Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

wandeljw

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:44 am
UPDATE ON TEACHER SUED FOR ANTI-CREATIONISM REMARKS
Quote:
Teacher not financially liable for disparaging Christians in class
(By SCOTT MARTINDALE, The Orange County Register, September 16, 2009)

SANTA ANA " A federal judge has ruled that high school history teacher James Corbett is not financially liable for disparaging Christians in class, in violation of a former student's First Amendment rights.

U.S. District Judge James Selna had issued a tentative ruling last month indicating he would effectively bar 17-year-old Chad Farnan of Mission Viejo from recovering any monetary damages or legal fees in the nearly 2-year-old case, but did not make that ruling final until Tuesday.

"Corbett is shielded from liability " not because he did not violate the Constitution, but because of the balance which must be struck to allow public officials to perform their duties," Selna said in a 33-page decision issued from his Santa Ana courtroom.

In May, Selna determined that Corbett, 62, violated the First Amendment's establishment clause when he referred to Creationism as "religious, superstitious nonsense" during a fall 2007 lecture at Mission Viejo's Capistrano Valley High School.

But the judge on Tuesday shielded Corbett from financial liability under a "qualified immunity" defense, a form of federal protection available to government employees who have violated an individual's constitutional rights.

"Given that qualified immunity protects all but the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law, and given the lack of parallel case law, the court finds that the right at issue was not clearly established when Corbett made the (Creationism) statement," Selna said in his ruling.

In a statement released Tuesday, Corbett said Farnan's lawsuit was "needless and pointless" and that it had "sewn discord" in his life and ruined his reputation.

"In my opinion, Chad Farnan has been ill-served in this case," Corbett said in the statement.

"He may find admission to a quality non-Christian school challenging, because such institutions may try to avoid a student who has sued his teacher and his school without making any pre-lawsuit effort to discuss, much less resolve, his claims outside of court," Corbett continued. "The school district has been ill-served because they have been forced to pay for a defense attorney in a case that, in my opinion, never should have been filed in the first place."

Farnan's attorneys, who were working on the case on a pro-bono basis through a nonprofit Christian legal group, vowed to appeal the judge's decision.

"We feel the judge erred in his ruling," said attorney Jennifer Monk of Murrietta-based Advocates for Faith & Freedom. "At the same time, we are happy with the May 1 ruling and it doesn't not take away from the fact that Dr. Corbett violated the establishment clause."

In his lawsuit, Farnan did not seek monetary damages, but he asked that his former Advanced Placement European history teacher be fired or that the court issue an injunction barring Corbett from disparaging religion in class.

Selna ruled against issuing such an injunction; Corbett remains in his teaching position at Capistrano Valley High.

At a hearing two weeks ago, Monk argued that if the judge granted qualified immunity to Corbett, he would be effectively barring her client from appealing the case because Farnan would have to appeal the immunity defense for an appeals court to even consider the merits of the case itself " a scenario she characterized as insurmountable and prejudicial to her client.

But Monk said Tuesday that she would file an appeal with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals within 30 days.

"No battle on the Ninth Circuit is easy," she said.

Corbett made his "superstitious nonsense" remark about Creationism during a class discussion about a 1993 court case in which former Capistrano Valley High science teacher John Peloza sued the Capistrano Unified School District, challenging its requirement that Peloza teach evolution.

Corbett's attorney said the teacher was simply expressing his personal opinion that Peloza shouldn't have presented religious views to students. But Selna, after reviewing an audiotape of the discussion made by Farnan, decided Corbett crossed a legal line.

The legal battle began in December 2007, when Farnan, then a sophomore, sued Corbett and the school district, accusing his former teacher of repeatedly promoting hostility toward Christians in class and advocating "irreligion over religion" in violation of the First Amendment's establishment clause.

The establishment clause prohibits the government from making any law "respecting an establishment of religion" and has been interpreted by U.S. courts to also prohibit government employees from displaying religious hostility.

Selna threw out all of the quotes attributed to Corbett except the Creationism comment, and that became the basis of the judge's high-profile May 1 decision against Corbett.

