Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:45 pm
It all means nothing that I can see. Just abstract talk. I can't see why anybody is getting over-excited about that mush. Talking about teaching evolution theory is not the same as teaching it.

The Claque is all present and correct and dancing on the touch-line with tassles on their wrists before the game starts.

The national legislature voted almost unanimously to invade Iraq. Then the action got going. And the howling began.

Quote:
A 2008 Gallup Poll found only 14 percent of Americans would agree with Darwin that "man evolved over millions of years."

Phew!! Is that true wande?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:21 pm
Also in the Jacksonville Times--Union-

Quote:
MASSAGE BY NICOLE New Year Specials Call for appt. Mon-Sun 9a-7p In/Out Calls Available 904-379-2337 MM17132

That's pimping innit?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:16 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
I saw an interview with Stephen Jay Gould that was filmed about a year before he died. Gould was asked if he still battles creationists. He replied, "Nah. It's a waste of time."

It's a waste of time to try to change the mind of a creationist. But it's never a waste of time to defend science against irrational delusion. There are more people affected by these debates than just creationists and scientists.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:55 am
@rosborne979,
Obviously. That is why the social consequences argument is all that really matters. So it is very surprising that ros such spout this generality when he and his ilk have done nothing but run away from discussing the social consequences of doing away with irrational delusions and leaving everybody at the mercy of science and its determined severities when under the control of the scientific establishment.

Once again the easy sentiment is expressed but minus the beef. They know they can't sell the beef. We'll just be made to have it when they come to power.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:06 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
....he and his ilk have done nothing but run away from discussing the social consequences of doing away with irrational delusions and leaving everybody at the mercy of science and its determined severities when under the control of the scientific establishment.

Run! Everybody! Run!
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:35 am
@wandeljw,
A lot already are doing wande. Have you seen that Burning Man thing. Everybody interviewed was running away from angst, alienation and anomie.

Science isn't coming. It's here. See the young lass with the sperm bank fathered octuplets who plans another go. Some feminists are talking about doing away with men except for a few drones they can milk and who only make girls. They are putting the financial crisis down to testosterone overload hubris. They have been putting wars down to that for many years.

Your reading is too narrow I fear.

Are you posting simply to show you don't have me on Ignore. If you are you needn't bother.

Have you any objections to a Department of Homeland Eugenics? Or cloning humans? Or diet control? Or uniforms? Or control of media?

I could justify all those, and much more, from a purely scientific point of view and especially if objections were on Ignore.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:37 am
VATICAN UPDATE
Quote:
Intelligent design to be topic at Vatican meeting
(By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press, February 10, 2009)

The Vatican will include discussion of intelligent design in a conference marking the 150th anniversary of Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species," officials said Tuesday.

The announcement reverses a decision to exclude such discussion but officials said intelligent design would be treated only as a cultural phenomenon " not as science or theology.

Organizers of the March 3-7 conference did not explain at a news conference Tuesday why they had decided to include discussion of the view that life is too complex to have developed through evolution alone, and that a higher power has had a hand in changes among species over time.

"The committee agreed to consider ID as a phenomenon of an ideological and cultural nature, thus worthy of a historic examination, but certainly not to be discussed on scientific, philosophical or theological grounds," said Saverio Forestiero, a conference organizer and professor of zoology at the University of Rome.

The Vatican under Benedict has been trying to stress its belief that there is no incompatibility between faith and reason, and the evolution conference is supposed to be a key demonstration of that.

Church teaching holds that Catholicism and evolutionary theory are not necessarily at odds. But the Vatican's position became somewhat confused in recent years, in part because of a 2005 New York Times op-ed piece penned by a close collaborator of Pope Benedict XVI, Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn.

In the piece, Schoenborn seemed to back intelligent design and dismissed a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis." Schoenborn said the late pope's statement was "rather vague and unimportant."

Vatican officials later made clear they didn't believe intelligent design was science and that teaching it alongside evolutionary theory in school classrooms only created confusion.

