Palin is a very clever distraction.

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
I am pro life, pro God, pro defense/national security, pro second amendment, pro abstinance for kids, and have no problem with others who share my convictions re that. That's on a personal level. I also have no problem with those who do not share my views on a personal level. I do not want those who share my views or those who do not share my views forcing their personal views on me at any level.

On a political level, I do not require that a candate share my views on a personal level so long as he or she understands basic constitutional principles, appreciates and defends the best of our traditional values that have made our nation a great nation, governs according to the rule of law, and appoints judges who base their rulings on Constitutional principle and the law.

What has Sarah Palin said that makes you think she would force her personal views on you?
Debra Law

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 01:18 pm
@revel,
In response to Foxfyre, revel wrote: "Look at it like this; a mayor ask a person 'what if I asked you to kill my ex-husband?' Even if the ex-husband is still living, just simply asking the question raises some legitimate questions."

Another example: "What if I ask you two dozen times why the man I hate with a passion, my ex-brother-in-law, is still a trooper?"

Because Palin attempted to fire the librarian, and did in fact fire the commissioner, plus she fired a multitude of other people, we can readily discern a pattern of unethical conduct and abuse of power.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 04:39 pm
Bill Maher sums things up: Palin has a 'small mind'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-gid1D7gF8&feature=related
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:12 pm
@Debra Law,

Sarah Palin is a gathering storm that will draw unheard of numbers of women/moms to the republican party.

Women of America will ensure a McCain / Palin victory.

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@H2O MAN,

Tina Fey is awesome in this video

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:49 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O, you should watch the whole skit.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:55 pm
@littlek,

I have and Tina Fey does a great job with the impersonation.

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:56 pm
@H2O MAN,
"I can see Russia from my house."
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:00 pm
@hingehead,
SNL is still a comedy show

Full Video

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@Debra Law,
After watching Bill M., I clicked on a side-bar video. Sarah Palin: Right to Know... It refuted her claims in video format, but can pack a punch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ntlH-vt2I&feature=related

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@littlek,

You've got to love Palin!

If you don't.. you're nothing more than a racist and a sexist pig fu*ker Laughing

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
SNL is still a comedy show

No ****? Rocket scientist.

So you can think it's funny but I can't?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
@hingehead,
You didn't laugh?
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:10 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

What has Sarah Palin said that makes you think she would force her personal views on you?

You're kidding, right? Anyone who has such radical views and is about to enter the race on a presidential ticket, scares the sh*it out of me. Do you honestly think that she won't pursue her agenda should she ever enter the White House?
You Republicans have an awful lot of trust in God to believe your candidates, whereas us Democrats have to rely strictly on reality.

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:12 pm
@H2O MAN,
LMBO
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

You're kidding, right? Anyone who has such radical views and is about to enter the race on a presidential ticket, scares the sh*it out of me. Do you honestly think that she won't pursue her agenda should she ever enter the White House?
You Republicans have an awful lot of trust in God to believe your candidates, whereas us Democrats have to rely strictly on reality.

Well there's two ways to look at it Jane. I don't see her views as radical. From my perspective they are rather mainstream since millions and millions of Americans share them. I do see some who share all of your views as extremely radical and yes, dangerous. That does not include you personally, but I would be uncomfortable with nut cases sharing Sarah Palin's views--she has in no way demonstrated that she herself is a nut case--getting into power and I would be uncomfortable with nut cases sharing your views getting into power.

Did Sarah Palin attempt to outlaw abortion in Wasilla as mayor? No she did not. Did Sarah palin attempt to outlaw abortion in Alaska as governor? No she did not. Has she suggested that she will attempt to have abortion outlawed in the USA if she is president or vice president? No she has not. All she has done is express her personal views. Every principle in the Constitution, in equal rights, in free speech, and fair play allows her to express her personal opinions.

And therein is the difference. Again, I don't want anybody sharing my personal views or your personal views FORCING those views on me. To demand that candidate be acceptable only if they share YOUR views is extremely radical.

