Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
Society appears to be giving itself cancer, by introducing evermore damag ing chemicals into the environment, by way of air, food, farming, industry - virtually everything produced.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Things are produced to satisfy demands. Demands are of two sorts. Natural and artificial. Which demands would you recommend we stop creating Ed?

Who do you blame? After all, something should be done about us giving ourselves cancer if that is what we appear to be doing.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:17 pm
@spendius,
I don't want to derail this thread by getting into that.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some might say that scientific materialism is the cause and it is followers of that philosophy who wish to teach the theory of evolution albeit in a modified form suitable for young lady biology teachers.

So I don't think you would be derailing the thread by pursuing the subject you have raised to the uttermost limits the balloon of hot air can withstand.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm
I will let wandeljw be the judge.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Pope Splendious XXX is furiously preying (sic) by his (hung over) bedside each day that the human race stops giving itself cancer.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm
@Lightwizard,
One doesn't pray for outside assistance on a thing like that. Prayer in such a case is a sort of girding of the loins in meditation to get up the strength to face the issues. Which are momentous.

Perhaps everyone should pray now and again, pissed as a coote or stone cold ******* boring sober, that the human race stops such a potentially useful evolutionary process like giving itself cancer.

It's one of the problems anti-IDers seem to have that they can't resist going into hand-wringing mode to help support their argument to teach the theory of evolution and thus disseminate it throughout society.

We can only beat cancer by having cancer and when we have we can all sit around gaga in nursing homes watching fluorescent ghosts flickering on a screen in high definition whilst being waited on hand and foot by our children who need the work to pay off the debt we have landed them with. And voting for increased funds for old folks homes. (Oh--and the college).

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I will let wandeljw be the judge.

Nothing wrong with discussing the environment, edgar. Evolution is linked to the environment. Ecosystems determine the direction of evolution.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:46 pm
@wandeljw,
And with the psychosomatic realm in play in the scientific world there is a mental environment besides a phsysical one.

It takes a mental environment to get out of bed at the crack of dawn when the hail is beating on the windows and the car is all frozen up to begin the journey to the office or the fish packing plant when the bed is just nice and toasty rather than turning over and going back to sleep as evolution has self evidently programmed us to do.

Is our ego continually at war with our evolved body? Could that affect our immune systems.

0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:53 pm
Spendi wrote:
when the bed is just nice and toasty rather than turning over and going back to sleep as evolution has self evidently programmed us to do.

I always try to agree with my hypothalamic reward system...
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:01 pm
@Francis,
But you voluntarily fly around a lot Francois. That is said to present certain risks to you biological systems. And only your ego would ever dream of even packing a suitcase or, worse, applying for a passport. Your biological systems would have no truck with the rigmarole of flapdoodle involved in shifting itself from one end of the earth to the other. It might do it if it was being chased by a bunch of fiends brandishing red hot pitchforks.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:31 pm
Spendi wrote:
That is said to present certain risks to you biological systems

One shouldn't believe "that is said".

From an evolutionary point of view, the more you are exposed to alien environments, the more you increase the chances of beneficial mutations.

In my specific case, I think that my exposure to different people in different countries led to some kind of immunisation.

As so, I'm very seldom sick..

Let alone life enlightenment from the different cultures.

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:19 pm
@Francis,
Your hypothalmic reward system does not recognise those sort of things. And you are fairly young I assume. Compared to me anyway.

Besides- I am making general points and not particular ones. That's why I used a silly example.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:28 pm
Spendi wrote:
Your hypothalmic reward system does not recognise those sort of things.

It does, Spendi, at least for the last sentence of my post.

Youth, as many other things, is in the eye of the beholder..
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:58 pm
@Francis,
Are you a contortionist Francois?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:16 am
@Francis,
Francis has those supernatural powers that transcend science and he's thinking of blowing up the false A2K Pope. NASA approved, however they are expecting the second satellite to deduce nothing by strong ale emanating from the explosion.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:27 am
Spendi wrote:
Are you a contortionist Francois?

A bit less than yourself but, yes..
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:31 am
LW wrote:
Francis has those supernatural powers that transcend science...

Yeah, but I'm mostly harmless..
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:37 am
@Francis,
To think that this thread was begun to recognize the growing influence of the late Bobbie Jindal as a potential national candidate. Seems like the Evangelical's need for national recognition has been somewaht stymied , and with it much of its controlling interests in your childrens minds.

I saw that the PA GOP caucus in the state house was reaffirming the 2001 state ed policy which is definately non sectarian and pro science. Good on ya guys.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:38 am
@farmerman,
Might I have a heartfelt BOOYAH?
0 Replies