spendius

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:13 pm
@Lightwizard,
Can't resist it can you?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:29 pm
@Lightwizard,
Easy target, shooting over my shoulder backwards and blindfolded.

I'm almost embarrassed -- well, almost.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:58 pm
@Lightwizard,
Sorry, that was redundant.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:00 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Sorry, that was redundant.

Just like everything spendi posts on this thread. Laughing
spendius

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
You do know what "redundant" means I hope Ed?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:19 am
Quote:
Kansas teachers aren't anti-evolution
(By John Richard Schrock, Opinion Essay, The Wichita Eagle, October 6, 2009)

A new survey shows Kansas secondary biology teachers have the lowest rates of creationist belief of teachers in any of the states surveyed. The survey results " presented at a September conference of the Kansas Association of Biology Teachers and due to be published in an upcoming Kansas Biology Teacher journal " verify that the general press image of Kansas being backward on evolution is completely opposite of the facts.

The percentage of biology teachers from different states who thought that creation has a valid scientific foundation were: Kentucky teachers, 69 percent; Oklahoma, 48 percent; South Dakota, 39 percent; Ohio, 38 percent; Illinois, 30 percent; Georgia, 30 percent; Louisiana, 29 percent; and Kansas, 24 percent.

Creationist belief that contradicts science may actually be substantially lower than these percentages suggest. In a 1991 survey, 85 percent of Kansas biology teachers said they thought "the modern theory of evolution has a valid scientific foundation." But 25 percent also indicated that they thought "creationism has a valid scientific foundation."

After that survey, I chatted with teachers in the field. Some explained that they marked both answers because they were not literalist and saw 3.5 billion years of evolution as no problem. But they did believe in a supernatural creation of the universe in the beginning and, in some cases, a supernatural instilling of the soul on the evolutionary route from ape-men to humans. In neither case would their beliefs interfere with teaching modern evolutionary biology.

The 2009 study showed similar overlap. Of those who believe creationism has a valid scientific foundation, half do not think creationism should be taught in public schools.

A big divide remains between small rural schools and larger Kansas schools. Today, 36 percent of biology teachers at small rural schools (fewer than 100 students) are creationist, while this drops to 15 percent in schools with 100 to 399 students. Rural teachers are more likely to be trained in biology as a "second field" and are less likely to pursue an advanced degree, as they have to teach across many disciplines. Other research finds that small rural Kansas schools are more subject to influence from a few local personalities, while larger schools can pay more attention to state and national standards.

Some media perpetuate the perception that science and religion are not compatible. But most Christian denominations have no difficulty with evolution. In 1998, Molleen Matsumura in the National Center for Science Education Reports found that "of Americans in the 12 largest Christian denominations, 89.6 percent belong to churches that support evolution education."

Hard-core opposition to evolution among Kansas biology teachers is probably about 6 percent, dramatically lower than for any other state surveyed.

Sadly, that will not stop late-night talk shows from portraying Kansans as anti-evolution hayseeds.
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:35 am
@wandeljw,
The unspoken assumption in that wande is that we wish to live according to "valid scientific" foundations. Which we don't.

The only valid scientific foundations in play in this discussion are those useful for berating and discrediting the Christian religion on behalf of certain interest groups.

When it comes to the valid scientific foundations of effects in the psychosomatic realm they don't want to know. They cannot afford to allow that mental states interfere with the workings of the body.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:59 am
@wandeljw,
"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:44 am
@Lightwizard,
Were we in Kansas? "A new survey" doesn't take me to Kansas.

I saw a programme about Charles Darwin, your guru and mentor, in which an evolutionary psychologist who had a monkey's brain in a jar on his bookshelves began a fantastic sentence about the immense importance of his research with the words "we have reason to believe". Dr Steven Pinker was his name.

The programme addressed its audience with the sort of hushed reverence and condescending flapdoodle one associates with priests visiting the sick in hospitals.
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
@spendius,
The padding in the programme was almost criminal. Mainly walking shots of Dr Dawkins in various free trip locations. The funniest was the door sequence which got him into Dr Pinker's inner sactum.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:50 am
Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
- Dan Barker
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:06 am
The numbers are appallingly high (and i include the 24% for Kansas) for teachers of biology. Even those who "believe in" evolution, but who plump for creation as the cosmic origin display a deplorable confusion about what they are teaching. Evolutionary theory is mute on the subject of cosmic origins. I can only assume that the questionnaire used is badly flawed itself.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:12 am
@Setanta,
What questionnaire devised by an anonymous committee isn't badly flawed? It would take more than twenty questions on religious and scientific viewpoints not merely on whether one is convinced of biological evolution or not, or whether one is a Deists or not. The flaws in polls are not in those taking polls but the pollsters themselves.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:18 am
@Setanta,
Set must mean that the post of wande's was a load of bullshit.