The conference is being hosted by Rome's Pontifical Gregorian University, along with the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Culture and the University of Notre Dame in the U.S. state of Indiana.
Shirakawasuna

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Obviously. That is why the social consequences argument is all that really matters. So it is very surprising that ros such spout this generality when he and his ilk have done nothing but run away from discussing the social consequences of doing away with irrational delusions and leaving everybody at the mercy of science and its determined severities when under the control of the scientific establishment.

Run away from it? I remember asking you to make a coherent, cogent argument on that subject and you failing dismally, going off on tangents and confusing assertion for argument.

Dream on, spendius.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:37 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

VATICAN UPDATE
Quote:
Intelligent design to be topic at Vatican meeting
(By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press, February 10, 2009)

The announcement reverses a decision to exclude such discussion but officials said intelligent design would be treated only as a cultural phenomenon " not as science or theology.

ID is a cultural phenomenon, one which I believe is ultimately damaging to religion. It'll be interesting to see the Vatican's point of view.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:45 pm
The thing about the Vactin's recent meetings concerning science is that they remind me of Templeton Foundation-style sheltering. They only invite those who already agree with them and they make a big noise about the meetings, which makes it sound a lot more like propaganda than a half-reasonable synthesis of ideas on the topic.

I also have yet to see an example of faith and reason being cited as compatible where there wasn't a deep problem somewhere, often where "compatible" is synonymous with reason taking a back seat (presuppositionalism).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:55 pm
@Shirakawasuna,
Quote:
Run away from it? I remember asking you to make a coherent, cogent argument on that subject and you failing dismally, going off on tangents and confusing assertion for argument.

Show me. Anybody can make stuff like that up. Are you relying on that worn out old dodge of relying on unintelligent people being influenced by the last thing they read and thus thinking I actually did fail to make a cogent, coherent argument and instead went off at a tangent confusing assertion for argument which is precisely what you have just done.

And if I did make a cogent and coherent argument you would just declare it a dismal failure if it didn't fit in with what you think is cogent and coherent.

If you don't think these anti-IDers have been running away from arguments relating to social consequences you must not be able to see straight.

They've run away from me now. Why don't you follow suit?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
@spendius,
spendi, You're playing on dangerous ground here; most of your posts ends up quotes from the classics that often times has no relevance to the topic being discussed. On the subject of "cogent and coherent argument," most of us who have had discussions with you know that you have been guilty of not meeting your own standards.

It's only my observation, but from all the challenges of other a2kers to your posts/opinions, I feel confident that I am correct. No need to define what you mean by "intelligence." We already know.
spendius

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bullshit. Another load of self serving circularities. The only thing I know about intelligence is that you lot missed out when it was spread around. I have never defined intelligence and I don't know why you think I might need to.

A few of my posts contain quotes. Nowhere near most. Not 10%. Most of wande's quotes are from asswipes. 90 odd %. And when I do quote they are always relevant. Maybe you just don't understand why.

Give me an example of where you think I've been guilty of what you say. Only lynch mobs declare guilt without evidence.

You couldn't have a discussion with a gatepost.
Muarck

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@wandeljw,
I really want to know what the big deal is? I was raised believing in creationism and switched to believing the world evolved. So, yes, I understand both points of view very, very well.

But who really cares? So the kids aren't believing in evolution. Give them their space. Maybe they want to believe in God, or maybe a perpetual universe, or that humans are a civilization seeded by aliens. It's their right and possibly it's even a need. We believe what gives us comfort. Seriously, give them space.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:45 pm
@spendius,
spendi's Post: # 3,395,178

Quote:
Re: wandeljw (Post 3395079)
wande wrote-

Quote:

There are some people who want to discuss sociological issues with you on the ID thread.

It is very difficult to imagine anybody quite so stupid as to think what is taught in schools is not a sociological issue. It isn't anything else.

