What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

DrewDad

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:12 am
@Shapeless,
No, I hadn't read the graphic novel. No worries on following the plot, though.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:57 pm
I finally saw The Dark Knight but kept falling asleep . . . which is probably the best way to see a Batman movie.
tsarstepan

Sun 7 Mar, 2010 11:08 pm
@plainoldme,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:47 am
Crazy Heart is the best of a small group of films.
0 Replies

spidergal

Sat 1 May, 2010 11:17 pm
I've watched around a dozen movies this year. For some weird reason, Up in the Air stood out for me. One of my friends didn't like it much. "Nothing great about it," she said. Yea, it may not be great, but there's something about it that sort of strikes a chord within. I think it tells the story of our time -recession, getting fired, etc.

And I liked the heated conversations between Clooney and the young recruit of his company.

It's got that American Beauty feel to it, which fascinated me.

dlowan

Sat 1 May, 2010 11:48 pm
@spidergal,
Yes...I liked that too.

My current favourite is The Last Station.

Oh my!!!!!

Such a wonderful and complex examination of Tolstoy's marriage in its later years (with HELEN MIRREN as Countess Tolstoya!)

And it's evocation of the iconification of Tolstoy.

Brilliant.
plainoldme

Sun 2 May, 2010 08:05 am
@dlowan,
I really wanted to see The Last Station because I am a long time Helen Mirren fan but did not have the time during the two weeks it showed locally. I really like going to the theatre over sitting in front of my computer watching at my desk.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 12 May, 2010 08:28 pm
Went to see Iron Man 2 this afternoon. It was well worth seeing it in the theaters. Almost as great as the first one. Missed it by a hair's width.

Loved the geeky mechanical engineering scenes in the second which were a big part of the first movie.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Fri 28 May, 2010 10:43 am
I've been on a comedy kick.

Recently saw The Hot Tub Time Machine and The Back up Plan. Both which were great in their own way. Hot Tub, being silly, irreverent and totally meaningless. Which is nice sometimes to not have to think about anything. And the Back Up plan because the love of my life starred in it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 28 May, 2010 10:47 am
@spidergal,
Just saw Up in the Air on DVD and liked it OK. Kinda depressing in that it reminded me a lot of my brother.

Also saw Butterfly Effect recently. Interesting-to-watch time travel flick, but a couple of logical inconsistencies plus the ending made it not one of my favorites.
CarbonSystem

Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:00 am
AVATAR was excellent! I loved the movie so much I went back and saw it again, then rented it and saw it again.
Sure, it's got some korny lines here and there, and the stereotyping is almost hilarious (especially the army personnel).

But the research that obviously went into the movie is incredible. Most especially because of the content which seems to have been researched so well. Creating new species of animals, basically thinking up an entire eco-system based on ours on Earth.
Most of all, the understanding of the universal soul and spirit; it was truly incredible.
Of course 3d is cool too.

Just recently saw this Jim Carrey movie "yes man" and it was surprisingly good.
Jim Carrey's friend convinces him to attend a 'yes' seminar, where he is then engaged in a covenant to say yes to every opportunity, which leads him on hilarious yet fulfilling journey, especially since he's a loan officer. Saying yes all the time..ha.

Also, A Scanner Darkly was great. I love roto-scoped movies, I love movies that question our society in any way, and use current sitations as very firm foundations for a crazy movie. It's also a Richard Linklater film, which leads me to my perennial favorite:
Waking Life.

It's about dreams. The main character basically happens upon all of these different scenes and litle conversations, all of the discussing dreams and existence etc. It's also rotoscoped, live action animated basically.
And he made dazed and confused.
And slacker.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:03 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I finally saw The Dark Knight but kept falling asleep . . . which is probably the best way to see a Batman movie.

Sounds like the opposite of me, I love batman movies. They got shaky in the 90's, but damn, the dark knight was surprisingly excellent. I thought the movie was all hype, then I saw it and realized it was great.

Actually, once I watched all the batman movies through an entire night to lead up to the release of the 2nd to last batman that came out.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
Oh yeah:

All of this dark knight talk reminds of one I recently saw and thoroughly enjoyed:

The Wonder Emporium of Dr. Parnassus.
I think that's the correct name for it.
Anyways, I loved it, touched on some really awesome themes, had great acting, Tom Waits was even in it! Heath Ledger was behind this one, and wore a very intersting dero looking mask too.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:31 pm
The best movie of 2010 will surely be Mao's Last Dancer. God, what an exciting movie, very beautiful to watch. So were the other people in the audience.
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:15 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
just saw Up in the Air on DVD and liked it OK.

Just saw The American, again with Clooney carrying the movie. The dirty little secret is that this is an ART flick. Wink
Thoroughly enjoyed the slow pace, cast, cinematography and lack of a soundtrack.
tsarstepan

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:37 am
@panzade,
Somewhere in my room are two Netflix DVD's: Up in the Air and the first disc to the Dr. Who flick End of Time. Both are kind of lost and remain unwatched. Rolling Eyes

Here is my tally of this year's (2010 theatrically released) crop of films:
10/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Toy Story 3
Inception
Kick-Ass

9/10

Soul Kitchen
Despicable Me
Iron Man 2
Micmacs

Minor disappointments:
7/10
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Dinner For Schmucks

Comedy/drama = Green
Foreign language = Red
Action = Blue
Animated = Brown

Each film is arranged in order of preference within their respective ratings.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:49 am
It was last year, but the Lady Diane and I saw The Bucket List. The story of two terminally ill men escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
@panzade,
That's why The American is on my netflix list (once they distribute it).
panzade

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:24 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, osso. You will love the scenes shot in the Italian countryside.
Except for some breath-taking panoramas, there's no need to see it at a movie theater.
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:24 am
@spidergal,
I agree. 100%
0 Replies