parados

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:
I agree. Only the people at the speech would have cackled and laughed and clapped and come to life when Obama made his comment IF the GOP hadn't made it an issue.

But they made it an issue, didn't they?
How did they make it an issue? They applauded part of his speech. That doesn't make it an issue. It only means they applauded it.

You might want to look up the word "issue" in a dictionary. Which one do you think applies before the GOP took issue with the line?

Of course the audience had a reference of Palin's lipstick comment but that doesn't mean the pig was Palin. Geez.. How stupid are you? Do you need it explained again? Or can't you see past the lipstick you keep putting on this issue?
parados

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:40 pm
@A Lone Voice,
I didn't realize I was supposed to plan my Friday around your schedule.

I guess the only way to look like your winning is to put lipstick on the pig on a Friday night and complain that no one has looked at your lovely pig.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:05 pm
@parados,

Were is the uppity Obama?
How's he doing in the polls?
Has he launched any new class warfare attacks?

0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:28 pm
@parados,
You libs/progressives sure get mean when you get caught.

Name calling and all, gosh. Where are your mothers?

Parados? Look at your post. ( # 3,399,166) You said "No one except the people at the speech would have noticed it if the GOP hadn't made it an issue."

What did you mean? 'Splain me. Although I think you already did, didn't you?

Or, you maintain that the somewhat bored, slack jawed audience started laughing and applauding (louder than they had at any time prior during Obama's comments) when he made his 'lipstick' comment?

Watch the tape. The lipstick comment wasn't even supposed to be the punchline, if what you apoligists are maintaining is true. The big punchline came later, yet somehow, the audience laughed and cackled and cheered at the wrong part.

And Drew, not sure who lashi is, but isn't it the right wing that is always considered conspiracy nuts? Check my profile and prior posts, if you must...

And I've noticed you're still avoiding the response. Don't be scared! Really, it's OK. You were so vocal before, but now you seem to be shrinking away...
DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
Don't be scared! Really, it's OK. You were so vocal before, but now you seem to be shrinking away...

Now that's just pathetic. I haven't been manipulated into a fight that way since I got out of grade school.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
@A Lone Voice,
"it" is the comment "lipstick on a pig"
The comment had a meaning in context that the audience got. Based on the statement in context it was obvious the comment was not calling Sarah Palin a pig.

No one would have known or cared about the comment if the RW idiots hadn't changed the meaning and trumpeted to the world how stupid they are by not understanding the meaning. There is no there there. The only thing that is there now is RW idiots looking idiots.

Quote:
Watch the tape. The lipstick comment wasn't even supposed to be the punchline, if what you apoligists are maintaining is true. The big punchline came later, yet somehow, the audience laughed and cackled and cheered at the wrong part
Really? Did you write the speech? Did you ask the writer?

But, let me get this right. You are claiming Obama intended to call Palin a pig and that was the entire point of his build up to it but the "pig in lipstick" comment wasn't the punchline? You are undercutting your own argument because no speech writer would call someone a pig and not have it be the punchline.

You continue to put lipstick on your argument Lone Voice but your argument is still nothing but a barn yard animal rutting around in the mud.
nimh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

I was very interested in Obama initially, mainly due to his outsider status. But his failure to challange his own party - who I happen to disagree with on most issues anyway because of their big government approach - made me realize Obama would NOT be a change agent.

I'm glad Bush is going. But at least McCain has shown some independence from his own party. Obama has shown none...

OK, to me this is pretty simple.

You've had 8 years of Bush politics.

You now have 2 candidates to follow him up.

One of them assented to 90% of Bush's politics. One of them opposed most of them.

Who is more likely to bring change?

Yes, Obama agrees with the Democratic Party most of the time. Which makes it more likely that he will bring change from the past 8 years of Bush politics.

The first step to change came in 2006, when at least the Bush Republicans were thrown out of their majority in Congress. Now America can finish the job, by throwing them out of the White House too - and try the alternative.