It is the very reason you lot are scared of introducing into schools the brave martyrs who pioneered at great risk the very positions you now take in your nice armchairs. I mean, of course, the Marquis de Sade, Julien Offroy de La Mettrie and Wilhelm Reich whose works went way beyond the infantile claptrap you lot put out.

Explain to me wande why your push to bring pure scientific thinking into schools does not begin with these men. You are even scared of Germaine Greer. Without them, and others of lesser importance, you would be hauled off to the magistrates.

You ought to have framed pictures of them on your walls.

Please try not to indulge in trying to determine the education of 50 million kids without having done even your basic homework.

spendi, Why "those" men? What relevance do "they" have to the current issues being fought in our courts? "...hauled off to the magistrates?" This is nonsense.

FYI, wandel posts those articles that has "relevance" to this topic, and keeps us updated on which states are looking at this issue. It's far more informative the than garbage you post on most threads that provides nothing but garbled opinions that has no foundation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:51 pm
@Muarck,
Muarck wrote:

I really want to know what the big deal is? I was raised believing in creationism and switched to believing the world evolved. So, yes, I understand both points of view very, very well.

But who really cares? So the kids aren't believing in evolution. Give them their space. Maybe they want to believe in God, or maybe a perpetual universe, or that humans are a civilization seeded by aliens. It's their right and possibly it's even a need. We believe what gives us comfort. Seriously, give them space.

What people (kids) choose to believe isn't the issue for most of us. The issue is religious incursion into public science classes. It's a First Amendment issue primarily, and an educational issue second.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm
@rosborne979,
Muarck seems to miss the point that when children are taught something while they cannot discern the difference between science and creationism, they will grow up believing that creationism is fact. That's the reason we have so many adults today who believe in creationism over science; it's too late for them.

Also, creationism is religion and rightfully belongs in a philosophy or religion class, not science.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:42 am
@Muarck,
The kiddies can believe whatever they want. This discussion has been focused principally upon what should be taught in SCIENCE curricula, Specifically biology. They are allowed no "space" in the curriculum outlines. We require a certain proficiency in the subject , demonstrated by attainment of certain grade levels in tests. Their "belief" system has nothing to do with anything.

If we teach geography and the kids want to believe the earth is flat, so much the pity. Hiwever, geography will not waste any time on bringing flat earth garbage into the course syllabus. What you and several others wish , is to burden the existing curriculum with some of the past thinking. We already do acknowledge that the sciences have developed from sequences of ideas that led to the modern syntheses , as well as several dead ends of myth based learning that , as soon as evidence xountered, was sent to the ash b in .
Teaching the historic perspective is entirely different than teaching as if the concepts of , say, phlogiston, flat earth, or Creation were true becasue that would be, scientifically, a lie. None of the above have a smot of evidence in support and that just wont due when we are trying to teach fact , testability and predictability.

Whatever the kids do once they leave the classrooms is not governed by any thought police. They are free to believe in any myth they wish. From the news, its obvious that some kiddies do. Witness the appearance of "Vampire cults" where kids get their canid teeth ground to points and get long pointy dental appliances so they look like Bela Lugosi. Then they go around sucking each others blood in the wacked out belief that they are , somehow, sharing in the bodily strength of others.

However, no math proofs exist yet.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@farmerman,
I think we should introduce a Bill to protect the academic freedom of geology teachers to mention alternative theories such as flat-earth. As it stands now, geology teachers who talk about flat-earth are ridiculed. How fair is that? All they are doing is mentioning an alternative theory. Clearly something must be done about academic freedom in geology classes.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
Quote:
Creationism Left Out of Science Education for Valid Reasons
(By Richard B. Katskee, U. S. News and World Report, February 10, 2009)

Should we teach creationism in public-school science classes? Of course we should"if we want to violate the Constitution, dumb down our students, and make our nation an international laughingstock.

The creationists won't admit it, but the debate is over, and they lost. Every time creationism has been brought into public schools, the courts have found it unconstitutional. It doesn't matter what label is used""creation science," "intelligent design" (ID), or "the theory of abrupt appearance""all are cut from the same unconstitutional cloth.

