thrown at the Clintons.

Yeecccchhhh.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:33 pm
Oh good, CI is here to bravely pile on like he actually had a clue about what is being discussed.

Look guys, I've been having a good weekend. My world is okay. I've said what i see and observe to the best of my ability. I accept that you all think I'm stupid, scum, blindly partisan, and/or too unfit to expect common courtesy and that's fine. I don't know whether John McCain told the joke as it was reported and I think there is plenty of ambiguity there to raise questions. I do know the media well enough to know they would not have buried it if it was as bad as you all want to believe. I think he should be ashamed if he told a joke like that even intended to be private conversation.

So why don't you congratulate yourselves on beating me up, and I'll go find something more interesting to do. And maybe Nimh or somebody can get the thread back on topic.

Okay? Ya'll have a good night now.
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Nobody's beating you up....you're being called on your partisanship.

But the point re Nimh's thread is well taken.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad, That's about the definitive conclusion for most of Fox's observations about this life. She suffers from selective myopia.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:35 pm
@dlowan,
I don't mind being called partisan. I freely admit that I am partisan. I do find it a whole lot hypocritical when passionately partisan people seem to think there is something wrong with me being partisan though. Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Beating you up? ROFL You do have a sense of yourself, and post your opinions without so much as a little research on Google. That's beyond the laugher curve.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The sweet lady I referenced most certainly isn't sexist, I assure you.

I'm afraid that I'm unlikely to be able to agree with you on just about any judgment you make in regard to any woman.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:41 pm
@Foxfyre,
Sigh.

The thing is you decry partisanship in assessing grossness in attacks, (and generally when it suits you) and claim to be fair and even-handed, and make big declarations about how your side has never stooped so low, then proceed to refuse to acknowledge chunks of evidence that they HAVE, and waver and wallyfootle around ..."I don't KNOW he said that" (despite many links to just that) ....and it's just bloody annoying.

BE bloody partisan for all I care,...it's no crime and 99.99% of us are, and the reat are lying....but don't claim not to be in certain areas, then behave in a ridiculously partisan fashion, and then wail when you get called on it.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:47 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
But....two wrongs and all that.

I don't think it's good/right/correct in any way. I guess I've just come to expect a lowest common denominator effect in American media and retail. I mean, those Hoosiers for Hottie buttons at the RNC. <shudder> I muttered to Set about it at the time, and posted somewhere here. I thought that disgusting and sexist - and that was Palin supporters.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:47 pm
@dlowan,
Can you give me a link to the direct quote? Maybe a YouTube clip of him actually saying it? To whom was he speaking? In what forum? In what context? Who heard him say it? At the microphone? Or in a cloakroom to a couple of friends? Do you know? I looked at maybe 3 dozen links most of which were blogs making hay with it. The only valid news sources I found were in personal opinion hit pieces trying to paint him as an angry miscreant or something.

Why do you want to believe he said it? Why is it wrong for me to question whether he said it as it has been portrayed? Could it be your partisanship that refuses to give him any benefit of the doubt whatsoever?

And please spare me your self righteous judgment of what I do or do not claim. Like I said, there is nothing wrong in being partisan. But I do get tired of the hypocrisy of those who think that others speak out of 'blind partisanship' but that they themselves do not.

And I'm going to go watch a great movie. Anybody care to join me?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
Jesus Murphy, what is the matter with you? it was in Newsmax, it was in Salon, it was in his local paper, it was in the Associated Press. You couldn't get more different perspectives - all reporting the same thing.

He said it. He apologized.

He was, and still is, a popular favourite of American media. He was not, and is not, a popular favourite of fundamental Christian Republicans.

Spin it all you want.