Palin's is the Pick

maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Some pundit on the news had the audacity to argue that Obama's superior experience was born from him running for president! Is their no end to the absurdity?

This is one of the funniest arguments I've ever heard.

He wasn't ready to be president.....until he ran for president.

I've heard that same argument here from some ardent Obama supporters.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
@maporsche,
jezz, giant killers used to get more respect....

Hillary had done all of the prep, had most of the establishment with her, had scared away all challangers who had a shot at beating her. A nd then this young pup Obama came along and refusing to wait his turn took her on, and beat her....
maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

jezz, giant killers used to get more respect....

Hillary had done all of the prep, had most of the establishment with her, had scared away all challangers who had a shot at beating her. A nd then this young pup Obama came along and refusing to wait his turn took her on, and beat her....

I liked Clinton...don't like Obama...will vote for McCain/Palin.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:51 pm
@mysteryman,
alaska is not like any other state....alaskans are not like the people in any of the other states as they themselves will tell you, they pride themsleves on being a little strange.

Mysteryman, you clearly know nothing about alaska..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:53 pm
@maporsche,
Bah. You'd better think hard about supreme court justices. And none of the BS about the Dems in the senate stopping them, for you KNOW they are horrible at that.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I hear you.....there's still time for me to be convinced to change my mind.
maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:58 pm
From the Daily Show

"Every time Barack Obama speaks and angel has an orgasm."

HaHa
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@maporsche,
Fair enough.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
: nicole415 (Post 3381819)
Quote:

Palin has six years "experience" as a mayor of a hamlet (pop 9000) and a state whose population is smaller than major American cities.

mm wrote:
So that makes a difference.
Alaska has the same problems that every other state has, and it has some problems that are unique.
Are you now suggesting that only governors from states with a certain population threshold are allowed to run for president?
What is that magical number?

Anyone can run for VICE-president if the candidate is stupid enough to pick them. I am merely contrasting Obama'a life experience with hers and there is NO comparison.

Harvard Law vs. a BA in journalism from U of Idaho. Obama ran the most stunning campaign in modern political history vs. someone in charge of a hamlet and one of the smallest states in the nation? There is no magic number and it's pretty revealing that that is how your mind works. I would give her a lot more credit if she had been Governor of Cali or NY. Of course, someone of her caliber could never be elected as Governor of a big state.

That said, I am thrilled that the Republicans have a woman running for the second spot. Unfortunately, if somehow McCAin wins, it would be in spite of her not because of her. She is an empty pantsuit.

BTW I forgot to mention maporch when I noted Miller as an ersatz Hillary supporter. Hell, there is even a forum of bogus Hillary supporters. It is SO obvious.

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:32 pm
@maporsche,
PORSCHE
Quote:
there's still time for me to be convinced to change my mind.

Change your mind? Apparently you haven't one if you consider Mccain equivalent to Hillary Clinton. You are a full grown man, aren't you? So stop acting like a pissy little child who didn't get you favorite Christmas toy and do your own investigation and compare how Mccain compares to Obama on the important subjects of the day with where Hillary Clinton did during her campaign.

If you can convice yourself that Mccain is better than Obama concerning the reasons you supported Clinton you never understood jackshit about what Clinton was all about.
nicole415

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
The Palin Pick, the gift that just keeps on giving!

Palin giggles at opponent being called "bitch"

Palin Took Heat For Giggling After Radio Show Host Attacked Opponent As "Bitch"
By Greg Sargent - August 30, 2008, 3:23PM

This is starting to get attention on liberal blogs and elsewhere: It appears that earlier this year, Palin took heat for standing by and giggling on the air while a radio host called her political foe, Alaska State Senate leader Lyda Green, a "bitch."

Palin was taken to task in a January 2008 editorial in the Anchorage Daily News...

Gov. Sarah Palin really stepped in it when she appeared recently on the show hosted by two admiring radio personalities, Bob and Mark of KWHL.

Bob used the b-word to describe Sen. President Lyda Green, who is no friend of the governor. Instead of saying she objected to her supporter's making such a juvenile and inappropriate insult, she giggled nervously...

She came off looking immature herself, almost high-schoolish. It was conduct unbecoming a governor.

According to ADN columnist Dan Fagan, who slammed Palin in the wake of the radio appearance, Palin also didn't object when the host called Green a "cancer," even though Green is apparently a cancer survivor:

Early on in the conversation before Palin started to crack up, Lester referred to Sen. Green as a jealous woman and a cancer. Palin, who knows full well Lyda Green is a cancer survivor, didn't do what any decent person would do, say, "Bob, that's going too far."

