Wall Street Journal: McCains assault on Cox 'un-presidential'

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
The Wall Street Journal blasted John McCain today:

Quote:

(Quoting McCain)"The chairman of the SEC serves at the appointment of the President and has betrayed the public's trust. If I were President today, I would fire him."

Wow. "Betrayed the public's trust." Was Mr. Cox dishonest? No. He merely changed some minor rules, and didn't change others, on short-selling. String him up! Mr. McCain clearly wants to distance himself from the Bush Administration. But this assault on Mr. Cox is both false and deeply unfair. It's also un-Presidential.

In a crisis, voters want steady, calm leadership, not easy, misleading answers that will do nothing to help. Mr. McCain is sounding like a candidate searching for a political foil rather than a genuine solution. He'll never beat Mr. Obama by running as an angry populist like Al Gore,

Is the Wall Street Journal now part of the "liberal" media... or is the McCain campaign coming apart at the seams.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122178318884054675.html?mod=todays_us_opinion

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
@ebrown p,
This is no different than when McCain suggested giving everybody a handout to pay for higher fuel prices for the summer months. His giveaway programs are meant to get votes - and nothing else.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
I think the American People today are fed up with people who do not do their job and do not take personal responsibility for their failures.

One can argue how much "fault" goes to Mr. Cos, but I would want a leader to hold those in a position of RESPONSIBILITY accountable.

I applaud McCain for his direct statements and making sure those in charge are held accountable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:01 am
@Woiyo9,
Oh, are you including McCain to the same standards? He's been in government for 26-years, and voted 90% with Bush (95% during the last congress), and now McCain wants change? Come on! You can't see the inconsistencies?
Woiyo9

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yep, about as long as Joe Biden has been in office.

Joe Biden and John McCain are buddies.

Biden is going to be part of the "change team?"

Come on! You can't see the inconsistencies?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
@Woiyo9,
No, your statements are full of holes. Show us how both voted the same way for all the initiatives? That they are "buddies" is a straw man; that's not relevant on how they voted.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
Bush voted in the Senate? How did he do that?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
McCain called for Mr. Cox to be fired. This seems awfully impulsive.

This raises the question of McCain's temperment-- which is the reason the Wall Street Journal uses the term un-presidential.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:17 am
@ebrown p,
Now he's backed off, once he was told that Cox couldn't be directly fired - he wants to suggest that Cox is fired.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
McCain is "shoot first, then ask questions later" kind of decision maker. Dangerous to the extreme when they have control of the "red" button.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Woiyo9,
I think the American People today are fed up with people who do not do their job and do not take personal responsibility for their failures.

= wonderful English . I appreciate though it is addressed to the criminal GANGS in white house.
the fallacy/fault lies not the FUROROS but the innocent couch potatoes who are not critical enough.
But it is not USA#s Aid but a decese all pervasive/ omnipotent.
By picking up a new dancing doll the system of usa will never face any CHANGE nor the people will ever have HOPE:
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:53 pm
@Woiyo9,
Quote:

I'm always amazed at how these right wing wackos can say/write crap like this, seemingly, with a straight face. What planet have you been living on for the last eight years. And this was the "Reality Earth" guy. What a f**king laugh.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Now he's backed off, once he was told that Cox couldn't be directly fired

So how long has Mr McCain been in government? Time to send him back to Government 101.
snood

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:30 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Bush voted in the Senate? How did he do that?

You know that's not what was meant - you know that he referred to McCain voting 90+% of the time with the horrendous Bush policies, and that is inconsistent with now posturing about "accountability".

Why don't you try to have even a shred of credibility, or just STFU?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:38 am
@JTT,
JTT, The real question is "why is McCain even in government?" Especially now when he's senile, and all the exposure of his lying and lobby connections while bad mouthing them. Can't people see the hypocrisy and contradictions?

Amazing what politics can do to people's thinking ability!
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
I'm not sure why the Dems throw out this 90% figure that McCain "voted with Bush". For one thing Bush doesn't have a vote in congress for McCain (or Obama, for that matter) to agree with. Secondly, Bush signs all legislation (whether initiated by Repubs or Dems in Congress), so if you consider Bush's signing the legislation into law to be his vote, you would find almost all Democrats to have voted with Bush a significant percentage of the time as well (I've seen quotes that Obama has voted with Bush around 40% of the time). Thirdly, as noted in quote below, most votes in Congress are procedural and consequently, members vote with their parties exclusively in those circumstances. Finally, how many times did Obama vote against his party thus leading to a 50-50 tie requiring a VP tie-breaking vote....Answer: None. McCain has done so on 3 occassions during the Bush Presidency, actually voting against most Republicans leading to the tie that Cheney needed to break (Cheney voting against McCain).

I still argue that a better metric to look at is how often has the candidate voted for what he feels is best for the nation, vice his individual party. And McCain wins that metric hands down.

Quote:
This week Obama has begun a constant refrain that there is "not a dime worth of difference" between Bush's and McCain's views. It is a consistent theme of Democratic pundits on talk shows.

Is this the same McCain who drove Republicans nuts on campaign finance, the environment, taxes, torture, immigration and more? Where has McCain not crossed swords with his own party?

As it's being used, the 90 percent figure, from Congressional Quarterly, is nonsensical. As Washington Post congressional reporter Jonathan Weisman explained, "The vast majority of those votes are procedural, and virtually every member of Congress votes with his or her leadership on procedural motions."

Obama might want to be a little careful with these attacks, as the same measure has him voting with Democrats 97 percent of the time.

The American Conservative Union finds that the average Republican senator voted conservatively 85 percent of the time, and that the average Democrat voted conservatively 13 percent of the time. McCain voted conservatively 74 percent of the time.

Although it's at the opposite end of the political spectrum, Americans for Democratic Action essentially agreed. It found that the average Republican senator voted liberally just over 12 percent of the time, and the average Democrat voted liberally 89 percent of the time. McCain voted liberally 24 percent of the time - twice as frequently as the average Republican.
source
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
@slkshock7,
Here, take a gander here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThoBMfcFRc
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:08 pm
@slkshock7,
Translation: Here, I made up a bullshit metric specifically designed to make McCain look good!

Quote:

As it's being used, the 90 percent figure, from Congressional Quarterly, is nonsensical. As Washington Post congressional reporter Jonathan Weisman explained, "The vast majority of those votes are procedural, and virtually every member of Congress votes with his or her leadership on procedural motions."

It's not nonsensical. It's also quite obvious that neither Weisman nor the writer of this Philly piece bothered to do their research; the CQ article measured the number of times that Bush voiced an opinion on an issue, and used that to determine the accuracy number; and they specifically excluded procedural votes, concentrating only on tangible votes.

Nice try tho. Everybody knows that McCain sold his soul to win your party's nomination.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Here, take a gander here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThoBMfcFRc
I laughed out loud and grabbed the same video before seeing you did the same. What a pathetic attempt at the bob and weave:
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:28 pm
@snood,
horrendous Bush policies
English( american English) is not a foreign language for you.
Why the hell you use a mild word to describe the reality.
Are you afraid?
0 Replies