I Got a Question About Beauty Queens

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:

Do you work in TV?

I have 2 friends who do. Good friends.
One is a news anchor. The other a cameraman.

No. I do not work in that business, but I think I can I have a good understanding of it. And if Im wrong, then my decision to start using flavored lotion on my toes is only validated at this point.. Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@mismi,
Do I like how women look in heels? Yes! Do I like how they look in bathing suits? Hell, YES!

But, you totally miss my point. The wearing of high heels and swim suits seems so incongruous. I've never seen it done outside of beauty contest. It's not what I would consider beautiful and makes me wonder who and why they thought it up. However, such is the sometimes-brainless nature of fashion and show biz!

Then there's that whole concept and practice of having a contest that focuses on beauty. Talent part is a throw-in and the essay question...is ludicrous because those with brains hardly are showcased. IMHO, it's all such a narrow focus and doesn't do womanhood a service.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:11 am
@Ragman,
i could not agree more.

I never DID understand that swimsuit thing either.. but.. ehh

i dont understand college tuition costs either.. and if you want to give me enough money to cover college just because I can balance in a pair of stilettos with a bathing suit on..

well.. Laughing
Changing room anyone?
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@shewolfnm,
hehehe. It's truly amazing what society values and will pay dearly for.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@mismi,
Mismi said: I kind of think it is behooved of people who are beautiful - who people listen to, flock to, follow readily - to use their gift to make things better for more. It seems to me that to whom much is given much is expected. It is important to use your gifts to help others. Once again - that is just my thoughts. If everybody were selfless - we would see a lot less need. Of course it is an imperfect world, and we have to be understanding of those who can't see that. Otherwise it is possible to become bitter and inward. I, personally, can do without that.
~~~
I don't know why anyone would think beautiful people or any person, for that matter, is behooved "...to use their gift to make things better for more." Why?

"It is important to use your gifts to help others." Why?

I don't consider it my calling in life to make things better for others. As a free person on this planet, I help if and when I choose to, and I'm not obliged by anyone else's thinking to do otherwise.

~~~

On topic, I agree with those that think you can legitimately use whatever you have (beauty, brains, charisma, etc) to get ahead. Whyever not? Singers use their voices, comedians use their senses of humour, etc. I don't intentionally use my looks, but I know they've helped. But then, so have other things. And I am grateful for all the help I get, so...
mismi

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm
@Mame,
Thought about it and you're right Mame. I don't think it is up to just the pretty people. That was a buzz thing going on.

But I do think it is important for us to help each other. And our gifts - what we are good at help us do that. I think it is as important as being conscious of our recycling and protecting the animals. I think it is as important as voting your conscience in the elections.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7268496.stm
Quote:
Depression can be traced all the way back to the Stone Age, say Dr Keedwell, when close-knit communities of about 50 people would have identified it quickly. The rest of the group would have rallied round and changes followed, such as a new role for the individual.

Some remote communities are more aware of it. The Banda tribe in Uganda calls it "illness of thought" and those affected are allowed time out from the group, a concession not extended to many with the condition in the UK.

The high and rising incidence in the UK and US - compared to countries like Brazil and Mexico - could be due to the breakdown of family bonds and the fragmentation of society. And compared to past decades, there are increased expectations of success.

The reason I think it is so important is because there are those who don't have support and feel alone. If I only looked out for myself I would not see that. I am not responsible for everyone. But I would like to help the ones I do see.

But if you choose not to believe the same as me then that doesn't reflect badly on you. Those are just my own convictions. I wouldn't ask you to live by those. And I did say those were just my thoughts...I am no Einstein. I admit it. I am a bit overly idealistic sometimes...that I know.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@shewolfnm,
Why would you use your looks to get someone to help you retrieve something on the shelf when it's their job to help you? I'm not clear on your robo-atttitude toward something such as this example.

As for the TV newswoman-- I agree about the grooming, but I disagree about being overweight. I've seen larger woman on local news and even network news, eg Jackie Judd-- it does happen. I am not talking obese, but they definitely have extra pounds.

Yes, looks matter, especially for the obvious things, beauty pageants, etc. but I think you are overstating and dramatizing other contexts for how women move about and succeed in the world.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The Miss America pageant for instance requires the contestants to know how to walk, stand, deport themselves,

Laughing That is quite a skill. I once deported myself to Italy for a few weeks. I can't tell you how difficult that was.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@mismi,
Quote:
Thought about it and you're right Mame.

