Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:07 am
Quote:
National Science Standards draft released
(Josh Rosenau, ScienceBlogs.com, July 12, 2010)

A draft of the Standards Framework for national science standards, sponsored by the National Governors Association and the US Chamber of Commerce (among others), has been published. The National Research Council drafted the framework, and is seeking comment until August 2, and I'll have more to say as I work through the draft. Forty-eight states (excluding Texas and Alaska) have agreed to use these standards, so getting them right is important. Good national standards will prevent a host of problems, while bad ones would create colossal problems.

Perhaps the most crucial thing to examine is how the standards define science and present the nature of science. If we get that right, and give teachers good training in teaching the nature of science, it'll go a long way towards heading off creationism, global warming denial, etc. And the draft does a solid job:
"The committee’s vision of science is captured by the view that science is:
--A creative and analytic human intellectual endeavor engaging hundreds of thousands of people worldwide to attain shared goals of understanding the material world and application of that understanding to solving real-world problems.
--A cumulative and evolving body of knowledge formalized into a rigorously-tested and mutually consistent set of clearly articulated theories.
--A set of practices for investigation, model and hypothesis development, theory building, argumentation, analysis, and communication of findings about the material world that support development of new understanding.
--A set of cross-cutting concepts and strategies that inform work in all disciplinary areas of the natural sciences."

Not exactly how I'd phrase everything, but the gist is right. This emphasizes that science is a thing you do, first and foremost. The repetition of "material world" is important, as it emphasizes science's limitation to natural phenomena, and that science class is not a place for discussing religion. That said, referring to it as "material" rather than "natural" or "empirical" makes me think someone on the writing is a fan of Madonna's ontological claim that "we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl."
wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:15 am
A pdf copy of the Science Standards draft can be found here:
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Standards_Framework_Preliminary_Public_Draft.pdf

A survey for public feedback on the science standards will be on this website in a few days:
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Standards_Framework_Public_Draft_Cover_Letter.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:35 am
@wandeljw,
The committee's view sounds a little vague. Do they have any scientists on that committee? Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:14 am
@wandeljw,
Science is the disinterested exercise, even playful, of natural curiosity. Children are experts at it.

The writers of the standards are not disinterested and their curiosity seems to be limited to what they call "shared goals". The application of scientific knowledge is technology.

When The Spectator reviewed Madonna's famous book "SEX" their reviewer asked the question--"Where's the pussy?" It was called a coffee table book and it obviously contained coffee-table materialism.

Some wit, on noticing the number of photographs of pussies on sale in every high street of the land, speculated that soon half the female population would have been featured in this regard.

Madonna's prudish, one might say nun-like, attitude ought to be enough to make any scientific materialist wary of quoting her fatuities. Ones who do are obviously not up to speed.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
Quote:
God and Darwin: still fighting after 85 years
(Brad Hirschfield, The Washington Post, July 14, 2010)

Eighty-five years ago this week, John Scopes was hauled into a Tennessee court, and accused of violating the state's Butler Act, which made it illegal to teach evolution. So much and so little have changed since then, but one thing remains the exact same: God and Darwin are still fighting after all these years, at least in the hearts and minds of millions of Americans.

So, if the fight hasn't changed, what has? Well, for one thing, the balance of power has shifted. Eighty-five years ago, it was Mr. Scopes that was in court fighting for the right to include Darwinian evolutionary theory in his school's science curriculum. Now it is biblical literalists who are bringing the suits in a system which accepts science as the norm.

Without minimizing the very real challenges presented by people who would give faith-driven claims an equal place in our science classrooms as those claims which are in fact scientific, the balance of power on this issue has really changed. That fact should encourage no less vigilance in defense of science books, not the Bible, being the text in our biology, earth science and human origins classes. But it should encourage a more open and gentle approach to those with whom we disagree.

Those with the most power should always be a little gentler with those who have less. However annoying and even dangerous some biblical literalists may be, they are the little guys in this fight. We should not be surprised that biblical literalists are so aggressive. That's what the little guy has to do. This doesn't get them a free pass, but it might help us to move this conversation from one which generates a great deal of heat to one which actually generates some light.