And if the questionnaire was "badly flawed" it must mean that those who composed it are badly flawed or having a jape. And by extension those who allow it any credibilty likewise.

We certainly were not in Kansas. An office in Kansas possibly.

I liked "plump" though. "Deplorable" is redundant because confusion is automatically deplorable.

I suppose, if Set is correct, that a root and branch reform of Kansas education is urgently required.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:12 am
NOVA broadcast a new bio on Darwin, "Darwin's Darkest Hour" on PBS -- it was our LA KCET station last night an I recorded it but haven't watched it as some friends are coming over who missed it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/darwin/
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:20 am
@Lightwizard,
It was ok . It tried to jam as many factoids as it could. I however, fell asleep at the last half hour and did not have the VDR on. I suppose that it will be shown ad nauseum during the celebration of the end of "Darwin Year" or some pledge drive, whichever is more appropriate to our local PBS.

Im getting quite annoyed at the "eternal fund raising" that seems to have captured the business planns of many PBS's on the East Coast.

Theyve almost gone to monthly begfests i which they usually play these creepy "New Age" health shows.

Sorry to break the chain but PBS, like Niagara Falls is starting to piss me off.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
They seldom run anything like that for a fund drive -- it's a BBC TV movie and I could look up the Nielsen but I'm guessing it's nothing against the PBS shows that are obviously aimed at getting viewers. NOVA does have a loyal audience but their productions are not cheap to air. It's the same for the At the Met series -- you'll never see an opera repeated for a fund raiser. It's almost always a live concert of pop music or Andrea Bocelli, which is also really pop music.

Our Orange County PBS station has been floundering, trying to compete with one of the largest stations, KCET LA and has a lot of fund raising broadcasts.

It have last night's Darwin film on my DVR, so I'll likely watch it over the weekend during the day. I did check in before I went to bed and caught a couple of scenes in the middle of the film and it looked very impressive.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I however, fell asleep at the last half hour and did not have the VDR on.

Indolence and incompetence on duty.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
Quote:
Evolutionary Struggle With Cancer is Focus of Public Lecture at UC Riverside
(UC Riverside Press Release, October 8, 2009)

RIVERSIDE, Calif. " Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide. Our evolutionary struggle with this disease is the focus of a free, public lecture at UC Riverside.

Population geneticist Leonard Nunney will give the hour-long lecture, titled “The Battle Within: Our Evolutionary Struggle With Cancer,” at 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 15, in the University Theatre. Doors open at 6 p.m. Seating is open.

“Cancer is unlike other diseases,” said Nunney, a professor of biology at the University of California, Riverside, whose research focuses on the experimental and theoretical basis of evolution, including the evolution of protection against cancer. “The damaging effects of cancer are not caused by the typical disease-causing organisms that attack our bodies. Instead they are caused by renegade cells from our own body. But these cells are part of us. How then can cancer happen?

“The problem is that our bodies are large complex societies of many billions of cells, and it only takes the programming of a single cell to go wrong to initiate cancer. We usually survive these daunting odds because we have evolved mechanisms to suppress such errors. To answer why natural selection has not gotten rid of cancer, we first need to understand both the power and the limitations of evolution by natural selection.”

Nunney’s talk is being hosted by the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and the Science Circle, a group of university and community members committed to advancing science at UCR and in Inland Southern California.

Nunney obtained his Ph.D. in genetics from the University of Nottingham, the United Kingdom. He joined UCR’s Department of Biology in 1980 after teaching at the University of Edinburgh and completing a postdoctoral appointment at Princeton University. He is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

He has published many research papers in international peer-reviewed scientific journals on evolution and its application to real life problems. These applications include the conservation of endangered species, the control of agricultural pests and pathogens, and understanding the origins of cancer.

Currently, Nunney is working on a genomic study of Xylella fastidiosa, a plant pathogen causing Pierce’s disease of grape, the disease that severely threatened winegrowing in Temecula, Calif. He also is involved in several studies in conservation genetics, including a study of the extent to which major roads split healthy populations into small vulnerable units that lack the genetic variability to adapt to new challenges such as disease and climate change.

Nunney’s lecture is the first of three lectures in the series “The Science of Evolution II: Applying Evolutionary Ideas.” The remaining two lectures, “Born to Run: Evolution of Hyperactivity in Mice” and “The Silent Majority: How Symbiotic Bacteria Evolve to Help and Hurt,” are scheduled for Oct. 29 and Nov. 12, respectively.

The lecture series, which aims to boost the public’s awareness and understanding of how science works and break down some of the misunderstandings about what scientists do, follows an earlier series of lectures on evolution held this year at UCR.
0 Replies