High-Fructose Corn Syrup: Safe as sugar?

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
It's a satiety issue. Eat or drink HFCS, and you'll feel less satiated, and more likely to overeat. See: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=486
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/health_news_detail.asp?health_day=617885

Oh and this one is about all sorts of sugars in your food. Very sobering:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=616
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
wikipaedia wrote:
There are indications that soda and sweet drinks provide a greater proportion of daily calories than any other food in the American diet

Whoa!!! I wonder how good those indications are?

That's an amazing amount of sugar water if so.

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:18 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

What happens to those with no penis?

Shocked

You will grow one..
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Drinking Moutain Dew can cause the unpleasant side effect of a yellow discharge from your penis!

BTW, outside the US, the Mountain Dew is made with sugar.

Almost everything made outside the US is made with things you can read and eat.

But the yellow stuff from your penis, well.. that also comes from Thai Curry Hookers too..

blame it on mountain dew all you like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:25 pm
I've gotten to be a near sugar hater, though not completely. I figure my own take is about the proportions of sugar to the rest of the food. I'm fine with a little, or some.

I do think there is some kind of addictive cycle thing going on... not blaming sugar itself, but talking biochemistry. A lot of my friends are sugar fiends, not to knock them.. ....... but it seems addictive from here.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:26 pm
Our American food is so screwed up. No wonder everyone is on medication of some sort.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
and then with the anti sugar chems... (don't get me going). The whole sweet thing..a cycle of temptation and thwarting, and stupidity to the thwarting.

even dys, with the sweet 100 tomatoes. Well, that guy can use some calories. But, otherwise, these are junk tomatoes.
In my obnoxious opinion.

(with luck, this will grab a riposte..)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
It's been my belief that sugar is sugar no matter what form it comes in; it's not good for diabetes. My problem is my love for sweets that includes candy, chocolate, and ice cream.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, CI, but we're talking about variety in the goods and bads and maybes of sugar. I'm not clear that it is all equal, but you may be correct. Thus, our interest..
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, My wife used to be a diabetes resource, and she guesses that corn syrup is the worst, and fruit is the least harmful.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, and they're both fructose.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I had a mild computer crash while answering you, CI.

Will just say now that I didn't mean that as sharp as it sounded..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:10 pm
@ossobuco,
But it's how they react in our body is what matters.

osso, Don't sweat it; I probably respond to many posters that way even though my computer isn't broken.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:28 pm
I stepped off the food hysterics train when after years of claiming that butter would kill me and that I should switch to margarine.....they decided that margarine was worse. I follow the rule our great grandparents had "eat everything in moderation".

However, I hope that somewhere there are a few smart followers of science rather than money who are looking into this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

osso, My wife used to be a diabetes resource, and she guesses that corn syrup is the worst, and fruit is the least harmful.

Plain old-fashioned, straight-up corn syrup isn't the issue, it's the High-fructose corn syrup that's the problem.

Fruit and cane sugar are 'better' sugars, I believe beet sugar is as well. However, any sugar can be a problem if it's not used in moderation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Fact of the matter is, anything with corn syrup is high fructose. It's almost impossible to find no fructose corn syrup.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no
Quote:
High-fructose corn syrup is produced by milling corn to produce corn starch, then processing that corn starch to yield corn syrup which is almost entirely glucose, and then adding enzymes which change the glucose into fructose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's a different critter, ci.

ahh, hawkeye's already given you the info.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:29 pm
@ehBeth,
fructose used to not be an evil word, and to me still isn't . See posts by ehbeth et al.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess you missed this from my previous post:
Quote:
It's almost impossible to find no fructose corn syrup.

You can find it, but it's not easy. Most people do not read labels on food packages, and do not know the difference.