I Got a Question About Beauty Queens

Mame

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Cliff Hanger wrote:
Why are you so defensive about this? Ruthless. Self-centered. I read this and think Holy S***, surely this woman has some measure of kindness?

do you .......secretly loathe... sexy women?

Do you see a woman in heels and makeup and think 'slut' ?

If CH sees defensive, ruthless and self-centered in what I wrote (not to mention unkindness), then he's not worth arguing with. And Mismi didn't roll over, she just reconsidered her words to include everyone, not just pretty people. I still don't agree that because she thinks we should all do something then we should. That's the point I was making.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
do you .......secretly loathe... sexy women?

Do you see a woman in heels and makeup and think 'slut' ?

Ah, you're resorting to the misogyny angle. Not necessary-- especially considering you answered my question-- you were speaking about strangers, not employees.

Yes, good hygiene, grooming makes the person all the more acceptable, but I am not certain as to how you interpret that to mean I loathe sexy women or consider them to be sluts if they put on heels and make-up.

I thought you were talking about news anchors and good grooming.
mismi

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
However, such is the sometimes-brainless nature of fashion and show biz!

I didn't really miss your point - I just didn't address it other than to say I don't know my exact feelings on it myself. I think that this is well put though. There is no accounting for taste at times...though the heels generally do lengthen the calves and make the legs look longer. A man thought of it I am sure. Very Happy Wink

Seems to me if this was not initially meant to cause more interest in the Contest, it does now. I can think of no other reason for swimsuit competition than to look at the pretty girls in bathing suits. Is this good or bad? Sometimes I lean toward bad - sometimes indifference.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
it always is a bit stressful explaining your self over and ov er again.
but I hear you, and I agree with you. And I like hearing your point.

Thank you Shewolf
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:30 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:

Ah, you're resorting to the misogyny angle.

Im sorry. I should have added a little laughing face because i was truly joking. Not trying to take a jab at you.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:

I thought you were talking about news anchors and good grooming.

I was, and still am.. but my thoughts and my posts can be all over the place.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thanks for clarifying. These writing forums can make it easy to misinterpret-- I appreciate your strong opinions, there's a fearlessness and an independence in them that indicates it's not just your looks that you use to get you by in life.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:56 am
Just my 2 cents, from a personal experience with this whole beauty pageant thing....

When I first came to Austin, I did temp work while looking for a job. Some of the assignments were pretty quirky and fun, but this one assignment I had for a weekend really opened my eyes and depressed me.

Some BP company had a, what would you call it, an audition call? It was for females between the age of around 13 to22 or something like that. Me and 3 or 4 other people had the assignment of pre-screening the people who showed up.

It was totally brutal, in every way.

First off, I was convinced that I'd probably only talk to a dozen people or something. I mean, who cares about a beauty pageant, right?

Well, it turns out a lot. I talked to HUNDREDS of people each of the days, as did the other screeners. We had just a few questions to ask, but they were geared to viciously separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ok, fine, I saw the sense in that, but I was disgusted with myself, but at the same time was determined to see it through, because the phychological aspect of it was fascinating.

The vast majority of the girls/women were totally normal...kinda cute, pleasant personality....standard answers....I don't think it affected them one way or the other at the end of the day if they were "chosen" to be in the select group that was given the pageant spiel.

There were however, and I'll be blunt, the fat girls, girls with glasses and poor posture, girls with limp hair, too short, a zit or 2, in other words, people who on the street were totally average, and that was it.

They were the ones with this puppy dog look in their eye, like "please, like me, pick me" The girls who had dreams of fitting in, being special for once, but that just wasn't gonna happen.

Then, and I found this strange, there were just a few girls that obviously didn't want to be there, had no business being there, and made me want to cry. I mean, the really unattractive girl who couldn't make eye contact, would mumble no more than 2 words at a time....but somehow they were there. I think in some cases the parents wanted them to build some self esteem by trying out for this, but believe me, it did nothing but devistate them.

I realized on the 2nd day that the Real Beauty Queens waited until the end to show up....The poised young women in suits, perfectly coiffed hair, all the right answers, and they knew it. This wasn't their first rodeo.

The worse part though, was between screenings, the pageant people would take the couple hundred screened in from the past few hours, and give this canned spiel, which ended up with people getting out their checkbooks.

The "Official Spokesperson" was a woman who was in her late 30's, who was a past "mrs. america" or something.....she was this neurotic woman who cried on cue at the same moment of her speach, one given probably 4 or 5 times over 2 days. She showed up late and totally hungover on the 2nd day, but still managed to sparkle for the young hopefuls and their parents.
0 Replies