Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 01:22 pm
It is rare that I agree with Izzy. However, I agree that you are spreading hate. Babbling about your imaginary friend does not justify your talk of rebels and damnation. Christians like you give all of the people in that category a bad name. All you do here is puke up hate--you certainly do not contribute anything worth while to the topic under discussion.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 01:23 pm
@brianjakub,
You both decided to be homophobic bigots. You made a conscious choice. You chose to spread hate, I just called you out on it. What's really disgusting is when repulsive bigots try to play the victim card.

Now you're both going on ignore, I won't be wasting any more time on you.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 02:16 pm
@Setanta,
Guess this is how the world turns, ppl like Christ, who simply demonstrate love, compassion, and truth are completely misunderstood, ‘for the darkness cannot comprehend light ‘....,
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 03:31 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Your Christ is a fictional character that evolved from Greek and Egyptian mythology. There are no gods. This planet is 4.55 billions years old that evolved to what it is today. Homo sapiens evolved from primates. http://humanorigins.si.edu/education/introduction-human-evolution Get over your god myth. The christian god is one god of thousands created by men. Nobody hears your silent prayers. If you feel comfort from praying, by all means pray, but don't expect god to answer any of your requests. As for thanking god for your food, thank the farmers and the grocery stores for making food available, because millions of people suffer from hunger every day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 07:27 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Once again, it is YOU who is spreading the hate, Don't hide behind your imaginary friend. Once again, you are not posting anything relevant to the topic of the thread.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 12:07 am
@brianjakub,
Quote brianjakob:
Quote:
Traditional Christians are a minority. You seem to be spreading hate
Depends on what your definition of 'traditional" is. A majority of the country consider themselves Christians.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 12:58 am
@Blickers,
I never said anything about Christians, Jesus said to Love Thy Neighbour and any Christian who follows those teachings is fine by me. It's the bigots and hate merchants who use scripture, (mostly old testament) to promote their own bigotry that I have a problem with.

Today they're doing it to homosexuals but not so long ago it was used to justify poor treatment of black people including slavery, apartheid, segregation and colonialism.

Quote:
The Dutch Reformed Church supported Apartheid and in 1982 was expelled from the World Alliance of Reformed Churches which declared Apartheid to be a sin. In 1986 during the General Synod the church changed its stance on Apartheid and opened its doors to people of all races (the Andrew Murray ministry within the Dutch Reformed Church, since its inception, had its doors open to people of different cultural backgrounds and ethnicities). After various processes the Church has been accepted back into the World Alliance of Reformed Churches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Reformed_Church_in_South_Africa_(NGK)
gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 01:17 am
For any newcomers who may have missed this previously..

A proof or disproof is a kind of a transaction. There is no such thing as absolutely proving or disproving something; there is only such a thing as proving or disproving something to SOMEBODY'S satisfaction. If the party of the second part is too thick or too ideologically committed to some other way of viewing reality, then the best proof in the world will fall flat and fail.

In the case of evolution, what you have is a theory which has been repeatedly and overwhelmingly disproved over a period of many decades now via a number of independent lines reasoning and yet the adherents go on with it as if nothing had happened and, in fact, demand that the doctrine be taught in public schools at public expense and that no other theory of origins even ever be mentioned in public schools, and attempt to enforce all of that via political power plays and lawsuits.

At that point, it is clear enough that no disproof or combination of disproofs would ever suffice, that the doctrine is in fact unfalsifiable and that Carl popper's criteria for a pseudoscience is in fact met.

The educated lay person is not aware of how overwhelmingly evolution has been debunked over the last century.

The following is a minimal list of entire categories of evidence disproving evolution:

The decades-long experiments with fruit flies beginning in the early 1900s. Those tests were intended to demonstrate macroevolution; the failure of those tests was so unambiguous that a number of prominent scientists disavowed evolution at the time.

The discovery of the DNA/RNA info codes (information codes do not just sort of happen...)

The fact that the info code explained the failure of the fruit-fly experiments (the whole thing is driven by information and the only info there ever was in that picture was the info for a fruit fly...)

The discovery of bio-electrical machinery within 1-celled animals.

The question of irreducible complexity.

The Haldane Dilemma. That is, the gigantic spaces of time it would take to spread any genetic change through an entire herd of animals.

