Food Addiction

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:14 am
In all seriousness, do you think it's possible to have an addiction to food?
I never used to have an issue with it but now it seems I obsess about eating. I want something so bad and I can't stop thinking about it until I get it. Of couse, I then feel guilty for eating it and swear I will stop but it seems 9 times out of 10 I fail.

I am wondering if I am just a weak person, or if this is some sort of addiction and I need to treat it as such.

What do you think?

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
@Bella Dea,
Now see -- I was just fine, perfectly satisfied from my healthy breakfast and then I read this post and now I'm totally convinced that I'm starving.

Yep, the more you think about food the more you eat. Obsessive thinking is a surefire way to overeating. As is self-denial and the associated guilt for feeling "weak".

Get yerself a hobby, girl. Something that occupies your brain so you don't think about food.
mismi

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:55 am
@JPB,
Yep...drink the tea when you are hungry - that helps me. Or find something absorbing to do! The more you think about it the more you want it. That's how it is with anything for me.
0 Replies

doglady13

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:34 pm
@Bella Dea,
I find that when I'm eating too many sweets or simple carobhydrates like pasta or bread, I crave food and think about it all the time. Maybe changing what you are eating will help.

However, obsessive eating may also be a sign of your having emotional issues elsewhere and you are stuffing feelings down or assuaging those feelings with food. You might also want to take an emotional inventory to see if that's a problem, too.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:14 pm
@Bella Dea,
hey there - are you still having your thyroid levels checked regularly? two of my good friends had difficulties getting the levels to stabilize after their pregnancies - one of them had to have the levels checked on a weekly basis. One of them ate ate ate, the other almost stopped eating.
MCharcoal

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:20 pm
@doglady13,
Bella Dea, I know you don't know me, I am rather new, but I want to add to what you said about Cravings when you are eating a lot of sweet and carb.
My PHYSICIAN TOLD ME, cravings are much worse when you are eating the sugurary carbs. Sometimes i JUST OBSESS over them and tHen my candida gets worse, my weigjht gets over done
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:28 pm
@doglady13,
That sort of made me laugh. Not because it was dumb but because it's true. I have a baby, 2 dogs, a new house, and a husband.....my mental health is everything but healthy. LOL
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I need to get in and see someone. I moved and haven't gotten a doc close to me yet. But now it's def on the list of things to do since you've mentioned it.
0 Replies