Like Foxfyre wrote in another thread: "There is clearly a choice in the November election - more right or more left." You've had 8 years of "more right" in the White House - with McCain you'd have 4 more years of it. Not change. Obama would bring 4 years of "more left". Change. Not rocket science, is it?
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:58 pm
@nimh,
I disagree that change requires us to go Left. Nor do I agree that McCain agreeing with 90% of Bush's positions means that he will be just like Bush. I don't believe he will. He never has been. The problem has never been Bush policies. The problem has been incompetence in administraton and carrying out of those policies. It was that, not the policies themselves, that got GWB into trouble.

McCain has opposed GWB in the execution of the policies more than any other member of the GOP delegation in Congress. GWB has complained about McCain more than any other member of the GOP delegation in Congress. McCain did agree with GWB re the Iraq war for instance, but was a loud and continual critic on how the war was being prosecuted. When the Bush administration finally did it the way McCain had been emphasizing all along, things began to get much better.

I think if John McCain had been the Commander in Chief from the beginning, we probably would pretty well have our combat troops out of there by now. We will never know since we can't rewind the clock.

But I know I like the sound of McCain's ideas on many things far more than I like Obama's.
nimh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The problem has never been Bush policies.

That may be your personal opinion, but it's not the one shared by independent voters and a majority in the polls. Their beef goes beyond just the "incompetence in .. carrying out .. those policies"; it's many of the policies themselves that are impopular.

Foxfyre wrote:
McCain has opposed GWB in the execution of the policies more than any other member of the GOP delegation in Congress.

This is just demonstrably false {shrugs}. Look up the voting records.

Foxfyre wrote:
But I know I like the sound of McCain's ideas on many things far more than I like Obama's.

No doubt about that. And considering that you have long been one of the most vocal defenders of the brunt/core of the Bush-era policies here, that just underlines how McCain represents ideological continuity, and Obama represents the bigger change.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:36 pm
@nimh,
I have looked it up Nimh and I've been listening to Senator McCain and President Bush go at it for more than eight years now. My opinion is as good as yours, and the polls suggest that the independents and a majority in the polls aren't buying the "McSame" tag as much as your side is trying to push that.
A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:50 pm
@parados,
Simple question, simple response:

What was the Obama crowd laughing at? Why did they come to life the way they did?

You libs/progressives are so intellectually dishonest sometimes...

Drew dad: Thanks for staying intellectually honest yourself. You refuse to address the question, but at least you withdrawal gracefully. At least you won't whore yourself out like these other zealots.

Look back at my original post, paradox. Might Obama have been more sensitive with his words? Might he not have anticipated the firestorm his words created?

Isn't that a tenent of the Lib/progressive mindset, that words matter?

With Palin's convention use of 'lipstick', shouldn't have Obama been more sensitive?

C'mon folks, let's get back on task here...
A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:02 pm
@nimh,
Quote:

OK, to me this is pretty simple.

You've had 8 years of Bush politics.

You now have 2 candidates to follow him up.

One of them assented to 90% of Bush's politics. One of them opposed most of them.

Who is more likely to bring change?

Yes, Obama agrees with the Democratic Party most of the time. Which makes it more likely that he will bring change from the past 8 years of Bush politics.

The first step to change came in 2006, when at least the Bush Republicans were thrown out of their majority in Congress. Now America can finish the job, by throwing them out of the White House too - and try the alternative.

Like Foxfyre wrote in another thread: "There is clearly a choice in the November election - more right or more left." You've had 8 years of "more right" in the White House - with McCain you'd have 4 more years of it. Not change. Obama would bring 4 years of "more left". Change. Not rocket science, is it?

Kind of taking a short cut here, nimh, but this is from another thread where I posted why I can't vote for Obama at this point:

Quote:

My take? I would never trust a congress and executive branch controlled by the dems. The left wing of that party has become far too strong - witness Nancy Pelosi as Speaker - and uncontrolled leftists would doom this country, in my opinion.

How? First, I'll agree with most of you that Bush will be judged as one of our worst presidents. Because of Iraq? No, because of the outrageous increases in federal spending under his watch.

