FINAL COUNTDOWN FOR USA ELECTION 2008

old europe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:46 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
But the Tax Policy Center, an arm of the Urban Institute which, to be best of my knowledge, has never advocated or supported a clearly Republican or conservative issue in their history is more objective and and has no ideological influence in their assessments?

The fact that they don't support "a clearly Republican or conservative issue" doesn't mean they aren't centrist. If they wouldn't advocate Republican ideas, but support Democratic ideas - that would probably make them a liberal institution.

As far as I can see in their analysis, they don't voice any opinion at all. Unlike the Cato Institute, which, true to their stated mission (and, again, I don't criticise them for that), argues that "from a free-market perspective, it appears superior to Senator Obama's plan".

That is voicing an opinion, and it's voicing an opinion from a libertarian point of view.

If you can find something similar in the TPC's analysis, I'll turn around and agree with you that the TPC is promoting specific policies rather than merely analysing the data.

Foxfyre wrote:
And yet I use data from all of these because their respective bias does not necessarily rule their data invalid. It helps to be aware of the bias, however, and collaborate the data with other sources before accepting any of it as the gosepl truth. (There are sites that have proved themselves to be so blatantly dishonest that I accept NOTHING from them as intentionally credible, but I do not inlcude UI or TPC among those.)

Good. I'm not arguing against using an article or an analysis from the Cato Institute, by the way. I'm just arguing that an analysis from Cato will evaluate the data from a libertarian perspective - mostly because that is their stated mission.

Foxfyre wrote:
So now. If we can set aside the sources themselves for a moment, I will ask you to address the previous question(s).

I'd love to. What questions specifically?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@Foxfyre,
I think that there is no reason to dispute Catos take that McCains plan is better from a free market perspective. However, for me, free market is not the measure. The question is what are we hoping to do with these health plans. What I would like to see is more people covered, more affordable health insurance, reduce the numbers of people who need to file bankruptcy due to health care costs, and break away from the bias toward employer sponsored health care. If a free market solution could accomplish these, that would be fine. But I see health care as something similar to public education.

I mentioned earlier that the easiest way to eliminate the employer sponsored bias is to just make all health insurance premiums tax deductible, period. McCains tax credit would do less and less good as premium costs rise, making it more of a burden on families who no longer get the premiums taken out pre-tax. Obamas plan covers more people and lowers costs. To me that is better. Not perfect, but better. Yes, it costs more than McCains, but not by much compared with the added benefit.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:59 am
To OE (but anybody can respond)

The original post:
Here's Cato's summarized analysis.
Does anybody have another from a credible source that would rebut this?
Or what of each candidate's plans do you like or dislike most?

Quote:
Quote:
Healthcare reform will be one of the top issues of the 2008 presidential election. In the face of widespread public demand for changes in the U.S. health care system, both Barack Obama and John McCain have offered detailed proposals for reform.

Senator Obama's approach relies heavily on government mandates, regulations, and subsidies. He would mandate that employers provide health care coverage for their workers and that parents purchase health insurance for their children. He would significantly increase regulation of the insurance industry, establishing a standard minimum benefits package, and requiring insurers to accept all applicants regardless of their health. He would offer a variety of new and expanded subsidies to middle- and low-income Americans.

In contrast, John McCain emphasizes consumer choice and greater competition in the health care industry. He would move away from our current employment-based insurance system by replacing the current tax exclusion for employer-provided insurance with a refundable tax credit for individuals. At the same time he would sharply deregulate the insurance industry to increase competition.

Senator McCain's proposal is far from perfect, but from a free-market perspective, it appears superior to Senator Obama's plan. Obama's plan, with its heavy reliance on government, leads to the same problems that bedevil universal health care systems all over the world: limited patient choices and rationed care. McCain's proposal is much more consumer centered and taps into the best aspects of the free market. (--Michael Tanner)
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9561/

My response to Cyclop
Quote:
Well if you won't accept any site that doesn't denounce every Republican or conservative policy, we can just agree not to discuss this with each other at all because whether you want to admit it or not, the Republicans every now and then do get it right and conservatism has produces better results. Or, please post your credible site that rebuts Cato's take on it. Or give me a reasoned argument for why Cato is wrong.

I will agree that deregulation has not produced the best results in some cases, but what data do you have to show that " deregulation of any industry has never been shown to lower prices." Are you sure you want to stick with that statement? There are quite a few sources out there that agree with Cato that deregulating the insurance industry would bring prices down. Do you have one that explains why their take on it is wrong?