The increasingly massive evidence of a recent age for dinosaurs. This includes soft tissue being found in dinosaur remains, good radiocarbon dates for dinosaur remains (blind tests at the University of Georgia's dating lab), and native American petroglyphs clearly showing known dinosaur types.

The fact that the Haldane dilemma and the recent findings related to dinosaurs amount to a sort of a time sandwich (evolutionites need quadrillions of years and only have a few tens of thousands).

The dna analysis eliminating neanderthals and thus all other hominids as plausible human ancestors.

The total lack of intermediate fossils where the theory demands that the bulk of all fossils be clear intermediate types. "Punctuated Equilibria" in fact amounts to an attempt to get around both the Haldane dilemma and the lack of intermediate fossils, but has an entirely new set of overwhelming problems of its own...

The question of genetic entropy.

The obvious evidence of design in nature.

The arguments arising from pure probability and combinatoric considerations.

Here's what I mean when I use the term "combinatoric considerations"...

The best illustration of how stupid evolutionism really is involves trying to become some totally new animal with new organs, a new basic plan for existence, and new requirements for integration between both old and new organs.

Take flying birds for example; suppose you aren't one, and you want to become one. You'll need a baker's dozen highly specialized systems, including wings, flight feathers, the specialized system which allows flight feathers to pivot so as to open on upstrokes and close to trap air on downstrokes (like a venetian blind), a specialized light bone structure, specialized flow-through design heart and lungs, specialized tail, specialized general balance parameters etc.

For starters, every one of these things would be antifunctional until the day on which the whole thing came together, so that the chances of evolving any of these things by any process resembling evolution (mutations plus selection) would amount to an infinitessimal, i.e. one divided by some gigantic number.

In probability theory, to compute the probability of two things happening at once, you multiply the probabilities together. That says that the likelihood of all these things ever happening, best case, is ten or twelve such infinitessimals multiplied together, i.e. a tenth or twelth-order infinitessimal. The whole history of the universe isn't long enough for that to happen once.

All of that was the best case. In real life, it's even worse than that. In real life, natural selection could not plausibly select for hoped-for functionality, which is what would be required in order to evolve flight feathers on something which could not fly apriori. In real life, all you'd ever get would some sort of a random walk around some starting point, rather than the unidircetional march towards a future requirement which evolution requires.

And the real killer, i.e. the thing which simply kills evolutionism dead, is the following consideration: In real life, assuming you were to somehow miraculously evolve the first feature you'd need to become a flying bird, then by the time another 10,000 generations rolled around and you evolved the second such reature, the first, having been disfunctional/antifunctional all the while, would have DE-EVOLVED and either disappeared altogether or become vestigial.

Now, it would be miraculous if, given all the above, some new kind of complex creature with new organs and a new basic plan for life had ever evolved ONCE.

Evolutionism, however (the Theory of Evolution) requires that this has happened countless billions of times, i.e. an essentially infinite number of absolutely zero probability events.

I ask you: What could be stupider than that?

Fruit flies breed new generations every few days. Running a continuous decades-long experiment on fruit flies will involve more generations of fruit flies than there have ever been of anything resembling humans on Earth. Evolution is supposed to be driven by random mutation and natural selection; they subjected those flies to everything in the world known to cause mutations and recombined the mutants every possible way, and all they ever got was fruit flies.

Richard Goldschmidt wrote the results of all of that up in 1940, noting that it was then obvious enough that no combination of mutation and selection could ever produce a new kind of animal.

There is no excuse for evolution to ever have been taught in schools after 1940.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 01:20 am
Evolution is no longer being defended by anybody with anything resembling brains or talent. It is being defended by academic dead wood such as you see here in three or four cases. The last generation of the dead wood will be gone in twenty years and will not be replaced.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 04:05 am
@izzythepush,
Just as people who make a stand against evolutionism are considered and called bigots by ppl like yourself *sigh*
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 04:16 am
"Evolutionism" is a political term invented by those who cannot abandon their biblical bigotry, it is certainly not a label anyone else uses. This is the kind of hatred we see in the fairy tales from the Bronze Age, still embraced by religious bigots: If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them (Leviticus Chapter 20, Verse 13). Ah . . . feel the love.

Acceptance of evolution as the best, most plausible explanation of the diversity of life on the planet is not a political statement. Only religious extremists attempt to characterize it that way. This is just one of many reasons that I find religious fundamentalists to be the merchants of hate.

