Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 01:59 pm
@High Seas,
The adventurous type eh? I knew that feminism was no good. It almost offed one of our more delightful contributors to this thread who could perhaps learn to write a bit with a little effort put into what writing is all about.

One has to imagine how Laurence Stern would have told such a tale. What he would have done with the "black thing, stretching out forever" doesn't bear thinking about because there's no way to think up what it might have been. It only exists once he, his unique self, gets it onto his page in the intervals of the tittering.

But I must agree that a lack of self-abasement is not a normal characteristic of the female sex.

I think actually it was the dolphins who came up to see if you was a dolphine. A dolphine in distress, as indeed you seem to have been. I don't know what a psychiatrist would make of you calling up Poseidon from all that pantheon at your disposal. What was up with Aphrodite? Or the Nereids. The Sirens would be no use because they patrol their own patch and would disapprove of you being so far from your's.

You should write it up with more patience.

You're not suggesting that Poseidon actually sent the dolphins to save you are you?

Some Rider Haggard stuff on natives looking scared.
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 02:43 pm
@High Seas,
The present (new) Yemeni HQ for terror training and AlQaeda seems to have plenty of forensic evidence that theyve not considered. The new applications of PETN as an explosive of choice is easily trackeable by chemical ressdue.
High Seas

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
@farmerman,
Who hasn't yet considered the Dubai crash? The families of the 2 dead UPS pilots, Captain Doug Lampe of Louisville, KY, (48) and First Officer Matthew Bell of Stanford, FL (38), as well as the entire pilot community - and lots of others! - would wish for some speedier consideration.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
. The new applications of PETN as an explosive of choice is easily trackeable by chemical ressdue.

Maybe--for now. But human ingenuity will soon find a way of avoiding that if it is a serious problem. In fact human ingenuity seems to have the capacity to surmount a great number of difficulties if it is sufficiently motivated. The motivation is the main factor. If it exists human ingenuity will breach all the tracking you can think up no matter how clever and testosteronic.

They learn as we learn and are more motivated. And have surprise on their side.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:16 pm
@spendius,
Human ingenuity is being handicapped by the conservatives in our country; they don't want stem cell research, and believe homosexuals learn their sexual preference. They also kill and harm abortion doctors.
High Seas

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:18 pm
@spendius,
Yo, Spendius - what did you expect, Madame de RĂȘnal writing a 500-page letter to her confessor? This is the internet, and if you don't like my prose, stick to Stendhal's. Besides - what little I know is math-related, so it's a miracle I can even string a few words in proper sequence Smile
High Seas

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone - since when do you speak for all conservatives? Glad to see you switched camps, btw, but that's a surprise Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:22 pm
@High Seas,
HS, That's really rhetorical; can you name me one liberal who's against stem cell research, discriminates against gays and lesbians, and kills abortion doctors?

My siblings are conservatives, but they only discriminate against homosexuals - even though they love them as humans.
High Seas

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Always glad to see you Cicerone. Stem-cell researchers, pro- + anti- abortionists, homosexuals, et al, post on other threads though Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
HS, That's really rhetorical; can you name me one liberal who's against stem cell research, discriminates against gays and lesbians, and kills abortion doctors?

Well that's circular ci. You define liberal to be somebody who is not against scr, who doesn't dagals and doesn't kads. You define life as only starting in the nth week or thereabouts. On some midnight clock tick having guessed the start point. On behalf of yourself of course.

And the number who kill abortion doctors is a much smaller number than your other two categories and should not be confused with them. And you don't say what sort of scr nor what the discrimination consists of. Picking homosexuals out for special treatment is a form of discrimination. When do concessions to minorities stop before you allow that they are no longer discriminated against?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:19 pm
@High Seas,
But I do like your prose HS. I think you can do much more than just string a sentence together. Do you think I would have taken the trouble to hint how you might improve your prose so that your internet readers can enjoy your posts even more than they do now. If you get up on the stage you are supposed to kick your legs up occasionally.

It was a great subject.

