Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:38 pm
@plainoldme,
Sarfati is an example of someone who, trained in one area, uses these creds to establish a "ministry" in others. He is a P chemist but has very little actual ewxperience in radiometric dating so its easy to have him critcicize (mostly from an amateurs perspective) things like decay constants. He hs consistently been playing a fools game to make "Scientists recognize" that radiometric decay and isotope geochronology must factor in that a year in the CRetaceous ws a lot shorter than a ytear today. He doesnt understand the math behind what goes into the concept of a geochronological "Annum"

He tries to take on gentecists and evolutionary biologists from his limited por. He is one of the Creationists who feels that, if you say something loud enough and often enough it will be believed. Hes a fool . However, seeing the schism that may be apparent between the AIG and Creationist Ministries and the ICR is gratifying. All thanks to the "Homeschool crowd". I love these ultraconservative homeschoolers. They have so many issues that they must uphold, yet they are incapable of mounting any mass showing of hands from among the "GAzillion of Creation scientists". If you look at it, there are really only about 20 of these guys out there and they have to claim expertise in Biology, radioisotope chemistry, genetics, molecular biology, biogeography,geology,physics etc. Thats one of the reasons that they always show up ill prepared in any given field.They just dont have the horsepower to pull it off.

Safarti's not impressive in prson. He can be a powerful "stump speaker" but you soon realize that theres no "there" there. (Sorta like our spendi and his Rocinante ANUS.
All vines and no taters.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:50 pm
@farmerman,
I remember when homeschooling was a left-wing movement, whose chief impetus was to improve education, at least on the family level, and not to insert religion into the curriculum and/or decry evolution.

I do know people for whom home-schooling is still a means to a better education for their children. For example, in the town of Waltham, MA, there is a home-schooling group where the parents team-teach. There are MIT professors to teach science, Boston Globe journalists to teach writing, etc.

I witnessed an unpleasant home schooling parent. I had gone to a pottery school, called Mudville, which holds sales on alternate years during the Christmas season. It is about half a mile from another pottery school, Mudflat. I had taken a class at Mudflat, simply because it had offered a half-session one summer, which was as much tuition as I could afford.

This homeschooling mother had her 16 year-old daughter in tow, who she kept referring to as a "singer," "an operatic soprano." She told the potters and me several times that her daughter was home schooled. She said she taught her daughter American history through Broadway musicals. Then she asked whether they had classes for teens and decided on the spot that her daughter had to take a workshop.

Then she turned to me and asked me whether I had ever done any potting. I said that I took a summer class down the street. She said she didn't know there was another pottery school. The potters told her it was a larger place with more kilns and wheels. She asked whether I had enjoyed it. I told her yes except that because the class was short, we only worked on cylinders (the instructor said beginners start either with a cylinder or a bowl-shape).

Although the mother herself had never potted, she became angry at the other school, declaring it worked against creativity. She continued to snort and repeat the word cylinder, alternating with snorts. Then she began declaring how much she hated the other school.

When she finally left, I asked the potters about their relationship with Mudflat. They told me it was friendly, not competitive.

I told this story in detail because, to me, the woman epitomized the sort of prejudice that drives the homeschooler of the religious right.

In fact, the attitude reminds me of some of our posters!

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Sarfati is an example of someone who, trained in one area, uses these creds to establish a "ministry" in others.

fm is an example of someone who, trained in one area, uses these creds to establish a "ministry" in others. The standard description suffices. (see above).

With radiometric dating don't you just put in the sample, press a button and read off its age.

What's your position on eugenics in the "scientifically civilized society" you are trying to incubate? With no answer to that you are all vines and taters.

Ionus

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
they have to claim expertise in Biology, radioisotope chemistry, genetics, molecular biology, biogeography,geology,physics etc.
You mean like our dear old Gomer the Turd claiming expertise in Biology, Psychology, Sociology, History, Art, Physics, Theology, Philosophy, Biological Chemistry, etc....enough to recommend a future for mankind devoid of religion because the Old Testament was not scientific enough for his liking . No references . No list of experts who wrote it .

Quote:
Safarti's not impressive in prson.
You have seen him in prison ?
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:24 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
claiming expertise in Biology, Psychology, Sociology, History, Art, Physics, Theology, Philosophy, Biological Chemistry, etc
I never claimed expertise excpet in areas I have training in. I only tried to set you strait whenever you open your fat mouth and spew all kinds of misinformation out on the A2k boards. You have (for a reason that is not apparent) developed many fucked up positions on so many areas (like slavery not being THE issue of the US Civil War, or ABSTRACT ART not being worth anything). I do have to join in the discussions because to do otherwise would be to allow your bloated stupid opinions to be continued unchallenged. IF you dont like people "doubting you" , dont be making all the stupid pronouncements.(See any Dino DNA lately ?, )

However , to be honest, I dont think Ive ever taken a position on psychology or sociology, even when youve said something outrageously stupid (Hard to tell when you are just being ordinary stupid or outrageously stupid).

spendius

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 05:16 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
However , to be honest, I dont think Ive ever taken a position on psychology or sociology.