Personally, I find the fight unnecessary. For me there is no inherent contradiction between faith in the Bible and trust in the best available science. But I know that for many people that is just not so. They insist that it is either science or faith which must win out - that the two are irreconcilably incompatible. And it is those people who have made sure that God and Darwin are still punching it out in our courts and in the media.

But one need not believe that faith and science, even the Genesis story and Darwin, are entirely compatible to know that thrashing each other is not going to get us to any meaningful and lasting solution to this deeply divisive issue. That we are still fighting after 85 years is clearly proof of that.

We need to shift from a conflict-driven approach to a conversational approach on this and most other socially divisive issues. In a conflict, someone must lose for things to be resolved. In a conversation everyone needs to be engaged for it to be successful. The adversarial process of litigation demands a winner and a loser, so each time we try and resolve this debate through legal wrangling, we actually guarantee further fights - fights which serve nobody well but angry ideologues and expensive lawyers.

Instead of trying to win, each side should begin asking what it might learn from those on the other side of the issue. And each side should address what the limitations of its perspective are. Science and faith may both have a place in good education, including good public education, but they are not the same thing.

No matter how much people call it "Intelligent Design" or anything else, while it may be appropriate to teach non-science driven explanations for the origin of the universe, faith arguments shouldn't be confused with the science driven ones. The difference between them is not that one is right and one is wrong. The difference is far more fundamental.

Faith-connected science confirms again and again that which it already believes. The science model however, seeks to falsify what it already believes as a way of pushing science forward. Science celebrates discovering its errors as much as its accuracies. That is hardly true for the faith driven accounts of the origins of our universe and species. That difference alone is, while both may have a place in our curricula, they do not belong in the same course.

Why should there be a place for both? Because they address different issues. Science wrestles with "How" things come to be. Religious approaches are concerned with "Why" things come to be. Both are important questions, but it is important to know that they are different questions. When either tries to masquerade as the other, it does a disservice to both.

So after 85 years of squabbling in which all that has changed is which side has more power, perhaps it's time to stop litigating and start talking about both the how and the why of human origins. Both are fundamental to good education. We don't need to hide from either question, as much as we need to learn the rightful place of each them and a respectful approach to the many answers that will hopefully be offered in response.
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:57 am
@wandeljw,
We'll have to hope that anti-IDers on here take some notice of that. Expecting them to apologise for some of the things they have blurted out is perhaps too much to ask but they might try from now on to engage in a conversation about this important matter.

The difficulty with the article is that it is in the abstract again. It needs to address the problem of the thousands of teachers who will be involved in the practicalities, routine ones, of adhering to this--

Quote:
Science and faith may both have a place in good education, including good public education, but they are not the same thing.

The determined enthusiasts to make the most of licence to teach evolution theory in order to push a left-wing or even Marxist agenda will have to mix in the staff rooms and in the communities with those on the other end of the spectrum. This is easily possible to imagine sat at a desk in the offices of the Washington Post but I'm not so sure it is in the corridors and staff rooms of a school with administrators and boards trying to hold the ring.

And once again the writer has moved from evolution to science as if they are equal terms. When arguments for science are used as arguments for evolution there is a deviousness going on which seeks to portray those who are against teaching evolution as being anti-science when that is not the case at all.

And come to think of it, Mr Hirschfield's failure to address the grass roots conditions in the schools in order that there are no impediments to his high-sounding flights of fantasy does rather question his fitness to address us all on scientific questions although I will admit that he has fulfilled his word quota to fit between the adverts so efficiently that I doubt one drop of sweat appeared on his brow which is not something you could say about the farmers and steelworkers whose kids he is having a well paid ride on.

It might be a good idea if he was made aware that there are plenty of people, and good people too, who don't give two fucks about him being more open and gentle and particulary so after being patronised in that fashion.