"When Judge Selna last ruled, he found me not liable on 21 of 22 counts," Corbett said in an e-mail Tuesday. "At that time, Robert Tyler, general counsel of the Advocates for Faith & Freedom, said he viewed the decision as a complete victory. Today I'm happy to correct Mr. Tyler " a 'complete' victory is winning on 22 of 22 counts."
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 09:38 am
@wandeljw,
He may have to limp into any college registration after shooting himself in the foot.

"Mildly obsessed"- what a ridiculous oxymoron from the Poop Mobile. (Forgive him, as the bullet proof glass is always steamed up from master baiting and he can't see out).
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 09:47 am
@Lightwizard,
You're just jealous LW because you can't steam the windows up.

He "sees out" more than any other person on earth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 09:53 am
@wandeljw,
Protection afforded by a technical position wont endure in my opinion. Having broken the establishment clauses strictures is a thing that cuts both ways, so now this Corbett dude , because he has a big mouth, will start a new train of counter charges wherein teachers felt that they were protecting science from the onslaught of the Bible Thumpers.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
Did I detect an allusion that the Pope Splendious has a choir boy under the chair in the Pope-Mobile? Shame.
I wonder if the real Pope would understand his "steaming up the windows" on the inside? Besides, trolls fill up it up with methane gas -- anybody got a match?

We don't need any advocates for atheism in the science community and, by-and-large, we don't have them. There are tons of advocates in the religious community, however, that are banging the not-so-distant drum that science should be ****-canned. Certain IDiots and Creationuts have the impression that all atheists are scientists? A Deist is not an atheist but I suppose there are tight-assed purist who believe that. It's a question of whether science has to be protected from the Bible Thumpers, or do the Thumpers inevitably have to actually understand science (they don't have a clue). Are there partially obsessed traditionalists subscribing to the almost pregnant delusions because science in itself is a threat to their faith?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
science in itself is a threat to their faith?

Bingo. The entire issue is control of their assembled masses.

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
It's a paranoia permeating social groups who do and do not actually practice their faith. A lot of it is ambivalence towards science, or math, or history, or anything that basically baffled them through their (so-called) education. Buffoon Bush went through Harvard Business College and didn't learn a ******* thing, obviously even about business. I suspect even the C average was bought and paid for.

His is not an isolated case -- too many people I know or have known socially or in business interaction have had an education just to qualify for a career with an incomplete knowledge of anything else. Too many follow the Peter Principal to the top of the business or political world.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:22 pm
@Lightwizard,
Bush also has the distinction of making the state of Texas go broke, his businesses go broke, and the federal government go broke. Not only that, but many of those Harvard MBAs are the ones who dreamed up all of those bank and finance company derivatives that they created to make money out of nothing. They get big bucks for screwing up our economy and country, because they have their degree from Harvard.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The entire issue is control of their assembled masses.

I should hope so too. What are uncontrolled masses like effemm?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:45 pm
@spendius,
They are called DEMOCRATS
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:50 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
A lot of it is ambivalence towards science, or math, or history, or anything that basically baffled them through their (so-called) education.

Which is A2K code for LW not having being baffled by science, maths or history which I must say is a remarkable claim. So remarkable as to make it highly probable that LW knows nothing worth knowing about any of the subjects he mentions.

Why don't you pose for Charles Atlas ads in your briefs LW. It must be good money. And it doesn't look hard work.

Shouldn't you be running for office? It's your duty.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you saying ci. that Harvard is an institution which trains people to pauperise the US?

Shouldn't you be bombing it with drones?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:04 pm
Let's see, A average through high school (my Mom kept the report cards -- I could care less) on those subjects, 3.75 grade average in university on those subjects despite taking up most of my time on art history, drawing, painting, commercial art design, and on and on. Your pathetic guessing is ludicrously poor and only designed to troll.

Besides the ten books in your library, what other studies have you had on these subjects?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:43 am
LOUISIANA UPDATE
Quote:
Procedure crafted for handling evolution-materials complaints
(By WILL SENTELL, Baton Rouge Advocate, September 17, 2009)

The state’s top school board Wednesday approved procedures for residents who object to materials that challenge the teaching of evolution in public school science classes.

The rules, which were praised by evolution critics, stem from a law approved last year by the Legislature.

Backers say the law is needed to give science teachers more freedom to challenge traditional theories, including Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Critics contend the measure, called the Louisiana Science Education Act, is aimed at injecting religious themes into public schools.