In the same column, Fagan said that the ADN had posted audio on the site (we can't find the original link), so presumably this can be considered solid. There's some purported audio of the exchange on YouTube, but we haven't yet verified its authenticity.

Palin, who also recently said she didn't like Hillary's "whining," reportedly apologized to Green after the whole thing blew up into an uproar.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
I know that Alaska is a tiny state with lots of fed and oil money to grease the skids, being GOV should be a breeze.....but not for Palin apparently

Quote:
Palin's replacement for Monegan, Chuck Kopp, was forced to resign just two weeks after he was appointed because of a sexual harassment complaint that had been filed against him when he was the chief of police in Kenai, Alaska.

Palin, in a news conference announcing Kopp's resignation July 24, said she was unaware that the Kenai city council had reprimanded Kopp as a result of the complaint. She wouldn't discuss how her staff had vetted Kopp before naming him to replace Monegan three days after Monegan was fired
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/campaign-2008/story/665897.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:38 pm
@kuvasz,
I have a mind thank you. Like I've repeatidly said, there are policy positions for both democrats and republicans that I agree and disagree with. The religious right often keeps me from considering republicans, and McCain is no friend of theirs . I believe Obama will be a failure, he does not strike me as genuine.

I can easily vote for McCain knowing that the democrats in congress will keep his more unfavorable positions in check.

I will elaborate further later.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I believe Obama will be a failure...

Depends on your point of view and perspective. Nihilists and communists would probably be celebrating after 8 years of an Oinkbama regime.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 08:17 pm
@gungasnake,
Obama is a person who can sooth the ANTI-American (Legitimate and justfied ) views. In that respect he can bring back that country to the decent world.

I am a die hard Gandhi cum karlmarx supporter.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 08:25 pm
@gungasnake,
This thread is not about Obama or Rama or Dalailama or Oklagoma or any mamamam. it is about an unknown urchin with rich experience in family life and a new entrant in politics to fool around.
I have 20 links( not the rational internation links but critical American links which will take 40 hours to read once.
As a neutral observer i feel very sorry for the innocent wage-earning decent americans
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Just a story about the lady who adorns the title of this thread.
"The surprise pick of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as the vice presidential running mate of Senator John McCain is indicative of a sharp political crisis within the Republican Party.

With barely a year and a half in office as the governor of the country’s least populous state, Palin had been generally ruled out as a potential nominee. She herself told the Washington Post earlier this year that her selection was an “impossibility.” Much of the media responded with incredulity to the announcement made by McCain in Dayton, Ohio Friday.

Until two years ago, Palin was a part-time mayor of an Anchorage suburb of less than 8,000 people. Before that, the 44-year-old mother of five had served on the local PTA and had gained some recognition as a star high school basketball player and contender in an Alaskan state beauty pageant.

She won an upset victory in the gubernatorial race in 2006, but remains a virtual political unknown outside of her home state, even within the Republican Party.
( the rest you can read)
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/aug2008/paln-a30.shtml
Thomas

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:31 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo wrote:
Remember, the main reason Alaska was admitted into the Union was for it resources. It is long past time we utilize them.

I don't know that Alaska's resources were the main reason it was admitted into the Union. May I ask what's your evidence for this claim?
maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:03 am
@Ramafuchs,
How long was Obama in the Senate before deciding to run for president?
sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:45 am
@maporsche,
Not really.

I wished he had more experience but researched him thoroughly and thought he would do well, even without extensive experience. (He's now been in the U.S. Senate for 4 years and was in the state senate for 8.)

Meanwhile, my predictions as to how he would do in an executive role have been borne out. He has run a really stellar campaign.

hilzoy wrote:
Obama has spent the past year and a half running a large organization -- as of last December, it had "about 500 employees and a budget of $100 million" -- and running it very well. It's not just that he and his team beat the Clinton campaign, which started out with enormous advantages. It's not even that he often did so by building effective political machines from scratch in states in which Clinton had locked down the political establishment. It's that every account of the Obama campaign that I've read makes it clear that he has done an outstanding job of constructing and running a political organization. For instance, this account of Obama's campaign is very much worth reading, if you want to get a sense of how he runs things:

Quote:
"The story of how Obama assembled his top advisers " and how he got them to work together as a team " offers a glimpse into his approach as a chief executive who manages an organization of nearly 1,000 employees. Obama has built "an amazingly strong machine," says Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, president of the Chief Executive Leadership Institute at the Yale School of Management. "People expected a more ad hoc, impromptu, entrepreneurial feel to it. It has been more of a well-orchestrated symphony than the jazz combo we expected."

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/08/executive-exper.html

(Links in original.)
0 Replies