And my follow up “question” addressed to OE’s response to my response to Cyclop

Quote:
Please explain how the TPC data addresses the Cato data OE. The data your posted is way too vague for me to agree that it is a side by side comparisons with Cato's analysis. We all seem to agree that TPC is taking Obama's side, but then TPC almost always takes the liberal side in their analysis. They are a credible site. But I'm going to need some serious collaboration supporting their conclusions to believe they have it right.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I think that there is no reason to dispute Catos take that McCains plan is better from a free market perspective. However, for me, free market is not the measure. The question is what are we hoping to do with these health plans. What I would like to see is more people covered, more affordable health insurance, reduce the numbers of people who need to file bankruptcy due to health care costs, and break away from the bias toward employer sponsored health care. If a free market solution could accomplish these, that would be fine. But I see health care as something similar to public education.

I mentioned earlier that the easiest way to eliminate the employer sponsored bias is to just make all health insurance premiums tax deductible, period. McCains tax credit would do less and less good as premium costs rise, making it more of a burden on families who no longer get the premiums taken out pre-tax. Obamas plan covers more people and lowers costs. To me that is better. Not perfect, but better. Yes, it costs more than McCains, but not by much compared with the added benefit.

My concern is that Obama is leading us into another enormous costly and almost certainly problematic inefficient govenrment entitlement program.

Also, other than in very narrowly defined areas necessary for national administration, my libertarian soul strongly resists Big Brother mandates requiring people to acquire something they don't want or need. Most liberals want people to have the right to die if that is what they choose. But I can choose to die but I can't choose not to have health insurance?

And Obama's plan to make it impossible for insurance company's to reject a healthcare application even if an adult decides to wait until he or she NEEDS insurance for some terrible expensive malady is just insane. I think there is a real possibility that every private insurance company in America will be bankrupted inside of a year or will close down their healthcare lines. And then everybody is dependent on the government and whatever it chooses to allow us to have.

I am never opposed to the government spending less and allowing the people to keep more of their own money. And, from my point of view, a tax credit accomplishes that far more efficiently than does a tax deduction. I believe the free market system produces the most choices, the best quality, and the most affordable prices in the long run.

I go back to the fact that health insurance in America was readily available, affordable, and excellent up to the 1960's when the government began taking over large portions of it. It was then that the prices started spiraling out of control and most of our current problems developed. Was government involvement the reason for most of that? I don't know, but there sure is a strong correlation? Stuff the government has kept its nose mostly out of has become mostly better and more affordable with new technological innovations.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Also, other than in very narrowly defined areas necessary for national administration, my libertarian soul strongly resists Big Brother mandates requiring people to acquire something they don't want or need. Most liberals want people to have the right to die if that is what they choose. But I can choose to die but I can't choose not to have health insurance?

I dont like mandates either and think a single payer system would be better in that regard, though I dont trust our government to do that well. However, you do know that the mandate in Obamas program is only for parents to buy health insurance for their children. If you dont want insurance you would not be required to buy it.

Quote:
I am never opposed to the government spending less and allowing the people to keep more of their own money. And, from my point of view, a tax credit accomplishes that far more efficiently than does a tax deduction. I believe the free market system produces the most choices, the best quality, and the most affordable prices in the long run.

I dont agree unless the tax credit is indexed to current prices. I think in the case of healthcare, an absolutely free market would produce the most choices and the best quality for those who could afford it. I do not believe it would provide the most affordable prices.

Quote:
I go back to the fact that health insurance in America was readily available, affordable, and excellent up to the 1960's when the government began taking over large portions of it. It was then that the prices started spiraling out of control and most of our current problems developed. Was government involvement the reason for most of that? I don't know, but there sure is a strong correlation? Stuff the government has kept its nose mostly out of has become mostly better and more affordable with new technological innovations.

Interesting. Do you have some numbers from the 60s so I can take a look? Specifically, I am interested in how many people actually had health insurance and how much it covered.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Interesting. Do you have some numbers from the 60s so I can take a look? Specifically, I am interested in how many people actually had health insurance and how much it covered.

There's an excellent paper online: Health Care in the Early 60's
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I dont like mandates either and think a single payer system would be better in that regard, though I dont trust our government to do that well. However, you do know that the mandate in Obamas program is only for parents to buy health insurance for their children. If you dont want insurance you would not be required to buy it.

That's right. But under Obama's plan you could opt to not buy it until you needed it, and at the point that you needed it, the insurance companies would not be allowed to turn you down. Anybody who knows anything about the principle behind insurance can see how nuts that is.

Quote:
I think in the case of healthcare, an absolutely free market would produce the most choices and the best quality for those who could afford it. I do not believe it would provide the most affordable prices

Well that is something we can debate for sure. I believe that a free market with plenty of healthy competition has been pretty consistent in being favorable for the consumer.

Quote:
Do you have some numbers from the 60s so I can take a look? Specifically, I am interested in how many people actually had health insurance and how much it covered.