You have so carefully avoided such matters that it looks like you are scared of them.

And there's no need to insist on your being honest.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:34 am
@spendius,
Quote:
fm is an example of someone who, trained in one area, uses these creds to establish a "ministry" in others. The standard description suffices. (see above).

I truly wish that this sort of "argument" will be laid to rest. It is used on this forum exclusively by conservatives. Having nothing to say themselves, they throw back at other commentators what the first parties said. Remember the Little Rascals, also called Our Gang, movies made during the 1930s featuring a cast of child actors in comedies that generally had a Aesop-turn at the end? One recurring line was, "So's your old man," a response to any insult offered one of the rascals. The movies were about very young children: 7 - 8 year olds. The language was appropriate to very young children. It's not appropriate to an aging alcoholic like spendius or some of the retirees like ican.
Ionus

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:41 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
See any Dino DNA lately
You see, you are an expert in everything ! You just didn't know it . There are experts who think the chicken may be the closest relative to T Rex...but not you .

Quote:
However , to be honest, I dont think
Oh please...trying to sway the voters are we ?

Quote:
I never claimed expertise except in areas I have training in.
Oh, like the following :
Quote:
the US Civil War
ABSTRACT ART
What is your formal training in those areas ? You are the clown who thinks if he likes abstract art then he must be with-it, despite being half senile .....you are the clown who read in a grade 5 history book that the USA Civil War was all about slavery...such nice people them white folk...that is why the black man hasn't had a problem since that war....

As for your opinion, you are the dummy who thinks there are no holes in evolution because your emotions wont accept it . Some scientist you are .....
Ionus

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:47 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
It's not appropriate to an aging alcoholic like spendius or some of the retirees like ican.
What about dodderers like you and Gomer the Turd ? Are your insults mature and reasonable but not too old ? As when you call spendi an aging alcoholic or ican a retiree as though that in itself is an insult .....

Others think you are not too bright and I have reluctantly agreed with them . Just as well you work with the young because adults would tell you where to get off .

Quote:
I truly wish that this sort of "argument" will be laid to rest.
No you dont . You truly wish for your crap to be believed just like in the classroom where you can hide your personality defects, and fail any who doubt . Just like Gomer who has admitted to enjoying failing his students...you see how much cleverer you two are ?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:53 am
@Ionus,
If you think there was an insult in my post, then you need to look up a therapist and immediately book an appointment. Your constant reference to farmerman as Gomer the Turd is both inappropriate and inaccurate and does nothing for your image, lessening the value of whatever contribution you might have to make here.
spendius

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:59 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Having nothing to say themselves

Viewers here can decide for themselves whether I have anything to say.

But I suppose that if you are in denial that anti-IDers are closet behaviourists we can hardly expect you to engage with the matter and your blather will have to suffice as proof that you have something to say.

Why are you keeping it a secret that you are a closet behaviourist? It's not something to be ashamed of. It's a perfectly respectable and well documented way of looking at human nature. Skinner, Watson and Pavlov &Co. It's the method used to get you to dress the way you do.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:01 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
If you think there was an insult in my post
Will you be employing any aging alcoholics or is that an insult ? Perhaps you would be pleased to be called an aging alcoholic ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:06 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Gomer the Turd is both inappropriate and inaccurate and does nothing for your image
Never noticed how much he fits **** and arseholes into his posts ? I am just following his lead....it is appropriate .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:10 am
TENNESSEE UPDATE
Quote:
Watson says bill not attack on evolution
(Andy Sher, Chattanooga Times-Free Press, March 31, 2011)

Sen. Bo Watson said Wednesday his bill letting teachers discuss “weaknesses” in “controversial” scientific theories in the classroom is not an attack on evolution, but critics denounce as a backdoor effort to undercut teaching of it in Tennessee public schools.

“It’s not an evolution bill. That’s a red herring. It germinates an emotional response that [critics] want,” said Watson, R-Hixson, a day after former House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh, D-Covington, derisively referred to the measure in a House panel as the “monkey bill.”

That was an allusion to the law Tennessee lawmakers passed in the 1920s banning the teaching of evolution in public schools. It later led to the infamous 1925 “Monkey Trial” in Dayton of school teacher John Scopes.