The statute allows science teachers to use supplemental materials, in addition to state-issued textbooks, to teach evolution and other topics.

“What’s left hanging are the procedures when a complaint is raised,” said Scott Norton, assistant state superintendent for student and school performance.

The department recommended that any complaints undergo an initial review by a three-member panel named by the agency, then go to the state board for a final decision.

But Dale Bayard, of Sulphur, chairman of the committee that tackled the issue, changed that and the committee went along.

Under Bayard’s change, two reviewers will be named by the department to review the science materials in question as well as one reviewer each named by the challenger, the school and the publisher.

The five-member panel will determine whether the materials:
Promote any religious doctrine, which is banned by the state law;
Are scientifically sound;
Are appropriate for the grade.

Bayard’s committee approved the complaint process without arguments.

Since other board members were there too, committee approval on Wednesday is tantamount to endorsement by the full state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, which is expected today.

Gene Mills, president of the Louisiana Family Forum Action, praised the rules and said Bayard’s plan was better than the department’s recommendation.

“Arguably this is the closest thing that would mimic due process,” Mills said in a telephone interview after the meeting. “That seems equitable to me.”

The Louisiana Family Forum, a key backer of the law, says it promotes traditional values.

No one criticized the proposed process for handling complaints.

Barbara Forrest of Holden, a professor and co-founder of the LA Coalition for Science, said in a telephone interview after the meeting that she was not aware that a committee of the state board was discussing the issue on Wednesday.

Forrest, who has criticized the law, called Bayard a point man for the Louisiana Family Forum.

Earlier this year, the state board approved policies that govern the law.

One says that materials used in science classrooms “shall not promote any religious doctrine, promote discrimination for or against a particular set of religious beliefs or promote discrimination for or against religion or non-religion.”

Under the rules approved Wednesday, people bothered by materials in a science classroom could file a complaint with the state Department of Education.

A hearing would then be set where each side could tell its story. Reviewers, who are supposed to be experts, can ask questions.

The five reviewers would file reports on whether the materials violate the rules. The department can also make a recommendation.

The state board would then make a final decision.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:00 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

LOUISIANA UPDATE
Quote:
Procedure crafted for handling evolution-materials complaints
(By WILL SENTELL, Baton Rouge Advocate, September 17, 2009)

Backers say the law is needed to give science teachers more freedom to challenge traditional theories, including Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Science teachers are supposed to be teaching science, not challenging basic science facts.

I don't want my kid learning how the Earth "might be flat" instead of learning about plate tectonics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:17 am
Any science teacher in public education worth their snuff knows they are not scientist (although there are professors in high education who are) and especially not biological or anthropoligical scientists. They have literally no tools to be challenging any scientific theories, especially evolution which is backed up by tons of emperical evidence. There's more question about how our own moon was formed, or the rings around Saturn than evolution. This is exactly falling into that advocacy I wrote about earlier.

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
ci was following up on my post about Harvard Business College, not Harvard University. My we do have some dumbells on this forum.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@Lightwizard,
I loved "tons" LW. It's so, so---how shall I say--scientific. "Emperical" was good too. I think "literally" is redundant. No tools takes care of the complete absence of them. Padding we don't need.

Quote:
There's more question about how our own moon was formed, or the rings around Saturn than evolution.

Unfortunately, for your case, how the moon and Saturn's rings were formed has no relevance to rumpy-pumpy and other controversial issues. When you can say that about evolution theory we will be happy to study your incisive and brilliant conclusion although I rather think we might still find it a bit wide of the mark.

Any similarities between the simple, mechanical formation of those objects and evolution theory would render the fuss over teaching the latter incomprehensible.

The existence of this thread is empirical evidence that your comparison is absurd. Do you think wande would be continually regaling us with long quotes from various sources relating to the formation of the moon and Saturn's rings.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:42 pm
@Lightwizard,
ci. referred to "Harvard" and I didn't presume to assume which one he meant. The question remains. A Business College can be bombed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:53 pm
@Lightwizard,
The research in unravelling evolution is to determine "How, and When"..Its not that cut and dried. We still have some pretty wide chasms of knowledge.

In effect, Were designing an airplane without knowing how heavier than air flight is accomplished