Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:26 pm
just turned on the telly and the report is that some 380 people who had elected to not evacuate had to be rescued from roof-tops etc, other than those who had no means to evacuate I think them dumb-asses ought to be charged every cent for their rescue and do extensive community service doing post-storm clean-up for putting their rescuers at risk. bastards!

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@dyslexia,
I can sing a song about the natural disaster.
Ask any one behind your borders.
Everyone has a song to sing.
As per your rule of law Jesus should be crucified everyday.
When the government is impotent/ignorant/irresponsible/corrupt/corporate-controlled/callous/criminal like in N O or Dacca or anywhere around the globe, i can understand those who risk their life to safeguard their hard earned pittance..
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:38 pm
@dyslexia,
We should have left them.
If they drowned thats just to bad.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:38 pm
@dyslexia,
Same idiots waving their flags on the sea wall as the **** rolled it...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:08 pm
Ray Nagin of New Orleans performed abysmally and incompetently in advance of, during, and post Katrina. He got it right for Hanna and he told the people in no uncertain terms to get out, get out now, and if you don't, you're on your own. And he put the process in motion to help the people get out.

The Galveston mayor probably should have taken that position re Ike too. He told them that failure to leave would result in certain death. I guess that wasn't forceful enough. Maybe adding something like, "And we won't be doing anything to prevent that" would have worked better?

Seriously my heart goes out to those who lost homes and businesses and loved ones. We know folks in that area that we haven't heard from and we're worried. But honestly. When will we demand that people start taking some responsibility for themselves?
Green Witch

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
I heard the authorities were telling people who insisted on not evacuating to write their social security number on their arm with a water proof pen. That advice would get my ass moving out of town.
cjhsa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:53 pm
@dyslexia,
Throw them an anchor.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I heard the authorities were telling people who insisted on not evacuating to write their social security number on their arm with a water proof pen. That advice would get my ass moving out of town.

That was the police chief. Yep, it'd get me going, too. (If I needed any further motivation.)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
It was my poor self which had posted every year about the plight of New Orleans citizen.
Even after three years hundreds of poor people who had left their homes to save their life is not able to retrace their way back to their original residence.
It shows how reckless or indifferent the government.
Two parties are struggling with corporate donations to usharp the seat of Bush.
None had shown any compassion to think about those displaced humanbeings.
Change will never occur nor compassion will be seen .
Wave the flag and shout God bless America and discredit the critical voices.
cjhsa

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Most of those displaced weren't really human.....
Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:25 pm
@cjhsa,
cj. as usual, you are being sub-human yourself.

(prolly ain't the night to jack with me...)
littlek

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:27 pm
@Rockhead,
I think he went off his meds again.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:29 pm
@littlek,
We'll hope he rediscovers them...

Hey Lil'K.

How's N'englund?
littlek

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:32 pm
@Rockhead,
New England is cooling down for the season. How is is.... um.... how is where you're at?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:35 pm
@littlek,
Kansas is verra wet at the moment, and prolly getting wetter.

Makin' the week's chow, salmon patties, and sirloin fresh veggie soup.

Go Sox?
littlek

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:39 pm
@Rockhead,
So, is the wet from Ike?

I'm not paying attention to the Sox this year. I have too much going on. Also, I got caught twice in game traffic and am pissed off at the whole Fenway thing. Today it took me almost 2 hours to run a 40 minute errand.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:42 pm
@littlek,
Not Ike, we were wet when Houston was still dry.

Been a weird weather year, and Ike's fallout, if we get any will be tomorrow night.

Sox split today, btw...

(I hate traffic, myself, but there is none in podunk)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:38 pm
@dyslexia,
Wednesday noon - voluntary evacuation for the west end but not the city of Galveston
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/media?id=6382486

Wednesday evening - mandatory evacuation for the west end
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/media?id=6384751

Thursday morning after the beginning of the workday
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080909_tj_galveston_evacuations_west_end.5df47ae7.html

Mandatory evacuation called for 7:00AM Friday for the west end only. The rest of the island/county however was on voluntary evacuation and encourage to shelter at home.

Quote:
Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said those residents who choose to stay on the island should shelter at home.

“Asking people to leave the island is the very last thing I want to do. I feel that sheltering in place is the best option right now,” said Thomas.

She said that ordering a mandatory evacuation for the remainder of Galveston would not be practical and possibly dangerous.

"We do not intend to evacuate Galveston Island. It's the very last thing I ever want to do. We did that once and we don't want to do it again."

"Go to the grocery store and go home."

Approximately one hour later
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/media?id=6384874

At approximately 10:00 Thursday residents of Galveston were told that they were in a mandatory evacuation. Most were already at work. Texas law allows for missing work to prepare for or escape from a hurricane only if under "mandatory" evacuation orders. Insurance companies will not insure an evacuated property unless the windows and doors are boarded over. Residents (many of whom were not aware of the evacuation order until after their work day) were expected to board up their properties and evacuate as soon as possible. By 8:00 am Friday morning the storm surge had already begun and roads 10 blocks inland were under water.

Sure there were some fools. Others simply got stuck.

Some of us were discussing it here.
http://able2know.org/topic/121862-9#post-3399101
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:38 pm
@dyslexia,
And what's up with the reporters interviewing looters?

"So, I hear you came to find a little bit of history?"

"Yep, this sign used to belong to this-here hotel. I'm a-gonna hang it on my wall at home...."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:15 am
Husband was going to attend a convention in Houston the day this storm was set to hit land.
The advice the city gave was to prepare for rain, but things should be ok.
( their response to the conventions questions about safety)

The convention said " never mind, we will just see yall next year.
This was Thursday

Friday, there was a notice NOT TO ENTER the city of Houston , nor to go any farther south.
So if even people outside the area are told not to enter, why are people staying?
And why will the bill for rescue become so large due to peoples 'it wont happen to me' attitude?
Im sure there are a few cases where it may have been impossible for someone to get out . A handicapped person for example. but for the most part, everyone else can go. And I am willing to bet, even if you didnt own a car, you could have stuck out your thumb on the high way and gotten a ride farther inland no problem.