You backed down mighty fast-- I was interested in hearing you support what you'd said. I wanted to know. Instead you rolled over and showed her your belly.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
The Miss America pageant for instance requires the contestants to know how to walk, stand, deport themselves,

Laughing That is quite a skill. I once deported myself to Italy for a few weeks. I can't tell you how difficult that was.

Yeah, that would be a good trick but I doubt it was on the requirements. The first definition of deport was:
Main Entry: de·port
Function: transitive verb
Pronunciation: di-'pOrt, -'po rt, de-
Etymology: Middle French deporter, from Latin deportare to carry away, from de- + portare to carry -- more at FARE
1 : to behave or comport (oneself) especially in accord with a code
2 [Latin deportare] a : to carry away b : to send out of the country by legal deportation
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I don't consider it my calling in life to make things better for others. As a free person on this planet, I help if and when I choose to, and I'm not obliged by anyone else's thinking to do otherwise.

~~~

On topic, I agree with those that think you can legitimately use whatever you have (beauty, brains, charisma, etc) to get ahead. Whyever not? Singers use their voices, comedians use their senses of humour, etc. I don't intentionally use my looks, but I know they've helped. But then, so have other things. And I am grateful for all the help I get, so...

Why are you so defensive about this? Ruthless. Self-centered. I read this and think Holy S***, surely this woman has some measure of kindness?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Why is that, Foxfyre?

Heck I dunno. I guess I never went looking for any maybe?

But guys, it is very simple. It is a BEAUTY pageant and that includes physical beauty. I do know there has been considerable discussion about doing away with the swimsuit competition as being unnecessary to judge beauty, but that has been such a long tradition that there is a lot of resistance to eliminating it. Even the girls themselves objected as those with a really outstanding figure wanted to be able to capitalize on it. Would you guy that sometimes watch the televised competition watch it if there was no swimsuit competition? As a woman, I disliked that part. I loved seeing the beatiful evening gowns and the talent competition was the most fun. What whatever floats anybody's boat I guess.

Sarah Palin, in an interview sometime in the last two weeks, did say that the swimsuit competition was the only part she didn't like. She didn't like lining up and having male judges compare her butt to everybody else's butts. That was uncomfortable for her. (She explained it in pretty much those words too.)
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Well - I don't believe it is JUST up to the PRETTY people. And I am a weeney like that - hate confrontation and just want everyone to be happy. Sue me.

I do think it helps to be pretty - cause people really do pay more attention and tend to do just like they did in high school - follow the lead of the "beautiful people". In that respect more do receive help. And I think I supported why I think it is important for us to use our gifts. Why am I explaining myself to you? Wink

this is stressful. Razz
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:

Why would you use your looks to get someone to help you retrieve something on the shelf when it's their job to help you?

Im talking about customers helping. Not workers.
it is not YOUR job as a customer, to help me get something off of a shelf, but you as the customer and as a person in the isle with me, are going to be more comfortable with me approaching you, and more comfortable with hearing me and understanding my needs and what I am asking if my appearance is pleasing.. If i have not showered in a few days, if I have not washed my hands, my face, my clothes are dirty..etc ( homeless people get this all the time. Their hygiene sucks.. so people ignore them).. but if I dont do those basic things, you will be repulsed by me. I will have to work harder to get your attention and I could end up not getting the help I need. it isnt about manipulating, it isnt dramatic. Its the truth. So, since I know that doing those simple things can make me easier on the eyes and more acceptable to society Im going to do it.. its a tool.
Sorry.
Its just true. When someone is comfortable with you, they are more willing to listen, more apt to help if necessary, and just all around easy going. Im not being dramatic at all. its TRUE that when things are visually appealing, WE as humans are more comfortable with it.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:
Why are you so defensive about this? Ruthless. Self-centered. I read this and think Holy S***, surely this woman has some measure of kindness?

do you .......secretly loathe... sexy women?

Do you see a woman in heels and makeup and think 'slut' ?
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
You take the amusement out of everything.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

this is stressful. Razz

it always is a bit stressful explaining your self over and ov er again.
but I hear you, and I agree with you. And I like hearing your point. Smile
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

You take the amusement out of everything.

Sorry. I'm so used to your ummmm.......close scrutiny.....I couldn't be sure you were kidding this time.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Very diplomatically put.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Very diplomatically put.

LOL. Thank you. Smile
0 Replies