Watson presented the bill, saying it seeks to “create an environment” in public schools “that encourages students to explore scientific questions, learn about scientific evidence, develop critical thinking skills and respond appropriately and respectfully to differences of opinion about controversial issues.”

The bill also says “teaching of some scientific subjects, including, but not limited to, biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning, can cause controversy.”

Hume-Fogg High School biology teacher Wesley Roberts testified against the bill. Noting he has studied the Scopes trial “extensively,” Roberts said “part of our rich cultural history in Tennessee is opposition to evolution education. This bill is part of that tradition. It is not inviting students to discuss the controversy of the Vietnam war. It’s not encouraging students to discuss the true value of pi. It’s aimed at science and evolution.”

Roberts questioned whether the bill is an effective “mandate to allow any idea, no matter how scientific or nonscientific into the classroom.” He cited examples including what he said was a Chinese creation myth “in which fleas become humans.”

He warned that “however attractive it may sound to have the discussions of nonscientific ideas in our science classroom, it’s not the souls of our students that are at stake here. What is at stake is how they will perform on standardized tests in which they will be compared to students across the state, the nation and the world.”

Dr. Robin Zimmer, of Knoxville, an environmental toxicologist, spoke on behalf of the bill. He said current instruction methods are no way to teach science and “our falling national aptitude reflects this. This bill offers an improvement in our approach to science education.”

He cited figures that the United States now ranks 31st in the world when it comes to science education. More “critical analysis” should be allowed in classrooms, he argued.

Zimmer is listed as director of the Center for Faith and Science International on the group’s website.

Also testifying on behalf of the bill was Harold Morrison, who said he was a Nashville biology teacher with more than 30 years experience teaching evolution.

“Now I would never try to proselytize any of my students into believing what I think,” he said. “But I do think students should be knowledgeable of scientists who go against conventional thought so students can draw their own conclusions.”

Sen. Andy Berke, D-Chattanooga, asked Zimmer if he thought there were “reasonable scientific controversies about the theory of evolution.”

Calling it a “great question,” Zimmer said there are “numerous ones.” He said when he was involved a decade or so in the human genome project, scientists talked about “junk DNA” that amounted to “useless remnants” of human evolution. But he said more recently, scientists say it appears much of it has a function such as “suppressing cancer or whatever.”

Speaking to reporters later, Watson, who was a biology major in college, said “evolution doesn’t explain everything. Currently evolution is the most legitimate scientific process that we have to explain how the world works around us. But there are competing ideas” such as creationism and intelligent design.

He said ideas don’t necessarily equate to scientific theory and may fall more into areas such as philosophy or religion.

“They may not meet the scientific standard, but if they come up in a science class ... and it’s not listed in the state’s curriculum, a teacher should not be off-putting and say that’s not in the curriculum — if you want to talk about intelligent design you should go down the hall to the religious studies class. Teachers should be able to say, look, there are people who view that as a competing idea.”

But teachers still would have to teach the science curriculum, Watson said.

There was no vote on the measure Wednesday.
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:29 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
There are experts who think the chicken may be the closest relative to T Rex...but not you .

YOU are a lying sack of **** ANUS. Try to cover up your stupidity by lying. WHat you said was that Chickens qwere dinosaur descendants because of their DNA similarities. THATS Actually what you posted so dont ya go trying to shift around with some subtle footwork. Noone here has ever stated that they doubted the evolutionary relationship between birds and dinosaurs.(Weve had an archeopteryx fossil from Germany for over 100 years that clearly shows bird-like lizard features , or lizard-like bird features).
Its all been done by morphology of intermediates up tillnow. YOU are the first one who had raised the ante by claiming that there was dino DNA out there somewhere with which to compare to chickens, and thats just bullshit. Youve gotta know that. No matter how you try to extract your position from that point, your original post has you nailed as a liar.

Quote:
What is your formal training in those areas ? You are the clown who thinks if he likes abstract art then he must be with-it, despite being half senile .....you are the clown who read in a grade 5 history book that the USA Civil War was all about slavery...
I do have a BFA in studio art ( I used to do illustrations and I do painting now). History is a passion, Ive had formal training in college level courses and Ive done probably waay more reading as an amateur than you. HOWEVER, to refer back to the thread (I believe it was a thread by Edgar Blythe) you jumped in with dubious claims that the Civil War (you refused even to call it a Civil War) was NOT about slavery. ALl your "evidence" of states rights etc all had to do with a states rights to continue slavery. I dont think I was alone. Setanta's history knowledge is pretty much the gold standard herein and he also disagreed with your Australian view. Then, somehow, after youd been left without any argument to bear, you started ad hominems, and of course everyone piled on.

