Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I understand that JO's mother really thought he was quite handsome. Ill let the readers decide. AND he did die of gluttony, look it up, you seem to only get partially invested in things

I said food poisoning. And knock off pretending you haven't been rooting in Google. You had never heard of the guy before I mentioned his, what should be to you, hallowed name. None of you had. Now you have. I've educated you a little. They say he's the father of modern biology. And psychology. And I'll bet that your peer-reviewing biologists have never heard of him either.

You're back predicting the football result after the game has finished and you've read the reports of it. I've come across the condition many times. It goes with having an opinion of the self which is trashed and traduced to utter mush, like a cabbage at the vegetable wholesale market which has been run over by a few trucks, by biology and biology at its simplest.

Still--you've got Io. He's easy enough eh? He hasn't got into this yet has he? So you can do some more running on the spot. Like ros. Most teachers get into the habit giving the same course year after year to some new starters.

You didn't comment on the live copulation demonstration that Fox News reported had taken place in a liberal Californian classroom. Are there zones where science fears to tread? And we still await your explanation for lingerie shops and catalogues.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:14 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion but I am on my side, not your's. I am an anti-IDer if IDer means the world was created 10,000 years ago and evolution did not happen.

I know you're on your side Io. I'm not on my side. I don't have a side. I'm trying to find out what anti-IDers will do when they come to power so that I'll have a better idea where to dig my hidey-hole.

An anti-IDer is a person who thinks he can use science in order to make the sins he has committed, or anticipates committing, no longer sins and thus his guilt will be liquidated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:21 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I said food poisoning. And knock off pretending you haven't been rooting in Google. You had never heard of the guy before I mentioned his
Now you are being forgetful old girl. We had several dsicussions on him going back a few years. The first time I connfused him with the founder of the "Big Bang" theory (different spelling , same name), and you were being coy.
That was maybe 4 years ago . Ill admit that THEN, Id never heard of him. but your last entry, hardly. Youre always about spot on the same message with the same cast.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:32 pm
@farmerman,
I was lying in wait for you to develop some more of your "much speaking" about Thomas Macaulay. Since this was the first time youd been introducing him. I was wondering wjhether you were introduced to him via Desmond and Moore?
spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
No.

Macaulay gets two mentions in D & M. I've checked. One is to say he had tried the same hydropathic cure at Malvern as Darwin did in a list with Carlyle and Dickens and the other was a three word quote of his Darwin had used about an American scientist. A geologist actually. He was "d----d cocked sure". Mentioned in passing one might say.

I can speak a little about Macaulay if I try. He was a typical "Dryasdust". Much given to pompous assertions and a somewhat mechanical approach. Like Setanta only on a much higher level. And yourself now I come to think of it.

No shake, rattle and roll with the snake hips so to speak. Not as appreciative of Moroccan belly dancers as I am.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We had several dsicussions on him going back a few years.

We did not. I mentioned him from time to time and you ignored every single one. He went from "no soul" plus Descartes to Man is a Machine and then engineers started to look at man as they would a donkey engine. And here you are. Still looking. And in the wrong place.

And he didn't want to make waves. He wrote his stuff and was court jester to Freddie the Farter.

You lot should revere him. And you never heard of him. de Sade took it onwards.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:12 pm
Quote:
Calif. bill would block Texas textbook changes
(By ROBIN HINDERY, Associated Press, 05/16/2010)

SACRAMENTO, Calif."California may soon take a stand against proposed changes to social studies textbooks ordered by the Texas school board, as a way to prevent them from being incorporated in California texts.

Legislation by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, seeks to protect the nation's largest public school population from the revised social studies curriculum approved in March by the Texas Board of Education. Critics say if the changes are incorporated into textbooks, they will be historically inaccurate and dismissive of the contributions of minorities.

The Texas recommendations, which face a final vote by the Republican-dominated board on May 21, include adding language saying the country's Founding Fathers were guided by Christian principles and a new section on "the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s." That would include positive references to the Moral Majority, the National Rifle Association and the Contract with America, the congressional GOP manifesto from the 1990s.

The amendments to the state's curriculum standards also minimize Thomas Jefferson's role in world and U.S. history because he advocated the separation of church and state, and require that students learn about "the unintended consequences" of affirmative action and Title IX, the landmark federal law that bans gender discrimination in education programs and activities.