What about me being on Ignore wande? Do you approve of that? And if you do you should not be quoting articles which talk about "conversation" and if you don't it is about time you said so.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What about me being on Ignore wande? Do you approve of that? And if you do you should not be quoting articles which talk about "conversation" and if you don't it is about time you said so.

It was heartbreaking for me to learn that some have you on ignore, spendi. I need more time to compose myself.
William

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:44 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Hi Neologist!

In my opinion, evolution teaching is being hurt by what's going on OUTSIDE the classroom.

Hello wandeljw and I do agree that teaching is being assaulted with good reason too. There is no way anyone can know all that is involved in this universe's evolution, so how can anyone teach it?

William

spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:09 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
It was heartbreaking for me to learn that some have you on ignore, spendi. I need more time to compose myself.

Your witty sarcasm does not answer the question wande. It answers other questions relating to yourself though.

You quoted a plea for conversation between the parties. Not me. When have I turned my head away as ros does and fm has done from time to time. Who was the plea aimed at? Only declared aetheists have boasted about having me on ignore. You don't need to have majored in domestic science to come up with a reasonable hypothesis based on that fact. It is that atheists only do conversations which don't bother them. And those are not real conversations. And they are anathema to education and to science.

As we suspected all along--you only do peer-reviewing with your peers or, as we say in England, you're all pissing in the same pot.

You seem to have got to the point that anything your lot do is okay despite it being the opposite of what you posted about.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@William,
Quote:
There is no way anyone can know all that is involved in this universe's evolution, so how can anyone teach it?

They don't even try Will. They teach those bits of it that Mr Comstock would have let go. Out of the thousands of teachers there are bound to be some who might go all the way. History teaches that there are always some who will push at the boundaries. It pays.

Did you know that if you took centre-folds from men's magazine from when they started in the early 70s to where they are now and flipped through them at high speed, like those kids games with stick figures that the movies were invented from using technology, the kids having done the science, you would see a female opening her legs to show the world her flange. It took about 20 years to evolve as the limits were pushed so gradually that the authorities were going cross-eyed on adjudicating on where a flange stopped and where it started.

It's happening again on those "Come on boys--give me a call" late night programmes that we have about 20 channels of. Viewer's Wives is the best if you're into mature chubbies.

A militant lesbian here , and you should steer round that sort, did a sex lesson here for 11 year olds with a banana and a milkbottle. The letter all the parents received to offer them an opt-out for their little monsters had not mentioned that sort of thing.

These lot on here think of schools like you think of Siberia. It enables them to talk about them fluently you see.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
@William,
William wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Hi Neologist!

In my opinion, evolution teaching is being hurt by what's going on OUTSIDE the classroom.

Hello wandeljw and I do agree that teaching is being assaulted with good reason too. There is no way anyone can know all that is involved in this universe's evolution, so how can anyone teach it?

William

The same way we teach about the atomic model and the solar model. We explain that both are works in progress but with what information we have so far we can model a great deal. It's only with a firm understanding of where we are that new models will appear for any of these.

A brief history of how the atomic model has been conceptualized over the years shows a great deal of development, and the atomic scientists of today still don't claim what we have is perfect, only that what we have now allows for us to recreated fission and fusion.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:46 pm
This is the sort of thing fa means Will--

Quote:
World's biggest atom smasher gains pace: CERN

(AFP) – Jun 28, 2010

GENEVA — The world's biggest atom smasher is swiftly gaining pace as scientists seek to unravel the secrets of the universe, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said on Monday.

The Large Hadron Collider has been setting records for the intensity of proton collisions since scientists started firing beams of the sub-atomic particles at unprecedented energy levels on March 30, CERN spokesman James Gillies said.

"It's about CERN breaking its own records," he told AFP on Monday.

"We had one good run over the weekend when we were getting double the data sets that we had since the beginning," Gillies added.

"You'll keep on hearing this but we've got a long way to go."

The beams thrust around the 27-kilometre (16.8-mile) accelerator collide at nearly the speed of light, creating powerful but microscopic bursts of energy that mimic conditions close to the Big Bang that created the universe.

