Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

plainoldme

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 05:43 am
@farmerman,
When we look back, we see that people enjoy relaxing with a story. That makes Gilgamesh and the Iliad no different than CSI. What happened "long ago and far away" where there were once "three handsome brothers" allows hard working people to have a little pleasure and helps bind them together with other members of their tribe.

In the Middle East, those proto-novels simply became scripture. Considering how bone-dry the region is and how hard it was to farm, anyone who had time to spin a yarn had to have been regarded as god's scribe.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 05:45 am
@Setanta,
When it is a two L llama, who's a beast.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 05:47 am
@aidan,
From the sounds of the names your friend selected, I would guess she might have had a surname with harsh vowels. My married name had harsh vowels, so we selected first names that had softer sounds: Ns and Ms to soften the Bs and Ts of the last name.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 05:55 am
@plainoldme,
And as Louis Black always said."MY people, the JEWS, excelled in one key area, and that was MAKING UP BULLSHIT"
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 06:14 am
Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution: PAUL
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 06:15 am
@plainoldme,
Is there a question in there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 06:52 am
I have a fear and loathing of llamas named Soren and Friederich, but since god is dead, it doesn't really matter.
aidan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 07:13 am
@spendius,
Quote:
and these two special llamas don't know they have names either.

Do you really believe that?
I'm thinking animals do recognize their names, if they have them and are called by them often enough.

The assignment of names in society throughout the history of people and animals would be a very interesting subject in terms of the evolution of culture and the roles of animals vs. humans in a society or culture...

I like the name Aidan - but it doesn't really suit me. I'm much more of a Rebecca.
Hey, that just gave me another thought. I wonder how I'd have evolved differently if I'd been named Aidan as opposed to Rebecca.

Pom - I can't remember what their last name was. I want to say it started with a W and was something sort of common - like Williams or Wilson - but I'm not sure - I know it had two syllables - as all their first names did.

All sorts of fascinating subject matter possible under this teaching of evolution umbrella.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:40 am
@aidan,
Rebecca then--

You might be interested in Chapter XIX of Volume I of Tristram Shandy. It deals with Walter Shandy's theory of names.

I could copy and paste it from the book online but it is a bit long as the lock-keeper's wife said to the barge captain.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:52 am
@spendius,
One thing I have often cogitated upon is that if the size of the male reproductive organ is of interest to the female how is it that the male of the species has not evolved a "whopper" in like manner to a giraffe's neck. After all it has been a very long time in the making and natural selection suggests that would be the case.

With the advent of artificial substitutes distributed to the masses, even in colleges canteens I now hear, do you think the male appendage will shrivel like the appendix is supposed to have done. I've seen scientific hypotheses maintaining that modern transportation systems will render legs superfluous.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I wonder how I'd have evolved differently if I'd been named Aidan as opposed to Rebecca.

Youve evolved as you did thanks to your mama and daddy. You DEVELOPED , perhaps, in a fashion that reflected your name Aidan.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:54 am
@Setanta,
and may I say that Soren spat serially.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:14 am
Quote:
There is no controversy, creationism is bunk
(Dave Balson, Opinions Editor, The Daily Eastern News, 3/28/11)

When I saw the headline, "Libertyville Creationism Teacher Keeps Job," I thought "They must be talking about Libertyville, Ala." It turns out there is a town called Libertyville in Alabama (lucky guess), but the article was about a public school in Libertyville, Ill.

The "teacher," Beau Schaefer, admitted to teaching creationism in his high school biology class. The school board met March 22, heard arguments from members of the community, and decided to keep Schaefer on the taxpayer-funded payroll

Some years back, I signed up for the e-newsletter of the National Center for Science Education, an organization that defends the teaching of evolution in public schools. I think it would surprise most people how often legislation aimed at push creationism into science classrooms is introduced into state legislatures across the country.

But those states always seem to be south of the Mason-Dixon line. I grew up about 10 minutes south of Libertyville. It is a wealthy suburb north of Chicago. In 2009, the Illinois State Board of Education ranked Libertyville High School the fifth highest-performing suburban school-this in an area that includes some of the best high schools in the country. It is a place where one expects more from educators.

It's one thing to do a poor job teaching the material. It's quite another to undermine the material by injecting religious dogma.

We hear a lot about the creation vs. evolution "controversy." It is one of those issues where the media completely cops out of their supposed dedication to objectivity. Instead of reporting the objective facts, they do the much easier work of pretending there are two equally valid positions.

There aren't. Evolution by natural selection is one of the most widely accepted theories in all of science and is the basis for the entire field of biology. Don't be mislead by the word "theory." In science, the word grants much more validity than it does in our colloquial language.

Creationism is the idea that organisms do not evolve through natural selection and genetic mutation, but are guided by God, who has a special little plan for everything. You may have heard it called intelligent design, creationism's much more scientific-sounding alias.

Many creationists believe the earth was created 6,000 years ago (long after the agricultural revolution), and that god planted all those dinosaur bones to test our faith.

As you can imagine, there isn't any real controversy in the scientific community, they look to the mountains of observable, verifiable data, not the guy in the sky.

But creationists want us to believe there is a real scientific debate over evolution, and they make the plea that we should "teach the controversy" (it sounds so open minded).

A young woman named Arika Egan made this point at the school board meeting.

"Saying you can't mix creationism and biology is like saying you can't mix chemistry and physics," she said. "They are connected."

Wrong. It is not like saying that at all. Chemistry and physics are two fields of scientific study, each with its own theories, based on observable evidence, which overlap in several areas. Saying you can't mix chemistry and physics is like saying you can't mix chemistry and biology; at certain points, you need chemistry to explain some parts of biology.

For those young people who will probably have similar difficulties with the analogy section of their SATs, let me present a better analogy.

If we are to teach evolution alongside creationism in biology, we should also teach alchemy alongside chemistry, astrology alongside astronomy and magic alongside physics.

One would hope anyone caught teaching such a curriculum, much less proudly admitting to it, would lose his job. But because our educational system has to tread so lightly around the zealots' eggshells, our students are held hostage to religious indoctrination.

Here was a guy showing up everyday, miseducating a class full of students, misusing taxpayer dollars and students' time. He was teaching material that the Supreme Court has said should not be taught in public schools, as it is, by nature, religious.

What does a teacher have to do to get fired?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:34 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
We hear a lot about the creation vs. evolution "controversy." It is one of those issues where the media completely cops out of their supposed dedication to objectivity. Instead of reporting the objective facts, they do the much easier work of pretending there are two equally valid positions.

and

Quote:
Here was a guy showing up everyday, miseducating a class full of students, misusing taxpayer dollars and students' time. He was teaching material that the Supreme Court has said should not be taught in public schools, as it is, by nature, religious.

What does a teacher have to do to get fired?

Needed to be repeated.

0 Replies

MJA

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:59 am
Evolution theory is a creation theory isn't it?

=
wandeljw

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 10:05 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:

Evolution theory is a creation theory isn't it?

=

No. Evolution is an explanation of biodiversity.
MJA

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 10:55 am
@wandeljw,
Evolution is not creation?
Then what is it?
Did we not evolve from the genes of our parents that created us who evolved from the parents who created them?

=
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 10:57 am
@MJA,
MJA, Your confusing creationism with evolution.
MJA

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

MJA, Your confusing creationism with evolution.

What is evolution if it is not about creativity?

=
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:06 am
@MJA,
The subject is origin, not evolution. You're telling us what we already know about evolution. Your twist that evolution is creation is not news to anybody.