States that place the largest textbook orders have traditionally held significant sway over the materials used in American classrooms. Texas is the country's second-largest textbook buyer, behind California, which has more than 6.2 million public school students in grades K-12.

Under Yee's bill, SB1451, the California Board of Education would be required to look out for any of the Texas content as part of its standard practice of reviewing public school textbooks. The board must then report any findings to both the Legislature and the secretary of education.

The bill describes the Texas curriculum changes as "a sharp departure from widely accepted historical teachings" and "a threat to the apolitical nature of public school governance and academic content standards in California."

"While some Texas politicians may want to set their educational standards back 50 years, California should not be subject to their backward curriculum changes," Yee said. "The alterations and fallacies made by these extremist conservatives are offensive to our communities and inaccurate of our nation's diverse history."

But some publishing industry experts say worries that the Texas standards will cross state lines are unfounded.

"It's an urban myth, especially in this digital age we live in, when content can be tailored and customized for individual states and school districts," said Jay Diskey, executive director of the schools division of the Association of American Publishers.

Diskey, whose group has not taken a position on SB1451, said the California Board of Education's existing review process is so rigorous that the state "may be the last place that would end up with the Texas curriculum."

Tom Adams, director of the state Department of Education's standards and curriculum division, said the Texas standards could make their way into national editions of textbooks, but those aren't used in California.

"Our main concern is whether materials meet California's standards," he said. "There's nothing in our review process that says we should be following Texas or anything like that."

Adam Keigwin, Yee's chief of staff, acknowledged that SB1451 was "a precautionary measure" and that California's curriculum standards already are strong.

"But there are still things that could sneak their way into our textbooks, and we want to be sure. We don't want any of those changes that Texas has proposed," he said.

Three companies are responsible for about 75 percent of the country's K-12 textbooks, Diskey estimated. Representatives for two of them"Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw-Hill"on Friday referred inquiries from The Associated Press to Diskey. The third, Pearson Education Inc., did not respond to a request for comment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:14 pm
I always wondered why the other states did not stand up to the monkey business going on with texts in Texas.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
There are 20 states that require the states ed board approve the titles of textbooks used in the public and charter schools of that state. Calif and Texas are the largest but some others I know of are Alabama, Mississippi, Indiana, Louisiana. I sont know any others but I believe that they are the more conservative states with established policies of being revisionist and anti science "elitism"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 09:15 am
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 09:34 am
Well, that settles it. Alley Oop did ride a dinosaur (behemoth). Mr. Green
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're not a kid Ed. You're old enough to take what did happen without it disturbing your sleep patterns.

The more far-fetched it is the better. That way it is easy to see through when people are old enough to see through it. The thing is to get them to that stage in a contented frame of mind given their natural curiosity about these things. You being right is a very trivial matter by the side of that objective.

And it provides an exercise for their growing imaginations. One only need listen to Prof Dawkins for five minutes to see how atrophied an imagination can get.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:35 pm
@spendius,
You are totally wrong, spendi. Filling kids heads full of mush is no way to prepare them for a world that is more exacting and can be merciless. Give them tools, not Disneyland of the mind.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:38 pm
@wandeljw,
The ignorant leading the innocent.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
What about Disneyland itself Ed? And comics. And movies. And all the other illusions of the magic lanterns. The grown up ones.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:06 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The ignorant leading the innocent.

ros still running on the spot I see. There are only two words in his sentence that he isn't defining himself and they are "The" and "the".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:09 pm
@spendius,
Adults know they are illusions. Meantime you expect adults to teach kids that illusions are reality, a guide by which to live
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Adults know they are illusions.

Oh yeah! That's the biggest illusion of all.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:32 pm
@spendius,
Your arguments are the biggest illusion, dude.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're just trying to talk yourself up as an "adult" with assertions Ed. You don't want to discuss anything. You just want us all to comprehend things how you do so you don't have to worry about doubts about your own comprehension faculties.

You are depending upon Hafen Slawkenbergius' Latin translations of the Sanskrit versions of the inscrutable ineluctibilities extruded in words of easy understanding through American media productions and have arrived at the point where you believe that the TRUTH's impregnable fortress has surrendered to your intellectual capacities. Your mates on here are just the same.

That's why you keep it simple.

Why is the coconut the vegetable king of the saturated fat league and also king of the hardest to get at league? Explain that coincidence.