In the 1960's most insurance policies had a pretty substantial, but not prohibitive up front deductible. And most, maybe all, didn't cover routine doctor visits, checkups, routine shots, the basic charge for an emergency room visits. But a routine doctor's visit was about $5 as was a PT shot. A visit to the ER was maybe $25 and you could pay that out if you needed as well as pay out your hospital stay if you didn't have cash in the bank. Thus folks didn't HAVE to have insurance in order to afford basic routine health care. Those who had serious uncovered expenses were in more touble, but again the hospitals worked with folks to help them find a way to pay their bills and also churches and local charities almost always kicked in to help those in need. (Yes, I was working for hospitals and/or churches and/or local charities intermittently during the 1960's and 70's)

In the mid-1960's, Hubby had just changed jobs and was in a 30-day waiting period for his new hospitalization plan to kick in when he blew his hand up in our furnace producing 3rd degree burns. The ER charge, treating, bandaging, Demerol shot, overnight admission to the hospital, and follow up cost $50. That was money to us in those days but it was not devastating for sure. What would it be now? $5,000? $10,000?

I didn't read the whole thing, but the paper Walter posted seems to contain some good information. One thing that I appreciated that it pointed out is that healthcare insurance is only one cog in the machine and there are many many other factors involved.

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
My concern is that Obama is leading us into another enormous costly and almost certainly problematic inefficient govenrment entitlement program.

Said with a perfectly straight Foxy face. Just where might the deficit be now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
One thing that I appreciated that it pointed out is that healthcare insurance is only one cog in the machine and there are many many other factors involved.

It really does? If so, I must have remembered it the wrong way (and most probably mistaken it, too).

Nevertheless, I doubt that it really backs what
what you wrote:

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
One thing that I appreciated that it pointed out is that healthcare insurance is only one cog in the machine and there are many many other factors involved.

It really does? If so, I must have remembered it the wrong way (and most probably mistaken it, too).

Nevertheless, I doubt that it really backs what
what you wrote:

Doubt it all you want. I worked in the industry and utilized the industry back then. And because I handled credit and customer relations for one of those hospitals I worked for, I saw the bills that went to insurance companies and the bills printed out for people who did not have insurance and helped them come up with a plan to pay off their bills--sometimes as little as $10/month if that is all they could afford. I also helped hook them up with social services for additional help. For most, not having insurance was not the end of the world nor was it necessary to get most healthcare.

And I was still there at the time that Medicare when into effect. And I saw how things began to change almost immediately.

I based my opinion on the content of that article on the summary paragraphs showing that many if not most of the same problems that were in place in the 1960's are still there now. The main difference I see now is that the problems are far more difficult for people now.
old europe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
I think in the case of healthcare, an absolutely free market would produce the most choices and the best quality for those who could afford it. I do not believe it would provide the most affordable prices.

Well that is something we can debate for sure. I believe that a free market with plenty of healthy competition has been pretty consistent in being favorable for the consumer.

I'm not sure if that's true for the quality of health care, but the fact that health care in the United States - without the existance of a universal health care system, without mandates or socialized health care - is the most expensive system in the world:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2gv5vys.gif

So even in comparison with a completely nationalized system like the British NHS, the free market approach in the United States doesn't seem to have brought down the cost of health care.

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:16 pm
@old europe,
That isn't the issue here though OE. The issue is whether Obama's or McCain's plan is more likely to make things better. So again I refer you to the original question(s).

You see pointing out the sins of the present administration or Republicans or Democrats is not useful in coming up with solutions, but carping on such sins seems to be all that some wish to do. Which tells me they are operating from purely meanspirited partisan ideology and there is no real interest to do the hard mental work of determining what is the best course of action now no matter who is proposing it.
old europe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
That isn't the issue here though OE.

The cost of health care, especially in comparison with other mandatory or socialized health care systems, isn't the issue?

Okay.

<leaves thread>
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
That isn't the issue here though OE.

The cost of health care, especially in comparison with other mandatory or socialized health care systems, isn't the issue?

Okay.

<leaves thread>

It could certainly be part of the rationale for the argument. But tell me how Obama's plan will achieve lower costs or how McCain's plan won't or vice versa. Don't tell me that socialized medicine is preferable to free market as if that is a solution. Rather take your data into Obama and McCain's plans and show how it applies to either and how that affects the plausibility of either.

I have provided my observation/rationale for how the socialized medicine we now have sure hasn't produced lower costs. Why should we think that increasing that socialized medicine will produce lower costs?
old europe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Ah, you added something to your post. Okay.

Foxfyre wrote:
You see pointing out the sins of the present administration or Republicans or Democrats is not useful in coming up with solutions, but carping on such sins seems to be all that some wish to do.

Nonsense. I'm bringing up the current situation, because it allows to compare the American system with a system like the British one, where everything health care is state run, or with a system like the Swiss one, where everything health care is privately run, albeit as a statutory system.

There's a lot of material out there for comparison, to evaluate the claims whether going more free-market or going more socialized would have certain effects.