And I don't want people sharing your views to damn me or those who share my views simply because I hold a different point of view than you do.

Our Constitution specifies that there will be no religious test for anyone seeking high office. I'm sure had all these other issues become issues when our Founding Fathers were forging our Constitution, they would have expanded that statement a bit to include some of this other stuff.

The important thing is to listen to what politicians actually pledge to do, and whether those things are compatible with the Oath of Office that they take:
Quote:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

That simple oath is powerful and says a lot re what a President is charged to do and also allowed to do.

If every candidate for high office had to agree with everybody on what he or she was allowed to believe or what convictions s/he could hold, nobody would ever be eligible for high office anywhere.

0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:

Frankly, Sarah Palin's personal beliefs have nothing to do with politics - ideally. I don't care what the label is she's associating herself with, once
the elective leaders starts infringing onto my personal life (pro life, pro God, pro defense, pro guns, pro abstinence) then I have a problem with them.

This is on a personal level, not a political one.

Just as many on the right feel about political candidates who hold personal views supporting gun control, affirmative action, anti-property rights, etc.

All politics is personal. I understand you and your circle not supporting Palin; I expect it. Just as I (or women I know) would never support a far left woman running for office).

My point is this: There ARE a lot of women supporting Palin, and the lib/progressive component of the women's movement, NOW, Gloria Steinem, and some of your other icons do not speak for them.

The proof? It's out there, if you bother to look for it...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:27 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I also have no problem with those who do not share my views on a personal level. I do not want those who share my views or those who do not share my views forcing their personal views on me at any level.

On a political level, I do not require that a candate share my views on a personal level so long as he or she understands basic constitutional principles, appreciates and defends the best of our traditional values that have made our nation a great nation, governs according to the rule of law, and appoints judges who base their rulings on Constitutional principle and the law.

I've been a member of this forum over 4 years, and your words are not true. You want your party in power precisely so you can pack the SC with those who share your ideology and thus impose your ideology on the rest of us.

Debra Law

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
@Debra Law,
Again, Foxfyre wrote: "I do not require that a candate share my views on a personal level so long as he or she understands basic constitutional principles...."

With respect to basic constitutional principles, Palin is ignorant. Here's an example of her ignorance:

Quote:
Alaska could revoke leases for oil fields like Prudhoe Bay if top energy companies refuse to participate in a government natural gas pipeline plan, Gov Sarah Palin told Reuters in an interview.

Exxon Mobil Corp, BP Plc and ConocoPhillips together control more than 35 trillion cubic feet of known gas reserves on the Alaska North Slope.

But the companies declined to participate in a process backed by Palin to jump-start a long-delayed gas pipeline, arguing they needed a long-term tax deal from the state first.

Palin called the refusal "unconstitutional."

"When the conditions of these leases are not met, especially after decades, it is time to open them up and allow other companies to come in here and compete for the right to tap the resources," the Republican governor told Reuters this week in an interview.

http://news.theage.com.au/business/alaska-threatens-oil-leases-over-plan-20080221-1ti1.html

The leaseholders (the oil and gas companies)--who are the working interest owners of the oil and gas located beneath the leased acreage in the North Slope--may have breached the lease by failing to develop the resources. (We can't determine if the companies breached their lease contract without first examining the terms of the lease, the applicable law of oil and gas contracts, and whether or not their alleged lack of performance warrants a revocation of the lease.)

However, people who have a few working brain cells are aware, if they breach a contract, they have not engaged in an "unconstitutional" act. Additionally, people who oppose a governor's plan have not engaged in an "unconstitutional" act.

Sarah Palin as the governor of Alaska, ignorantly told the Reuters journalist that the leaseholders' refusal to support her plan without first obtaining a tax concession from the state was "unconstitutional."

Palin is a moron.

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Palin is a moron.

And yet she is much smarter than Obama.