Which would be loose change compared to an unrestrained left wing government.

More taxes on more of us.

More government control over every aspect of our lives. And yes, more of a police state under the dems, I believe.

Foreign policy? Things would be loves and kisses until we were attacked again, then we would see the typical OVER reaction (like Vietnam) and then watch out.

Like Clinton and Carter, a dem pres will cut military bases, cut military programs, and weaken our armed forces to free up money for social programs.

Then, when we need them, they will over react to the situation, to prove their toughness.

Four more years of Bush? Wouldn't want that. Not all that happy with McCain, either.

But the dems sure are not the party of financial restraint or military preparedness. Especially the left wing of the party, which is calling the shots these days...

I'm not a big repub fan these days, as I tend to lean Libertarian. But simply, the far left scares me much more than the far right...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:48 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
Drew dad: Thanks for staying intellectually honest yourself. You refuse to address the question, but at least you withdrawal gracefully. At least you won't whore yourself out like these other zealots.

Like you? Rolling Eyes

"The question" is absurd. I don't judge McCain on his audience, I judge him on his words and actions. You can find idiots following Obama. You can find idiots following McCain. You can find idiots following Osama bin Laden. Judging them on who their supporters are is an ad hominem logical fallacy.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:08 am
@parados,
I can believe Obama wasn't thinking of Palin when he made his lipstick/pig comment, but if he was, who cares? Sarah Palin is a big girl running for VP of the United States. She can take it.

Whether or not this comment was an attack on Palin, it is clear that there is a Democratic Attack Machine every bit as nasty and aggressive as the Republican version Dems constantly howl about. For a group that is so obsessed with hypocrisy, and finds it even where it doesn't exist (Palin's daughter being pregnant), it is curious how they can't spot in their own backyard.

However, these comments by Parados have to take the cake:

Quote:
Obama points out that putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it respectable but never mentions Palin. Yes, the listener can make a connection but it (he) does NOT call Palin a pig.

Quote:
Obama's statement points out a large error in the thinking of Palin and McCain and does it by taking Palin's lipstick statement away from her. That is the real issue here. Palin's statement is no longer so cute because we see that lipstick doesn't solve every problem.

Parados not only admits there was a connection between Obama's comment and Palin, but also seeks to address it as if he were a critic analyzing a line in a modern literary masterpiece.

The rhetorical brilliance of Obama (as bestowed upon him by Parados) is breathtaking. Look what he did with a seeming old saw about pigs and lipstick!

This is what comes from smug pseudo-intellectuals anointing one of their own as The Leader. Palin the moose-hunting, non-aborting, Christian believer in God and the Second Amendment is a target they can't resist, and they are not only more than happy to use the rhetorical equivalent of a semi-automatic assault rifle on their prey; they lust for her blood.

In an incredibly ironic move, they have assigned their feminazi brown shirts to mount a shock and awe attack against the Alaskan governor:

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler attacked Sarah Palin saying John McCain had chosen a running mate

Quote:
'whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn't had an abortion."

Salon's Cintra Wilson"

Quote:
Sarah Palin is a bit comical, like one of those cutthroat Texas cheerleader stage moms. What her Down syndrome baby and pregnant teenage daughter unequivocally prove, however, is that her most beloved child is the antiabortion platform that ensures her own political ambitions with the conservative right.

Sally Quinn

Quote:
Is she prepared for the all-consuming nature of the job? She is the mother of five children, one of them a four-month-old with Down Syndrome. Her first priority has to be her children. When the phone rings at three in the morning and one of her children is really sick what choice will she make?

But wait, there is still a role for the Dem's peculiarly distaff side:

Juan Cole (http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2008/09/09/palin_fundamentalist/

Quote:
But the values of his handpicked running mate, Sarah Palin, more resemble those of Muslim fundamentalists than they do those of the Founding Fathers. On censorship, the teaching of creationism in schools, reproductive rights, attributing government policy to God's will and climate change, Palin agrees with Hamas and Saudi Arabia rather than supporting tolerance and democratic precepts. What is the difference between Palin and a Muslim fundamentalist? Lipstick.

