Breaking! McCain to Revoke Palin Nomination

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:59 pm
I think she's a badf choice, a rightwingut, unqualified and a liar already (bridge to nowhere) However, I don't think this kind of **** is fair without real proof.
maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
agreed BPB....plenty of other stuff to attack her on. This is wrong, even for Roxxxanne.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:09 pm
@wandeljw,
Even if this far-fetched story is true---it shows her unwavering belief that abortion can be avoided by drastic measures. I would think she was wonderful to protect her daughter's privacy....if she didn't want it known....an abortion would have erased a scandal. Good for her either way.
Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
If pictures showing her daughter preganant and her not pregnant is not proof, I don't know what is. That said, her decision to fly for 11 hours after her water broke is reason enough to disqualify.

BTW since when is politics supposed to be fair?
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:32 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Even if this far-fetched story is true

The only thing far-fetched is Palin's pregnancy story. And she was protecting herself, not her daughter.

Big mistake.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
@Not a Soccer Mom,
I am changing my position; I did not know that the daughter was pulled out of school for four months before the birth, I now believe that Palin might possibly be dumb enough to think that she could get away with this lie and be VP nominee, and reports are that McCain did not fully vet Palin...

I am now in the "wait and see" camp
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:29 pm
okay...

let's think about this.

* a woman knows that her child will be born with a a serious disease.

* she travels thousands of miles to a political event that could take place just as well with her or without her.

* while far from home, she realizes that she is going into labor early, with a delivery that could be compounded or dangerous due to the combination of prematurity and disease.

* she proceeds to give a speech, which in the scheme of things, is pretty unimportant.

* so, after her water breaks, rather than go to a local hospital, she instead gets on a plane to travel thousands of miles back home.

* has anyone seen that there was a qualified doctor on the plane with her? i haven't.

hey, people can do what they want. it's really nobody else's business.
UNLESS...

unless you are one of a crowd of people who constantly extoll your commitment to the sanctity of life. and insisting that everybody else believe the same, to the extent that you want to outlaw abortion.

by affirming "the sanctity of life", you are by definition saying that any and all pregnancies are priority number one, without exception. no ifs, no ands and no buts. ( yeah.. no butts. some people are into it, but it has yet to produce a pregnancy. but i digress.)

so, if this is the case, if sarah palin is pro-life, affirming the sanctity of life, how could she possibly choose to take a single chance that her child could suffer any kind of problem in birth by getting on a long plane ride without a doctor? or with one for that matter.

and, for the silly reason that "she didn't want the child born in texas"?

sumpin' ain't addin' uphare...

i mean really. i'm as pro-choice as they come and i would never have let ms. dtom pull that. even with a normal pregnancy.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:40 pm
If this story has any truth to it at all, its incredible...
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:
incredible...

truly, man. at the very least.

and there may be something to it. my niece has lived in juneau for over 10 years. my wife just came back from there on monday.

when she heard of palin's pickup, she about fell out of her chair. "that's the one i started telling you about !!", says she.
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
Here is the latest.

Quote:
We're not in Kansas anymore. We're in Alaska.

The rise of Gov. Sarah Palin from the City of Wasilla Planning Commission, to City Council, to Mayor, to a high level position in the Frank Murkowski gubernatorial administration, to maverick outsider, to Governor, to Vice Presidential nominee, over the course of fourteen years, is meteoric. The first 20 months of her administration saw her approval ratings in the high 80s. But this summer, in a surprise move, she fired a highly respected chief of public safety. Then, the man Palin appointed to be the new top cop, lasted only a few days, as a sexual harassment charge against him surfaced. And her stated reasons for firing Walt Monegan in the first place, never made any sense.

The fallout from that move is still playing out. In July, the Alaska Legislature hired a well-respected retired prosecutor, Steve Branchflower, to handle the investigation. It was given a low budget, but its slow pace may now be hurried and harried forward. But it is still expected to take months.

Palin's Attorney General, my longtime friend, Talis Colberg, was tasked by Palin to hold his own investigation. So far, that has resulted in the suspension of her boards and commissions director, Frank Bailey, for pressuring at least one state trooper, to act against another trooper, who is Palin's sister's ex-husband. The latter is involved in a child custody dispute with Palin's sister. This is real Hatfield-McCoy stuff.

Having known Palin through most of her political career, I've seen her grow as a politician, and until recently viewed her as a person who could be described as a pragmatist. Over the course of 2008, though, she has made a series of moves that indicate she is as close-minded as most Alaska Republicans.

Resource development issues, particularly ANWR oil, offshore drilling and a series of projected mega-mines and coal-fired power plants are major here. Palin's stance on resource development is totally pro-development. At the same time, she has rejected the earmark paradigm exemplified by the careers of Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young.

Her growing anti-science stance is the most disturbing development, in my eyes. Early this year, she took a position to refuse to release correspondence to a leading Alaska academic and environmentalist, Rick Steiner, between state-employed scientists, regarding the state's support of the Bush administration's decisions on Polar bear status. And as Siun has observed in an earlier firedoglake post, her backing of an anti-science position on a voter initiative, while sitting as governor, may be more than just unethical.