Helloandgoodbye has contributed absolutely nothing here but hatefulness and bigotry. He (?) certainly has had nothing germane to say about the topic.
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 04:22 am
@Setanta,
From my experience and observation the most bigotry comes from people who embrace evolution and atheism as their religious beliefs.
But you are entitled to your opinion.
Calling people bigots really gets nowhere, because it can be easily spun around
I used to be an evolutionist/atheist. But when I was of age I sought the truth, and now I acknowledge creation and the God of Israel. I know my motives are to embrace truth no matter what it is, But again, you are entitled to your opinion
jespah

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 05:02 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
It's not really an opinion when there's, you know, evidence to back it up.

BTW don't bother yelling at me about atheism 'cause I actually believe in God. But it's probably not a preferred faith for you, so maybe it doesn't count.

Shrug.

There is a lot of evidence of evolution. There is no evidence of creationism except for some old, poorly-translated books written by people who were pre-scientific and doing the best with what they had. There's also no evidence of intelligent design, 'cause if there was, my knees wouldn't suck like they do, and neither would a lot of people's. We'd be amazing in every way.

Except when we're not.

I'm glad you're happy. Hey, happiness is awesome!

But please don't mistake it for scientific inquiry.

kthxbai
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 05:48 am
@jespah,
Your knees would not suck if Sin did not enter the world.
Just as there would be no flash eating disease, bloodsucking mosquitoes, bushes with thorns even.
I just find it interesting how people like yourselves do use this as evidence that there is no creator.
That is what this thread is all about, people taking observations like the fact that the creation can adapt minorly, and stating this is evidence that a frog can turn into a prince With the ingredient of time
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 05:56 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Atheism is not a religious belief, it's a lack of belief. I am amused and amazed by the number of people we get here who claim to have been atheists. Claiming to have been an "evolutionist" is not convincing either, because that's a label invented by religious bigots.

As Jespah points out, scientific evidence is not an opinion. Telling people as you have that if they "rebel" they will doomed to eternal torment is hateful. Excoriating homosexuals is bigotry. Your putative god of Israel would be a bigot, if he/she/it thought that way about those who the religionists insist that god created. What kind of moron would create this vast and complex cosmos just for a pack of ignorant and hateful bigots whose belief set includes condemning and even killing others said god is alleged to have create? Your god is implausible.

Once again, this thread is about challenges to the teaching of evolution. I have never seen you address the topic. All I've seen from you is religious cant, and not very sophisticated cant at that. Really . . . do you have anything to say on topic?

Oh . . . I almost forgot . . . *sigh*
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 05:58 am
This member's screed is getting wilder and less plausible as time goes on. Who here has alleged that frogs can turn into princes? What the hell does that have to do with challenges to the teaching of evolution?
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 06:00 am
@jespah,
Just as people like yourself see evidence of bigotry, when nothing of the sort even exist
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 09:12 am
@jespah,
So, you see the error in your thinking? How You wrongfully interpreted the fact that your knees ‘suck’ as evidence that there is no intelligent designer.
You see how this evidence can easily support the Existence of an intelligent designer.... and support the idea that we live in a fallen/cursed/sinful world?
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 09:33 am
@Setanta,
Btw, Leviticus chapter 20 verse 13 is about the law, not about the love.
Through this we can know what is right and what is wrong too.

God was looking to make Israel a holy pure nation, resembling what a heavenly society will be like. Without sin.
God commanded ppl who have sex with animals, sex with their relatives, ppl who practice ‘psychic abilities’, ppl who curse their mother and fathers name, ppl like rebelllious sons all to be out to death as well. (Seperate and purged from a ‘Holy Society’ (of course Israel sinned, and did not do these things, and their nation crumbled because of their disobedience)

It is the old covenant which was only for Israel to obey as well. Not the nations around her.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 09:55 am
@jespah,
Quote:
There's also no evidence of intelligent design, 'cause if there was, my knees wouldn't suck like they do, and neither would a lot of people's. We'd be amazing in every way.

Aw, come on jespah, if you really believe in God and he’s anything like the dude I know, you must see that this carcass is for temporary use only. The nice thing about it wearing out is that it usually happens somewhere near its expiration date. Which is something to look forward to, if you are serious about knowing the dude.