Admit it, your just not too bright in many areas and Im not the only one who has reminded you of your condition. It seems your only weapon in response is to get nasty as a badger. I dont much get bothered by bullies like you. I rather enjoy watching your responses get more and more savage as you become m ore frustrated.
My suggestion still stands. STop making the stupid comments.
High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:39 am
@wandeljw,
Wandel - either you're much, much braver than I am, or else you don't know the first thing about crossfire, so here it is: duck! Of course, this is your thread Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 09:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman, I was introduced to the hoatzin on my trip to the Peru Amazon a couple of years ago. It has a very interesting history, and scientists claim it's one of the oldest.

My photo of the hoatzin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_5318.jpg

Quote:
hoatzin
ARTICLE
from the
Encyclopædia Britannica
Get involved Share

hoatzin (Opisthocomus hoazin), Hoatzin (Opisthocomus hoazin). [Credit: Painting by Murrell Butler]primitive chicken-sized bird of South American swamps, principally in the Amazon and Orinoco river basins. The young possess two large claws on each wing, a trait that has led some scientists to link the species with the fossil Archaeopteryx of the dinosaur era. The hoatzin is the only bird with a digestive system that ferments vegetation as a cow does, which enables it to eat leaves and buds exclusively. Hoatzins feed on swamp plants, grinding foliage in a greatly enlarged crop (not the gizzard, as in other birds). Adults can fly clumsily for short distances, but they spend most of their time perched, digesting their leafy food. A large rubbery callus on the bird’s breastbone acts as a tripod to keep it from falling over when its stomach is distended.

The hoatzin is about 65 cm (25.6 inches) long but weighs less than 1 kg (2.2 pounds). It has a long tail, plumage streaked brown above and yellowish below, a loose head crest, and a blue face with bright red eyes. Sexes look alike, and both parents, as well as older siblings, cooperate to raise two to five young. After four weeks of incubation, the eggs hatch, and adults feed the chicks a leaf paste regurgitated from the crop. Adult hoatzins hiss, hoot, and yelp at predators, such as tayras and capuchin monkeys. Nests are built over water, and if danger threatens, the young, which are excellent swimmers, will plunge to safety, return to shore, and use their claws to climb back up to the nest.

The hoatzin was first described scientifically in 1776 and has been associated with several bird orders at various times since its discovery. From its external features, it has been linked previously to fowl-like birds of the order Galliformes. Although many authorities presently classify the hoatzin with the cuckoos in the order Cuculiformes, the hoatzin’s foot structure differs from that of other members of the order. (Hoatzins have feet with three toes forward and one behind, whereas cuckoos have feet with two toes forward and two behind.) The hoatzin’s foot morphology combined with its unique internal features have prompted some scientists to assign the hoatzin to its own group, order Opisthocomiformes. Fossil evidence from France suggests hoatzins may have lived over 36 million years ago, during the Eocene Epoch. Hoatzins have existed in Colombia since the Miocene Epoch, which began over 20 million years ago.
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
@wandeljw,
Actually, if this law were upheld and allowed to be implemented, it would, just by its own means stated, bury Creationism by the ovwrwhelming amount of data and evidence that Creationism/ID do NOT possess. If it werent a backdoor attempt, but were a real law to promote "critical thinking" I wouldnt be worried(in a perfect world) However, since this world is populated with dishonest bullshitters from the religious ranks who want only control, then I guess Id have to worry in a real world environment.

However, were I a principal and a chair of a HS science department, Id make my bio and ES teachers stress the level of the evidence they have in what they tech. SO, giving a real weight to evidence and letting the kids be exposed to it could have a totally different result than the legislators want.
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ive never seen one in life. ID seen some study skins at the Phila Academy . INteresting little dude. Now that youve brought it up Im goind to have to look into the various evolutionary modifications that this guy brings. He may be an end member of his own group that has remained from the diversion of birds and reptiles. I wonder of anyone has done a genome study and compared it with ratites and chickens. (The sequential differences in DNA alleles would speak to how close to the diversion from reptiles each family may be.)

Cladistics has become a really complex mathematical web of life. ID only seen the 2D representations of cladograms. I recently saw someone play these things in 3D, thus opening a wole nother dimension of morphology. I wonder what thats gonna look like on a Tee shirt?
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
@farmerman,
It really got hilarious when he claimed the American civil war was started by Lincoln's administration as a cover for their intention to invade and annex Canada and Mexico. As The Girl put it, he's only capable of thinking of nations in terms of occupying entire continents. The boy does crack me up.

EDIT: Of course, Anus never gives his sources, or lists his credentials--if he actually possesses any.