Ironically, creationists keep evolving. First they tried to ban the teaching of evolution outright. The Supreme Court struck down those attempts in 1968. Then creationists tried to mandate the teaching of "creation science" alongside evolution, in what were called "balanced treatment" laws. The Supreme Court rejected that ploy in 1987.

More recently, creationists tried to teach "intelligent design" in the public schools of Dover, Pa. I was one of the attorneys who represented the parent-plaintiffs in that case. We were gratified when U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III sent intelligent-design creationism packing in 2005.

"We have been presented," wrote Jones, "with a wealth of evidence which reveals that the District's purpose was to advance creationism, an inherently religious view, both by introducing it directly under the label ID and by disparaging the scientific theory of evolution, so that creationism would gain credence by default as the only apparent alternative to evolution...."

No matter how they try or what they call their ideas, creationists can't get over this hurdle: They want the Bible to be treated like a science book. Creationist efforts fail in court because creationism begins with a series of set-in-stone conclusions anchored in a fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible, and then cherry picks "facts" to back up that religious view. Anything that doesn't fit the scenario is tossed. Call that what you will; but it isn't science.

Real science begins with a question and looks for the answer wherever it may be found. It isn't about dogma; it's about open inquiry. Unlike creationists, real scientists aren't afraid to change their hypothesis if the facts don't support it.

Unable to win in the law courts, creationists these days tend to pitch their case to the court of public opinion. One of their chief arguments is that evolution is anti-God and offensive to religion.

That argument is persuasive only to those who don't know about all the faith communities and religious leaders who long ago made their peace with Charles Darwin. Voices for Evolution, a publication of the National Center for Science Education, contains an entire list. Among them are the late Pope John Paul II and current Pope Benedict XVI, both of whom have endorsed evolution heartily; and they are hardly anti-faith fanatics.

Another argument that creationists employ is a misguided appeal to fairness. Why can't we teach both evolution and creationism, they ask, and let the students decide?

One reason we can't do that is because creationism is religion, not science. Introducing it into the public schools under any guise is a violation of the separation of church and state. Tempering it with some instruction about evolution does not change that simple fact.

But there is also a larger concern: We do our young people no favors when we pretend that there are controversies in science, when in fact there aren't. Evolution is accepted by the overwhelming majority of biologists in this nation. In other developed countries, creationism is considered a bad joke that scientists don't take seriously.

Major advances in medicine, biology, and the study of human origins hinge on evolution. Understanding evolution is thus becoming more important than ever as we look to biotech industries and medical breakthroughs to combat disease and improve our quality of life. Failure to teach evolution properly leaves our children ill-equipped to contribute to this bright future; it is a form of educational malpractice.

Public colleges don't teach creationism; they teach evolution. Exposing our children to discredited, pseudo-scientific ideas in the name of "fairness" is nonsensical. There's a reason why every time a creationism bill is proposed in a state, college professors line up to oppose it: They don't want to have to spend time, money, and effort on remedial education for their students in Biology I.

"Equal time" does not apply when the scales are so uneven. When we teach about the Holocaust, we don't give the deniers equal time. When the germ theory of disease is taught, those who believe that sickness is punishment from God aren't given a platform.

The fact is, creationists have had many decades to put forth scientific evidence for their claims and to publish it in peer-reviewed journals. They have been unable to do so. The reason that their ideas have been expelled from the classroom is not a vast conspiracy or rampant hostility toward religion; it's that those ideas lack scientific value.

What's especially sad about this debate is that it is unnecessary. Lots of devoutly religious people accept evolution, seeing it as part of God's plan. We have learned through bitter experience (think Galileo) that when science and religion are forced to fight, neither side wins. That's because these two concepts aren't enemies and weren't meant to fight. Indeed, we all do better when religion and science work as partners to help us understand, interpret, and appreciate our world and humanity's place in it.