OR

Leon Wieseltier (http://tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=98095efe-b735-456b-a729-cda0285f5269&p=1)

Quote:
It took only a few days for the saga of Sarah Palin to go from Frank Capra to Preston Sturges to Judd Apatow, and then for the farce to stop being funny at all. These are not the times for right-wing screwball. The world is aflame and we have been pondering the knocked-up daughter of a pert and uncannily confident Alaskan mediocrity who was elevated to a national ticket for the purpose of changing the conversation.

The vitriol the Left has been serving up for Sarah Palin is astounding, but like any obsessive that is incapable of self-control, their actions will rebound upon them.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:21 am
But not all leftist feminists have abandoned their principles

Camille Paglia, for one:

Quote:
Conservative though she may be, I felt that Palin represented an explosion of a brand new style of muscular American feminism. At her startling debut on that day, she was combining male and female qualities in ways that I have never seen before. And she was somehow able to seem simultaneously reassuringly traditional and gung-ho futurist. In terms of redefining the persona for female authority and leadership, Palin has made the biggest step forward in feminism since Madonna channeled the dominatrix persona of high-glam Marlene Dietrich and rammed pro-sex, pro-beauty feminism down the throats of the prissy, victim-mongering, philistine feminist establishment.

But then Paglia has always been a maverick herself.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I have looked it up Nimh

Is that in response to me telling you to look up the voting records? If you had really looked it up, you would have found that yes, there are in fact several other Republican Senators, alone - not even mentioning US Representatives - who have "opposed GWB in the execution of the policies more" than McCain.

Because no, this is not just a question of "my opinion [being] as good as yours". This is checkable fact stuff. The Congressional Quarterly maintains a "presidential support score", measuring "how frequently senators have supported President Bush during roll-call votes" every year.

For example, here's the scores for Senators in 2005 and 2006.

2005 was,of course, when McCain was still in full-on maverick mode; before he started flip-flopping on every issue that had the potential of stopping conservatives from supporting his new presidential candidacy. And yet even that year he was not the most vocal opponent of GWB when push came to shove, and more than just talk was required. When it came to actually voting on stuff, McCain voted with Bush 77% of the time. That was more than Mike DeWine (76%), and significantly more than Olympia Snowe (67%), Susan Collins (62%) and Linc Chafee (56%).

In 2006, McCain moved much further into lockstep with Bush's policies - and that's already two years ago. He voted with Bush 88% of the time. That was more than Orrin Hatch, Lisa Murkowski, Michael Crapo, John Thune, David Vitter, Trent Lott, Conrad Burns, Richard Shelby, Gordon Smith, Jim Talent, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Arlen Specter, and again Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe and Lincoln Chafee.

And again, that's just the Senate. You wrote that "McCain has opposed GWB in the execution of the policies more than any other member of the GOP delegation in Congress." So what about the House? Well, when push came to shove and he had to vote on things, he opposed GWB less than - get this - 39 Republican US Representatives in 2005 -- and less than 68 Republican US Representatives in 2006.

Since then, of course, McCain has moved even more in line with Bush. "An Early Look at 2008 Vote Scores" on the CQ site teaches us that this year, John McCain's "presidential support score" is a baffling 100% - higher than any other Republican Senator's. In the House, too, not a single other Republican gets 100%.

I'd give McCain something of a pass on that though - he was out campaigning most of the year, so he probably simply attended very few votes. So all that shows is that he apparently only showed up for votes on which he was in agreement with Bush. Telling in itself, but not a complete judgement, then.

