eoe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
Did anyone catch the premiere of Trueblood last night on HBO? What did you think of it?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@eoe,
I hope both it and entourage show tonight. How about a quick review?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:26 pm
@eoe,
Yeh, I saw TrueBlood. It was good, but didn't have quite as much ambient "style" as Deadwood or John From Cincinnati (both of which I liked quite a bit).

None the less, I think TrueBlood has an interesting story line and lots of elements to work with.

Some other notable TV shows starting again are Sarah Connor Chronicles and Prison Break on Fox. The Terminator spinoff is fantastic (even though the first season started slowly, it pulled together very nicely by the end).

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:43 pm
Vampire movies both fascinate me and freak me out. But the concept and look of Trueblood really intrigued me.

I thought it was pretty good. It has the potential to really take off, I think. It wasn't quite as bloody as I anticipated/feared, perhaps they're trying to reel you in before the real gore begins but being a descendant of Louisiana folk, I'm drawn to that whole steamy, swampy, voodoo thing. It's just a whole 'nother world down there.

Anna Pacquin is not a traditional beauty but she's absolutely adorable as Sooky and Bill the vampire, with the impeccable manners of a true gentleman of the South, is a real winner. Again, not handsome in the traditional sense"he's pale as a ghost" but oozing with Southern charm.

Can't wait for the next episode.

My boys of "Entourage" kicked things off for the new season with a bang. And Vinny was hothothot with that beard. He's so goodlooking it's stupid.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:16 pm
@eoe,
I haven't watched Entourage, what's good about it (besides Vinny being hot, which doesn't do anything for me).

Did you see Big Love? I liked it as well.

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Entourage is pure Hollywood fantasy. Imagine one of your good friends becoming an actor and taking you with them out to Hollywood???? It's like a friend of mine always says. "I don't want to be Oprah. I want to be Gayle!" (Gayle is Oprah's best friend.)

I watched Big Love for awhile but couldn't stomach Bruce Dern's character. The very last episode I saw was when he started pissing in the kitchen sink and his son didn't kick that stool he was standing on out from under him like I wanted him to.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
I'm looking forward to TrueBlood next week...
(possible spoilers below for anyone who hasn't seen the first episode).

Judging from the scenes they showed for next week, I'm guessing that Bill has to turn Sookey (sp?) into a vampire to save her. But Sookey is obviously telepathic and Bill doesn't even think she's human. So what do you get when you turn a telepath into a vampire?

And then there's that dog, which keeps showing up when the bar owner isn't around (but should be). So I think the bar owner is a shape shifter who turns into a dog (but I don't know that for sure). This show could be full of all kinds of supernatural characters. Should be fun. Smile
eoe

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:33 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

So what do you get when you turn a telepath into a vampire?

Aren't vampires telepathic already?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:29 am
@eoe,
Quote:
Aren't vampires telepathic already?

Apparently not in the particular series. Although I have seen it in other Vampire stories.

Each series/movie seems to reinvent the vampire ethos a little bit. I kind of like that, it leaves room for surprises.
eoe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:56 am
@rosborne979,
I'm kind of waiting for it to be revealed that Sooky's powers are a result of their grandma's having a child (Sooky's mother or father?) with a vampire. She was quite intrigued when Sooky told her that she'd met a vampire, wasn't she?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:23 am
@eoe,
Yes she was. That's one possibility, but I'm not sure yet of the Grandmother's motivation or interest. I guess we'll get a few more clues tonight Smile

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm hooked!
rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:44 pm
@eoe,
Yup, lots of interesting implications trotted out in this episode.

The Bar Owner is obviously the dog. On his wall there was a picture of a dog guarding a girl. He has either been drawn to Sookie or has been assigned to Sookie (to watch/protect her).

Bill said that vampires get stronger as they get older. And he's already extremely strong. Makes you wonder just what the old vampires are capable of.

Vampire blood is capable of healing lethal wounds, and probably curing lethal diseases. This makes vampire blood one of the most valuable medical substances ever known.

The Anti-Vampire crusader and his family almost certainly did NOT die in a freak accident. This implies that at least some of the vampires are organized and ready to kill for political reasons.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@rosborne979,
I love this series but am ready for more horrifically graphic gore...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:58 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The Bar Owner is obviously the dog. On his wall there was a picture of a dog guarding a girl. He has either been drawn to Sookie or has been assigned to Sookie (to watch/protect her).

The bar owner is crazy about Sooky. And she's read his thoughts so she knows it. I took note of the picture but didn't pick up on the dog reference. I think you're right tho.

So, although a tornado was blamed for flipping the trailer over on those two rednecks, in truth, Bill actually killed them in the woods and then set it up to look like they were crushed under their trailer, right?

And the dog/bar owner saw it.

Do you think that the gay guy who works in the restaurant might be a vampire?
sublime1

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:42 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I'm hooked!

Me too.

I'm curious as to what other powers Sookie has and how she got them. Wrapping the chain around the guys neck, seeming superhuman strength, etc... also if her brothers luck with the women has any supernatural origins.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
So, although a tornado was blamed for flipping the trailer over on those two rednecks, in truth, Bill actually killed them in the woods and then set it up to look like they were crushed under their trailer, right?

Right.

Quote:
And the dog/bar owner saw it.

I don't know if he saw it. I didn't pick up on that. But the dog was there when Bill saved Sookie from the Ratrays (and killed them).

Quote:
Do you think that the gay guy who works in the restaurant might be a vampire?

I wondered about that, but I don't see any indication of it yet.

We need to know if Sookie can read the minds of other vampires, or if Bill is unique. If all vampires are unreadable to her, then she will recognize them immediately and she would already know if the gay guy is a vampire.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:24 pm
@sublime1,
Quote:
I'm curious as to what other powers Sookie has and how she got them. Wrapping the chain around the guys neck, seeming superhuman strength, etc... also if her brothers luck with the women has any supernatural origins.

Sookie isn't just telepathic, she's also telekinetic, as we could see from the chain trick. However, Sookie didn't throw the Rattray's around, that was Bill saving her.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:19 pm
So...where are we now with Trueblood? Still digging it? For me, it's starting to lose some of it's luster although I am still rooting for Sookie and Bill. It broke my heart when he told her last night that he would not call on her again.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:07 pm
@eoe,
Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be calling on her again Smile

I'm still enjoying the show. It's become a crime-drama with vampires. I don't think a vampire is killing those people. It's too obvious. Also, I believe Bill when he says a vamp would drain them.

I found the back-story of how Bill became a vampire very sad.

And I'm still trying to figure out what the bar owner has to do with that dog. In a previous episode that dog showed up in the same scene with him (when he was sitting on the porch, and called the dog "my brother"). But I still think there's some type of strange connection between him and the dog. Also, what was that weirdness he was doing on the previous murdered girl's bed?