94

What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

carloslebaron

0  
Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 06:19 pm
TOP FIVE

I have not seen "The Interview", because I know by principle that Chis Rock's movie is a million times more funnier and that is having a better director and actors.

This movie is not "better than" but is one of the best comedy movies of 2014, if not the best of the best.

The film offers everything, time to laugh, time to think, time to laugh again.

There is no a perfect movie, but this one in particular is a "complete movie". There are no missed details where suddenly someone or something appears or disappears thanks to the editing work, nor there is a vacuum where someone is needed to explain why this and that in the movie reviews. The traveling view is smooth, funny, with stops that allow you to finish your popcorn without missing a single sound coming from the film.

I'm glad to have watched this movie, because besides the F word here and F word there, this film is even "inspirational". Lol

plainoldme

1  
Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:46 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Which film? Birdman?
Phoenix32890

1  
Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 06:49 am
@plainoldme,
The Grand Budapest Hotel. I could not make no sense of it, and I did not think that it was funny.
dlowan

2  
Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 07:52 am
@Phoenix32890,
I liked it a lot. Vive le difference!

SumitaSofat

1  
Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 04:51 am
@fbaezer,
The interview is the best film and i like it so much...

plainoldme

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 11:09 am
I liked The Budapest Hotel. It is a Wes Andersen film and that wraps it up. He's not your average director but then again, neither was Robert Altman, or is Jim Jarmusch. His films are difficult but he is one of those directors who bring out unexpected things -- in a positive sense -- in his casts.
Lordyaswas

2  
Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 11:58 am
@plainoldme,
Loved the Budapest Hotel!

Just my sort of humour.
plainoldme

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Your comment made me smile. I don't know you well, but, when you said it was your sort of humor, I said, "yep.'

Lordyaswas

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:48 pm
And now for 2015.

I know what I'm going to see when it comes out on the 23rd Jan.

Right up my street.....

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:52 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Loved the Budapest Hotel!

Just my sort of humour.

The humor, er, humour, has a very British feel to it. Ralph Fiennes' roll was a revelation. He is funny.

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 10:44 pm
tsarstepan wrote:

Jon Favreau directed and starred in a very mouth watering and very charming character piece. Quite funny and down to earth.

Even Oliver Platt's restaurant critic was a fully three dimensional human rather then a one dimensional villain.

What was the name of the movie?

1  
Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 06:13 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

What was the name of the movie?

Chef (2014)

FBM

1  
Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 07:15 am
Just watched An Unfinished Life. I would recommend it.

1  
Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 10:14 pm
@FBM,
Just got back from seeing "Inherent Vice",,,,,,the Washington Post Critic gave it raves and 4 stars. Several people walked out during the show. I still don't what it was really about, I should have read the book. The critic said Hollywood wasn't really sure how to present the story, to which I say "duh". I enjoyed the performances, lots of well known actors, lots of talent but I don't know what the story was. However, I really enjoy Joaquin Phoenix, so his performance was worth the price of the tickets.
panzade

2  
Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 02:58 am
@glitterbag,
Pynchon...tough read.

dlowan

1  
Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:11 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Can you tell us more about the film?
dlowan

1  
Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:12 am
@glitterbag,
Intriguing

FBM

1  
Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 05:07 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

FBM wrote:

Can you tell us more about the film?

Well, to start with, the combination of Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford is hard to pass up. Jennifer Lopez also plays a main character and does a great job, but I'm not that much into her. She's Robert Redford's widowed daughter-in-law and Morgan Freeman is RR's ranch hand. RR holds JLo's character responsible for his son's death. A lot of tension going on, and I don't want to spoil it. It's not one of the all-time greats, but I didn't regret the experience.

plainoldme

1  
Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 09:27 am
I watched a film from 2006 called The Duchess with Ralph Fiennes as the male lead. The film is sort of soft core costume drama porn based on real people. As the film has a mix of flaws and some really strong points, I looked it up. Fiennes received critical applause but the role was difficult. The man in question was stupid, passive aggressive and narrow minded. That's a difficult task. I liked him better in Best Budapest Hotel.

FBM

2  
Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 04:51 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I mentioned Birdman a while back, a few days ago the paper reported the film had received several Golden Globe nominations and I think also nominations from the actors guild. I feel so much better, I didn't anyone but mr. glitterbag & I had seen the film.

I finally got ahold of the film and watched it. Damn. Best movie I've seen in a very long time. Thanks for the heads-up.