So instead, let's look at the complete picture. CQ also conducted "a study of all roll-call votes during the seven-and-a-half years of President Bush's two terms " up to Congress' August recess." It rightly beats its own drum when explaining that "it is a first-ever look at the way lawmakers voted over an entire presidency," with a "searchable table [that] shows both party unity and presidential support scores over the entire Bush presidency for individual lawmakers who are currently serving in the 110th Congress." Great resource. So how does your assertion that "McCain has opposed GWB in the execution of the policies more than any other member of the GOP delegation in Congress" withstand the fact check when we look at the full length of Bush's presidency?

It doesn't. During the full eight years, McCain voted in accordance with Bush's preference 90% of the time (this is where those Obama ads get that number). Were there more critical Senators? Hell yeah. Even just looking at the ones that are still in the Senate now, there's no less than 25 of 'em. The Senators who opposed Bush most are in fact Snowe, Collins, Specter and Bob Corker - all with presidential support scores of under 80%. Meaning that all of them opposed Bush more than twice as frequently as McCain. And again, that's just the Senate. In the House there are currently 69 Representatives who have voted against Bush's will more than twice as frequently as McCain did.

You cant just make up stuff from thin air, Fox, and then when challenged to look up the facts say, well, my opinion is as good as yours. Not when you state things as facts that are demonstrably false. Not when you say things that can be checked. I told you to look up the voting records. You said you did. Were you bluffing?

The same goes for the other argument you respond to here. You asserted that "the problem has never been Bush policies. The problem has been incompetence in administraton and carrying out of those policies. It was that, not the policies themselves, that got GWB into trouble." I responded that that's not what the polls show - they show that it's many of the policies themselves that are impopular.

That's a specific argument. So the polls also "suggest that .. a majority .. aren't buying the "McSame" tag", you say. And? How's that refute the argument? It's a simple question: has the problem never been Bush policies, and did he only get into trouble by not carrying them out well - or were many of his policies themselves impopular? I'm not going through the same work of looking up the data as above, but again, this is not just a question of "my opinion being as good as yours". This is stuff that can be looked up. It's checkable.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Sure. I guess your comments about the Democratic Attack Machine might have some validity if you could show us how the Democrats forced the GOP to bring up the lipstick comment and attack it. If the GOP hadn't been stupid enough to pretend they were victims of the lipstick comment it wouldn't have been news.

Let me repeat again. If the GOP had NOT brought it up it never would have been the issue it is.

Playing the GOP as victims is nothing more than pulling out lipstick Finn.
parados

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:45 am
@A Lone Voice,
Sensitive to what?

Her being a woman?
A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Like you?

"The question" is absurd. I don't judge McCain on his audience, I judge him on his words and actions. You can find idiots following Obama. You can find idiots following McCain. You can find idiots following Osama bin Laden. Judging them on who their supporters are is an ad hominem logical fallacy.

I wouldn't go so far to call the people at Obama's rally that day "idiots." They were simply responding to a play on words by their candidate.

Again, it's not a difficult "question" I posed in my original post: With Palin's tag line of a hockey mom/lipstick at the repub convention, shouldn't Obama's speechwriters have been more sensitive to what eventually entailed?

Shouldn't Obama himself have caught it when the audience responded like they did?

If it was ignorance, they violated a lib/progressive tenet. If it was mean-spirited, they violated an Obama principal.

That's all I'm trying to point out here...

It's really not all that complicated, is it?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@parados,
Again, for comparing her, in a veiled way, to a pig.

Again, after, all, isn't that the joke the Obama crowd was laughing at?

Parados, are there a couple people using your account? We seem to be going over the same question again and again, and you seem to avoid a direct response again and again.

I'm getting the feeling I'm dealing with a lightweight, and you're starting to bore me.

Most of your posts are short jabs without a lot of thought, and I'm starting to yawn...

As I posed the question earlier:

With Palin's tag line of a hockey mom/lipstick at the repub convention, shouldn't Obama's speechwriters have been more sensitive? Shouldn't they have expected what eventually entailed?

Shouldn't Obama himself have caught it when the audience responded like they did?

If it was ignorance, they violated a lib/progressive tenet. If it was mean-spirited, they violated an Obama principal.

That's all I'm trying to point out here...

It's really not all that complicated, is it?