This has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Foxfyre wrote:
Which tells me they are operating from purely meanspirited partisan ideology and there is no real interest to do the hard mental work of determining what is the best course of action now no matter who is proposing it.

Nonsense. I have criticized Obama's plan in the past on the long-running universal health care thread, and I'm still sceptical whether or not a voluntary system would have a significant effect towards making health care universal.

You're blinded by your own partisanship.
JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
You see pointing out the sins of the present administration or Republicans or Democrats is not useful in coming up with solutions, but carping on such sins seems to be all that some wish to do. Which tells me they are operating from purely meanspirited partisan ideology and there is no real interest to do the hard mental work of determining what is the best course of action now no matter who is proposing it.

She says with one face then the other, then twirls like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Doubt it all you want. I worked in the industry and utilized the industry back then. And because I handled credit and customer relations for one of those hospitals I worked for, I saw the bills that went to insurance companies and the bills printed out for people who did not have insurance and helped them come up with a plan to pay off their bills--sometimes as little as $10/month if that is all they could afford. I also helped hook them up with social services for additional help. For most, not having insurance was not the end of the world nor was it necessary to get most healthcare.

I didn't (at least: I didn't want to do so) refer to your own and personal experience but just and only to the paper I quoted.

ASnd after re-reading it I still think that it doesn't back what you said, namely "the fact that health insurance in America was readily available, affordable, and excellent up to the 1960's".
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:30 pm
@JTT,
Anyone who still belive that USA is blemishless( Soup sipping SUPER power)
are immatured.
After all this nonsensical drama in the name of DEMOCRACY no one with to follow USA's democracy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Ah, you added something to your post. Okay.

Foxfyre wrote:
You see pointing out the sins of the present administration or Republicans or Democrats is not useful in coming up with solutions, but carping on such sins seems to be all that some wish to do.

Nonsense. I'm bringing up the current situation, because it allows to compare the American system with a system like the British one, where everything health care is state run, or with a system like the Swiss one, where everything health care is privately run, albeit as a statutory system.

There's a lot of material out there for comparison, to evaluate the claims whether going more free-market or going more socialized would have certain effects.

This has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

My comment was directed at those who keep bringing up slams at the current administration or the GOP and was not targeted at you specifically. And yes, there is a lot of material out there. I hope we will explore it thoroughly which is what I invited you to do.

I agree this has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans and, as you indicated, the issue of socialized versus private healthcare is being thoroughly debated on other threads. What I want to do here is determine whether Obama or McCain's healthcare plan has the most promise to produce the best possible results or at least do the least harm. I don't think that is an unreasonable concept to look at.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Which tells me they are operating from purely meanspirited partisan ideology and there is no real interest to do the hard mental work of determining what is the best course of action now no matter who is proposing it.

Nonsense. I have criticized Obama's plan in the past on the long-running universal health care thread, and I'm still sceptical whether or not a voluntary system would have a significant effect towards making health care universal.

You're blinded by your own partisanship.

Again everything isn't about you OE. There are others participating on this thread besides you and me. When I ask for the McCain and Obama plans to be compared or the CATO analysis to be considered, I am really serious that this is what I want here. It is not helpful for somebody to interject that the deficit is bigger or they prefer the British system (or whatever). Neither Obama nor McCain is proposing the British system (or any other European system or the Canadian system et al)

For you to accuse me of blind partisanship is simply to avoid the questions I am asking which have not been the least bit partisan.
old europe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
It could certainly be part of the rationale for the argument. But tell me how Obama's plan will achieve lower costs or how McCain's plan won't or vice versa.

I think that Obama's plan does indeed have the potential to lower the cost of health insurance, simply by virtue of regulating the market. This is the same approach Mitt Romney has taken in embarking on a transformation of the health care system in Massachusetts into a universal health care system.

(Can discuss that in more detail, if you want to.)

Foxfyre wrote:
Don't tell me that socialized medicine is preferable to free market as if that is a solution.

I'm not. In fact, in the specific case of the health care system in the United States, I'm actually against a socialized system.

Generally, I would say that socialized systems and mandatory private systems can perform about equally well. (Can discuss that in more detail, if you want to.) However, I don't think that Americans, in general, would be too willing to go along with a socialized system.

None of that is pertinent to Obama's plan, though, as it doesn't even try to socialize the health care system.

It's true that the plan includes expanding some government services. I'm not sure that's a good way of working towards a universal health care system. In fact, when comparing the American system (that leaves millions of people uninsured) to other universal systems, it's quite astonishing how much of the system has already been socialized.

Foxfyre wrote:
Rather take your data into Obama and McCain's plans and show how it applies to either and how that affects the plausibility of either.

That's a bit broad. What aspects of the respective plans specifically? Are we talking about the plausibility of achieving a universal health care system in the United States, based upon the proposals by the candidates?