Scientists around the world are expected to take years to analyse the huge flow of data on a giant computer network, searching for evidence of a theorised missing link called the Higgs Boson, commonly called the "God Particle".

The experiment is still in the early stages of an initial 18- to 24-month run of billions of collisions.

Gillies said the "luminosity" of the beams -- a measure of their intensity and the frequency of collisions -- had been ramped up to 10 to the power 29, compared with 10 to the power 27 nearly three months ago.

Ten to the power 30 is scheduled for this week with a target of 10 to the power 34.

Scientists carefully examine each increase for safety and the reliability of the accelerator in a ring-shaped tunnel straddling the French-Swiss border near Geneva.

"Every time we increase the luminosity it comes with increased energy," said Gillies.

CERN hailed a new era for science when it began smashing atoms at energy levels of seven trillion (tera) electronvolts (TeV) on March 30.

It is aiming to trigger collisions at twice the energy, 14 TeV, equivalent to 99.99 percent of the speed of light, in the cryogenically-cooled machine after 2011.

At full power, the detectors in cathedral-sized underground chambers should capture some 600 million collisions every second among trillions of protons racing around the collider 11,245 times a second.

Which is 600 million times 300 captures while a horse with a 12 stone jockey jumps round Aintree. If you go to the pub it gets ridiculous. But it's only "should" so that might make a difference.

I liked this drollery-

""You'll keep on hearing this but we've got a long way to go."[/quote].

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
Quote:
Its mystery is its life. We must not let in daylight upon magic.

Walter Bagehot. Social scientist.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:53 pm
@failures art,
William should understand that all we teach re evolution is only that which has been sufficiently evidenced and tested or falsified (Witness the methodology by which the location for Tiktallik was chosen).
We try not to make these huge leaps of myth and legend. Thats for the divinity school.
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:06 pm
@farmerman,
It's a good school fm.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We try not to make these huge leaps of myth and legend. Thats for the divinity school.
Do you mean like the bottom of the oceans is dead flat ? Or everything Hawking put in his theorem on the event horizon is now wrong ? Or Global Warming is a reality ? Or Einstein was wrong about Quantum Theory ? Huge leaps of myth and legend is what science does best because the likes of you will never criticise it.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@Ionus,
youre obviously grasping at something that I said on how evolution is taught in school(comprehension was never your strong point Anus). Thats a totally different subject and now all youre doing is trying to extract some baseless point that has no connection to what I posted.

BTW What is yer point Anus?
Ionus

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:38 am
@farmerman,
Science has repeatedly been caught out. By all means teach science but not the latest fashions. It has been wrong too many times to rearrange society to cater for it. Isnt that right, Gomer ?
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:44 am
@Ionus,
Thats how science works dipshit. It self corrects and poses further revisions. Whats wrong with that?

Teaching astring theory in introductory physics would be a waste of time because its not even remotely evidenced beyond a blackboard.

Ps, why dont you just finish your bottlew of gin and pass out for the night Pvt Anus.
spendius

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 05:23 am
@Ionus,
I think Io that there's so much of science that is correct and only argued with philosophically and dilettante scientifics have got so habituated to drawing attention to themselves by spouting pompously the simpler aspects of it, which is rewarded Pavlovically by wannabee dilettante scientifics by applause, which is a different order of reward than sugar lumps, that the have come to a genuine belief than anything they have read which is couched in technical language is as correct as the obvious stuff.

That's why they offer 2+2=4 and gravity evidence, not that they know what gravity is mind you, to contradict ideas in areas which are outside that area of science which is correct. The only aspect of gravity they understand is its effects and yet they turn away from any discussion of the effects of religious instruction or from effects of the absence of it.

There's no science in any of them. What there is is aggression. Domination. And their recourse to Ignore, which it is reasonable to assume is a general characteristic applied elsewhere beside here on A2K, as a reflex, implies a careful selection of listeners who must be defined as stupid to not see through them.

Note how they have held forth on entities like Texas and Louisiana. Never on North Korea though.

They arrive at the point where they reject the science of human behaviour despite its applications being all around them just as a gravity field is.