94

What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

1  
Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:05 pm
So far this year has been a stellar year for theatrically released films!

10/10:
1. Ghost Writer. This Polanski film is the only one of the 2010 ten theatrically released films listed here I haven't seen in the theater.
2. The Social Network
3. The Town
4. My Dog Tulip
5. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
6. Toy Story 3
7. Inception
8. Kick-Ass

9/10:
Soul Kitchen
Despicable Me
Iron Man 2
Micmacs

8/10:
Never Let Me Go

7/10 AKA Minor disappointments:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Dinner For Schmucks

1  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:04 pm
My top 25 list of theatrically released films 2010:
ACTION/CRIME
ANIMATED
DRAMA/COMEDY
DOCUMENTARY
MYSTERY/THRILLER

1. Summer Wars Japanese anime about how a math nerd tries to save the global internet from an AI program that goes rogue after its release by the US military in a beta test.

A great movie that deals with extended families and the importance of family loyalty and support network. Cutest couple in a movie this year.

2. Carlos;

3. Inside Job Could be considered a murder mystery as we still are sure who killed the economy with the 2008 real estate and banking fueled financial crisis and the people we know were guilty are still roaming free....

4. Winter's Bone;
5. Ghost Writer;
6. Black Swan;
7. How to Train Your Dragon;
8. The Social Network;

9. Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Elliot Spitzer (weird numerological coincidence) The director in an odd turn hired actress Wrenn Schmidt to acted out the transcript's of Angelina's answers to the director's interview. Angelina was Eliot Spitzer's favorite go to escort. Wrenn Schmidt deserves a special acting Oscar for some of the goofy things she has to say.

10. My Dog Tulip;

11. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Best indie rock soundtrack this year. Best popcorn flick this year as well.

12. Toy Story 3;
13. True Grit;
14. The Town
15. 127 Hours;
16. Inception;
17. The Fighter;

18. Mother You will be hard pressed to find a more doting and protective mother in a film these past couple of years.

19. Blue Valentine Best romance and onscreen chemistry this year. Pack kleenex in sleeve when watching.

20. Kick-Ass;
21. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows;

22. Soul KitchenBest rock and classic R&B soundtrack in this charming and funny German film that revolves around a hard working Turkish restauranter and his brother who can't stay out of trouble.

23. Despicable Me;
24. Iron Man 2;
25. The Prophet;
panzade

1  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:07 pm
Where's The American?
talk72000

2  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
The Inside Job:

1  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm
@panzade,
I still haven't seen it. It's somewhere on my Netflix queue as I believe the DVD comes out at the end of January.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks Talk. Great interview. Still infuriating to dive into the subject.

talk72000

1  
Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:25 pm

Wall Street Government:

1  
Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 10:37 pm
Went to see The Trip, the feature film by Michael Winterbottom starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. I guess it was a BBC television series edited down to feature film length movie as it was given a limited theatrical release here in the US.

Simple premise. Steve Coogan has been hired to travel northern regions of England to review restaurants for a culture magazine. He wanted to do the job so he could have a paid vacation with his girlfriend. Since his girlfriend had to do some business back in the United States, Coogan decided to ask his friend Rob Brydon to accompany him around on the countryside foodie tour.

Throughout the film, each actor playing himself in this mockumentaryesque film tries to outdo each other in some monumental bits of improv and celebrity impressionist riffs. Hysterical comedy with bits of melancholy and humanity thrown in.

I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for the television show which I believe is 40 minutes longer or so then the movie version.
panzade

1  
Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 09:57 pm
Just saw Super 8...great flick.

All the kids are great actors...the only weakness is the monster is pretty trite.
dlowan

1  
Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:26 am
Coool....been considering that one.

dlowan

1  
Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:28 am
@panzade,
Saw a tv crit on this one. Worth it, eh?
panzade

1  
Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:54 pm
@dlowan,
In a wide screen cinema it was entertaining

folloman

2  
Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 05:39 am
@dlowan,
Immortals
The Muppets
are the best films i have seen this year

RexRed

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:52 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Any really good films from your continent, Fbaezer?

I think both The Dark Knight and High Noon were made in the American continent.

Wiki Excerpt:
The Dark Knight was filmed primarily in Chicago, as well as in several other locations in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Hong Kong.

Krumple

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 04:18 am
I think one that hasn't been mentioned that was good in my opinion and highly underrated.

Sucker Punch

I think the reason it didn't get more hype is because it is quite a bit different than the typical story telling. It's like 3 stories in one.

Phoenix32890

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 06:25 am
@panzade,
Rented Super 8........................only because Mr. P. is a sci-fi fan. I can't stand movies where BEMs are the stars. Anyhow, I was delighted by the acting of the youngsters, especially the young blonde girl, whose name I can't recall. I think that she has a bright future in acting.
panzade

2  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
My Sis is a partner in a movie company in Vancouver so when I go up we see a lot of flicks.

I want to recommend The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Rooney Mara who plays Lisbeth Salander in the movie is a scene stealer without parallel. Daniel Craig is good also.

There were a couple of rape scenes that were a bit too graphic for my liking but the movie was fast paced and intense.
I recommend the Swedish version also. It develops the characters a little more thoroughly.

Also saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. A great performance from Gary Oldman. I suggest you read Le Carre's book first or you'll be scratching your head.

dlowan

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:27 pm
@Phoenix32890,
What's a BEM?
panzade

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:26 pm
@dlowan,
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
dlowan

1  
Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:14 am
@panzade,
Surely you jest!