I can handle your sneers. They are water off a duck's back. I know everything there is to know about evolution which isn't saying much is it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:19 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
They learn as we learn and are more motivated. And have surprise on their side.
As a "chemist" , what do you think is the most utilized element in explosives (non nuclear?)
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know fm. I'm way out of date on the matter. I've even forgotten what it used to be but it's molecules with high energy bonds. Unless you mean "element" literally and then I suppose oxygen is the answer.

When I think I used to analyse the stuff it just goes to show what boozing, gambling, making money and women can do to a man's memory.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
the conservatives....... they don't want .....they believe..... They also kill and harm
I can only hope you keep your shades drawn during the day. THEY are out to get you arent they ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:17 pm
@farmerman,
A military man should heed the advice of Laurence Sterne fm

Quote:
he must be acquainted in-
timately with every country and its boun-
daries where his profession carries him ;
he should know every town and city,
and village and hamlet, with the canals,
the roads, and hollow ways which lead up
to them ; there is not a river or a rivu-
let he passes, Trim, but he should be
able at first sight to tell thee what is its
name -- in what mountains it takes its
rise -- what is its course -- how far it is na-
vigable -- where fordable -- where not ; he
should know the fertility of every val-
ley, as well as the hind who ploughs it ;
and be able to describe, or, if it is re-
quired, to give thee an exact map of all
the plains and defiles, the forts, the ac-
clivities, the woods and morasses, thro'
and by which his army is to march ;
he should know their produce, their plants,
their minerals, their waters, their ani-
mals, their seasons, their climates, their
heats and cold, their inhabitants, their
customs, their language, their policy,
and even their religion.

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:31 pm
@spendius,
Sounds just like hes the model of a modern major general.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:13 am
UK UPDATE
Quote:
Secular society warns against 'intelligent design' in Scottish schools
(Trevor Grundy, Ecumenical News International, November 2, 2010)

Britain's National Secular Society has warned against undermining the teaching of evolution in Scottish schools after the setting up in Glasgow of a centre on "intelligent design", the idea that the universe is the result of a creative mind.

"The Scottish educational establishment needs to set up safeguards, similar to those which already exist in England and Wales, to ensure that creationism doesn't get into science lessons and create confusion in children's minds," said Terry Sanderson, president of the secular society, which says it promotes the rights of atheists, agnostics and other non-believers.

Sanderson was speaking after the opening in September of Glasgow's Centre for Intelligent Design. Its president is Norman Nevin, emeritus professor of medical genetics at Queen's University in Belfast, and its vice-president is Dr David Galloway, the vice president of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.

The centre states that intelligent design is the belief that "the natural and living worlds show clear signs of being designed and are not the result of blind, purposeless forces". Opponents of the theory assert that it is really a new version of biblically-based creationism, although the centre rejects this assertion.

Publicly-funded schools in England and Wales were told by the government in 2006 that material distributed to educational establishments advocating "intelligent design" should not be used in the teaching of science.

Sanderson told ENInews that the secular society does not object to creationism being discussed in religious education lessons, while noting, "If you're talking about what the various religions believe, that's part of their teachings so there's no avoiding it. But as far as science is concerned, we don't need that kind of confusion."

The intelligent design centre's director, Alastair Noble, said the centre had not been established to target schools.

"We don't have specific resources for schools, although there is one text available examining the case for and against neo-Darwinism that we can make available to high schools and colleges, if they wish to have it," said Noble, an education officer with CARE, an agency that campaigns for Christian perspectives across a range of public policy issues.

"We're about giving visibility to an argument that needs to be heard and which is shouted down before anyone gets an opportunity to hear what it is," Noble said in an interview with ENInews.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:38 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw's source wrote:
"We're about giving visibility to an argument that needs to be heard and which is shouted down before anyone gets an opportunity to hear what it is," Noble said in an interview with ENInews.

Oh yeah . . . those poor Christians. It's terrible how persecuted they are.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:48 am
@wandeljw,
Would anybody prefer to be president of the secular society to being the emeritus professor of medical genetics at Queen's University in Belfast, or the vice president of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
@spendius,
What world do you live in?