Her decision to fly from Texas back to Alaska after her water had broken this spring has been criticized, but nobody's put it better than Anchorage progressive talk radio personality Shannyn Moore put it today:

Last spring there was the big announcement of Sarah Palin’s 5th pregnancy. I’m pro choice, happy she was able to make whatever choice was best for her family. With her oldest child in the military, three more at home, and one on the way she was getting quite a bit done. I would have wanted a nap and a spa, but that’s just me. In the last few weeks of her pregnancy she was flying all over the country, Washington D.C. and then to a conference of Republican Governors in Dallas. Her water broke at the conference and she decided to fly back to Alaska to have her 5th child that she knew had downs-syndrome. She passes up some of the finest children’s hospitals in Dallas, Seattle and Anchorage, to fly hours and then drive to 50 miles to her home town to have her child. I admire her ability to hold a child in during all those hours and miles above the Earth, and her staunch loyalty to Alaska to deliver her baby on Native Soil.

But had I been on board one of those planes on the way to take a loved one off life support, or be at a wedding, or job interview, or any other event that we get on planes for, and had to be diverted by a woman who knowingly got on board after her water broke, I may not admire her uterine control so much. Her lack of judgment for fellow passengers seems obvious, but for someone who is so pro-life it seems reckless.

Meanwhile...

OK I admit that when I posted this, it was a bit of a tease but I really did believe just on instinct that her pregancy story was hokum. I was at least 95% sure. I am now 99% sure that she will not be the candidate come November 4th.

McCain would have to be crazy to keep her on the ticket. Of course, he IS crazy.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:42 pm
@Not a Soccer Mom,
Faking pregnancies doesn't really bother me that much.

What about bombing innocent Christian nations to take rape allegations and/or things like Chinagate off the front pages of American newspapers? Has Sarah Palin ever done that??
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:27 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
What about bombing innocent Christian nations to take rape allegations and/or things like Chinagate off the front pages of American newspapers?

dude... you are so stuck in reverse.

but, you wanna play gotcha? okay.

where's the fu*kin' weapons of mass destruction???

where's the fuc*kin' mobile chemical labs???

where's the fu*kin' nuke program???

where's the fu*kin' saddam connection to 9/11???

and best ever...

where's the fu*kin' unmanned drones??

until you can post something that you didn't "believe" until you were told to by hannity & rush & monsuier savage, why don't you content yourself with re-rerunning the uber-christly reverend falwell's "clinton killed vince foster" tapes?

that is, if they ain't worn out yet...

talk about sheeple. shet an' gawdawmightydammit...
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/SLdkos/ddddd-2-1.jpg

Partial List of Republican Women More Qualified to be President Than Sarah Palin
posted by Gatemouth
Fri, 08/29/2008 - 11:04pm

Senators: Lisa Murkowski, Alaska(?!?); Olympia Snowe, Maine; Susan Collins, Maine; Elizabeth Dole North Carolina; Kay Bailey Hutchison, Texas

Governors: Oline Walker, Utah; Linda Lingle, Hawaii, M. Jodi Rell, Connecticut

Members of the House: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen Florida; Deborah Pryce, Ohio; Barbara Cubin, Wyoming; Sue Myrick North Carolina; Jo Ann Emerson, Missouri; Kay Granger, Texas; Mary Bono, California; Heather Wilson , New Mexico; Judith Borg Biggert , Illinois; Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia; Marsha Blackburn, Tennessee; Ginny Brown-Waite, Florida; Candice Miller, Minnesota; Marilyn Musgrave, Colorado; Thelma Drake, Virginia; Virginia Foxx, North Carolina; Cathy McMorris Rodgers, West Virginia; Jean Schmidt, Ohio

Cabinet: Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State; Elaine Chao, Secretary of Labor; Margaret Spellings, Secretary of Education; Mary Peters, Secretary of Transportation; Susan Schwab, US Special Trade Representative
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
More on Troopergate from Josh Marshall of TPM

Getting Real About Palin

I've noticed some people who should know better claiming that bringing up Gov. Palin's troopergate scandal is tantamount to making a victim of or defending her slimeball ex-brother-in-law who allegedly once used a taser on his stepson.

That's awfully foolish. So I thought I'd put together a post explaining why.

The person in question is state trooper Mike Wooten -- Palin's ex-brother-in-law who's embroiled in a bitter custody and divorce battle with Palin's sister. Back in the second week of August, well before Palin became a national political figure, TPMMuckraker was reporting on this story. And as part of the reporting we tried to get a handle on just how bad a guy Wooten was. Most people who are familiar with the ugliness that often spills out of custody and divorce cases know to take accusations arising out of the course of them with a grain of salt unless you know a lot about the people involved. And if you look closely at the case there are numerous reasons to question the picture drawn by the Palin family. Regardless, we proceeded on the assumption that Wooten really was a rotten guy because the truth is that it wasn't relevant to the investigation of Palin.

Let's review what happened.

The Palin family had a feud with Wooten prior to her becoming governor. They put together a list of 14 accusations which they took to the state police to investigate -- a list that ranged from the quite serious to the truly absurd. The state police did an investigation, decided that 5 of the charges had some merit and suspended Wooten for ten days -- a suspension later reduced to five days. The Palin's weren't satisfied but there wasn't much they could do.

