High-Fructose Corn Syrup: Safe as sugar?

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:50 am
@mismi,
I have food sins too. One is my morning coffee. And I have decided after trying to do with out it for months, that I love my coffee and Im going to keep having it no matter what.
it isnt the coffee that is the bad part.. it is the french vanilla soy creamer.
Ohhhh dear I love it. Smile
It has sugar and possibly salt. I have stopped looking because it is my daily sin and anyone who wants to fight me about it can bugger off .. heheh
I use a LOT of it too. But I also make my coffee so thick it is obscene. But that is how I like it and that is how I will have it until I can no longer make it myself.

I also love marabou chocolate.
Someone purchased me a roll of that from Ikea. My world is now over as I knew it. .. so .. new sin number two.

Sin number three- toast, sweet cream butter+grape jelly. I have that often. Maybe a set once a week or so.

Im sure I have other sins too but those are the most common.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:09 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Yep. Dried beans are a seriously economical food.
>snip<
Shopping the middle of the store aisles means additives (usually). Shopping the middle shelves of an aisle usually means higher prices.
>snip<
I've lost 86 lbs. on that combination, and RP has lost, I think, a good 20 or so and he's not even trying. So what does that say about the typical American diet?

You are absolutely right.
And what else I have noticed about the shopping lay out.... stand with your legs bent, about a kids height.. guess what happens?? Everything that is sugary is now bright red, yellow, and blue. Toys are dangling in front of fruit loop boxes, tiny little corners of the isles that are really not THAT visible to the adult, have sugary snacks, drinks, and other processed crap in it.
I always wonder , when Jillian comes up to me with something " where in the hell did you get that?" I stoop over and bingo.. a whole new sugar coated world reveals itself to me like a cosmic secret. Most of the time I have her ride in the cart, or, just dip into the isles a little like you said. I also noticed that I by pass all that horrible foot traffic too. Even in the 6;0clock witching hour our grocery store has, I can get in and get out in about 10 minutes if I am shopping for only a couple of days.

Another thing I have also noticed, and this just could be me being weird but..
If you want to know the HEALTH content of an isle, look at the people inside of it. The pasta isle and the cookie/chip isle and the ice cream section... Big people. Fresh fruit and veggie area, thin people. No. that is not set in stone and I am not saying that large people dont eat veggies. My big ole behind can be found in all sections.. but.. sometimes it is truly a sight to behold when you are walking through the store.
same goes for fast food and other restaurants. The health content can be determined by its patrons. ( generally speaking)
But Im gabbing.

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
Finally got a chance to watch this video. My question now is, what is moderation? Given the fact that it is in everything, even sliced whole wheat bread, you have to be extra diligent to do moderation. Believe me, I know. Grocery shopping is a job in itself. I once spent nearly 20 minutes in the bread aisle searching for whole wheat bread that doesn't have it.
mismi

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:24 am
@FreeDuck,
http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.com/2008/08/hfcs-free-bread-and-buns-review.html

I am not sure if we have these breads available in our area. I am trying to see. I am learning so much.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:32 am
@mismi,
We just started buying bakery bread. It's a little inconvenient unless we are shopping at a grocery with a good bakery, but it's worth it.
mismi

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:40 am
@FreeDuck,
I will have to check with ours.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
@boomerang,
Yeah - I typically use Classico - when I was looking at bbq, I didn't see bullseye at least one that wasn't of the spicy variety - kids like the honey sweet type.

But you are right - I buy 100% cranberry (no hfcs) of the store brand for example.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:24 am
@FreeDuck,
Sounds like me. I've ended up leaving not buying all my stuff because I can't find a food item without the crap I'm trying to avoid.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
@FreeDuck,
Still read the bakery item labels in the grocery store - I bought some rolls from the bakery section (already package, but supposedly from their bakery) and it had hfcs.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@mismi,
Hi, Mismi. I don't really know anything about HFCS, but someone in my office told me that it's indigestible.

Unrelated PS: Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I've been trying to find the Acronyms thread for almost a week now. I'm guessing that you know where it is. Can you help me find it? Thanks. Confused
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:42 pm
@FlyFoy,
Flyfoy,
go the small blank white box above "popular tags" to the left of the page (I see it when I open "new posts") and type in 'acronym'. The word acronym will show up underneath that box. Click on it. You'll see the thread.
jespah

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:58 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

You are absolutely right.
And what else I have noticed about the shopping lay out.... stand with your legs bent, about a kids height.. guess what happens?? Everything that is sugary is now bright red, yellow, and blue. Toys are dangling in front of fruit loop boxes, tiny little corners of the isles that are really not THAT visible to the adult, have sugary snacks, drinks, and other processed crap in it.
I always wonder , when Jillian comes up to me with something " where in the hell did you get that?" I stoop over and bingo.. a whole new sugar coated world reveals itself to me like a cosmic secret. Most of the time I have her ride in the cart, or, just dip into the isles a little like you said. I also noticed that I by pass all that horrible foot traffic too. Even in the 6;0clock witching hour our grocery store has, I can get in and get out in about 10 minutes if I am shopping for only a couple of days.

Yep, it's a kid-high Sugar Wonderland.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:04 pm
Mark Morford ranted about HFCS and the new ad in the San Francisco Chronicle today. I won't link it as his writing style is too rant-y for me.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you so much for saving me from total insanity, ossobuco. Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:19 pm
@FlyFoy,
you're welcome, flyfoy. It'll get easier.

mismi

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry FlyFoy - I haven't visited this thread lately - glad Osso could help you!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:34 am
Interesting blog post here: The Problem With Corn Syrup
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
From a WebMD email on the subject:
Quote:
2. High fructose corn syrup continued...

Foods that have it

High fructose corn syrup is a common additive in many kinds of processed foods, not just sweets. Most non-diet soft drinks are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

Why it's controversial

Some experts have proposed that people metabolize high fructose corn syrup in a way that raises the risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes more than sugar made from sugar cane. Much of the controversy stems from the observation that obesity in the United States and consumption of high fructose corn syrup increased at the same time.

What the research shows

"It's just sugar," says Marion Nestle, PhD, a professor of nutrition and public health at New York University. "Biochemically, there's no difference."

The high fructose corn syrups commonly used to sweeten foods and drinks are 55-58% fructose and 42-45% glucose. Sucrose (cane sugar) is a double sugar made of fructose and glucose. Digestion quickly breaks down cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup into fructose and glucose.

"There's a little bit more fructose in high fructose corn syrup, but not a lot," Nestle says. "It doesn't really make any difference. The body can't tell them apart." The American Medical Association recently stated that there is scant evidence to support the idea that high fructose corn syrup is any worse than cane sugar and that consuming too much sugar of either kind is unhealthy.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-seven-common-food-additives
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:01 pm
@littlek,
hmmmm....so it doesn't metabolize it any differently. Apparently Americans as a whole are just enjoying their processed foods a WHOLE lot. I still think it is smart to stick to the whole foods as much as possible. Trying anyway.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@mismi,
I'm too sceptical to trust the AMA on much. They're lobbyists and friends of lobbyists.