When Palin became governor they went for another bite at the apple. Palin, her husband and several members of her staff began pressuring Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan -- a respected former Chief of the Anchorage police department -- to can Wooten. Monegan resisted, arguing that the official process regarding Wooten was closed. And there was nothing more that could be done. In fact, during one of the conversations in which Palin's husband Todd was putting on the squeeze, Monegan told Todd Palin, "You can't head hunt like this. What you need to do is back off, because if the trooper does make a mistake, and it is a terminable offense, it can look like political interference."

Eventually, Palin got fed up and fired Monegan from his job. This is an important point. Wooten never got fired. To the best of my knowledge, he's is still on the job. The central bad act was firing the state's top police official because he refused to bend to political pressure from the governor and her family to fire a public employee against whom the governor was pursuing a vendetta -- whether the vendetta was justified or not.

Soon after this, questions were raised in the state about Monegan's firing and he eventually came forward and said he believed he'd been fired for not giving in to pressure to fire Wooten.

After Monegan made his accusations, Palin insisted there was no truth whatsoever to his claims. Nonetheless, a bipartisan committee of the state legislature approved an investigation. In response, Palin asked the Attorney General to start his own investigation which many in the state interpreted as an effort to either keep tabs on or tamper with the legislature's investigation. Again, very questionable judgment in someone who aspires to be first in line to the presidency.

The Attorney General's investigation quickly turned up evidence that Palin's initial denials were false. Multiple members of her staff had raised Wooten's employment with Monegan. Indeed, the state police had a recording of one of her deputies pushing Monegan to fire Wooten. That evidence forced Palin to change her story. Palin said that this was the first she'd heard of it and insisted the deputy wasn't acting at her behest, even though the trascript of the recorded call clearly suggested that he was. (Hear the audio here.)

Just yesterday, Monegan gave an interview to the Washington Post in which he said that not only Palin's aides, but Palin's husband and Palin herself had repeatedly raised the Wooten issue with him and pressured him to fire him. And now he says he has emails that Palin sent him about the matter. (In an interesting sidelight, that may end up telling us a lot, Monegan says no one from the McCain campaign ever contacted him in the vetting process.)

The investigator appointed by the state legislature began trying to arrange a time to depose Gov. Palin last week -- in other words, in the final days before her selection.

So let's put this all together.

We rely on elected officials not to use the power of their office to pursue personal agendas or vendettas. It's called an abuse of power. There is ample evidence that Palin used her power as governor to get her ex-brother-in-law fired. When his boss refused to fire him, she fired him. She first denied Monegan's claims of pressure to fire Wooten and then had to amend her story when evidence proved otherwise. The available evidence now suggests that she 1) tried to have an ex-relative fired from his job for personal reasons, something that was clearly inappropriate, and perhaps illegal, though possibly understandable in human terms, 2) fired a state official for not himself acting inappropriately by firing the relative, 3) lied to the public about what happened and 4) continues to lie about what happened.

These are, to put it mildly, not the traits or temperament you want in someone who could hold the executive power of the federal government.

--Josh Marshall
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
George Will this morning on ABC This Week (talking about Palin): "Her experience of knowing the child she was going to give birth to had Downs Syndrome and bringing the child to term will do more to energize the base of the Republican Party than anything else."
Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@wandeljw,
George Will = Clueless!

I hear that the National Enquirer is on Babygate which would not normally be worrisome to the McCain campaign except for the fact that they broke the Edwards story.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:46 am
@Not a Soccer Mom,
That's called "abuse of power." Sound familiar? Think of Bush.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
@Not a Soccer Mom,
I was wondering about that.

I still don't know what to make of this story. I dismissed it out of hand at first. Some of the stuff I've read really does sound suspicious -- especially in aggregate -- but I don't know how much of it is true. (What is the source for the idea that Bristol was out of school for anywhere between 3 and 8 months with mono?)
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:01 am
@Not a Soccer Mom,
Roxxxanne, you are the one thats clueless.
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:46 am
@sozobe,
Jeesh, I just had to put another member on ignore because he or she is trying to diminish my POV by claiming that I am someone else.

Sozobe, I trust my intuition as much as I do my logic, I believed this story almost immediately even though it is hard to confirm much of anything because so much information has been scrubbed already. But that alone should tell you something. The mono story is all over the internet, but, admittedly, it is still at the rumor stage since no one has asked the Governor to confirm or deny it.

I hear the National Enquirer is on it, which normally wouldn't mean much except that they broke the Edwards Love Child Story.

If you google "Bristol Palin Pregnant" you will come up with a couple hundred thousand hits.

Quite frankly, Sarah Palin Fatigue has already set in for me. Even without Bristolgate, there's Troopergate ( www.talkingpointsmemo.com is all over that) and at least a thousand other reasons (did you hear the Shockjock audio in which she laughed when her foe was called a bitch and a cancer---the woman had cancer!) to make her disqualified to be Vice-President. This pick is a non-starter. She won't last the week.