Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
I used to respect a university degree.
I thought a university degree gave a person a distinction of having higher intellect or at the very least being educated by people with...Now, I'm not so sure. Or maybe I should just reconsider my opinion based on US universities. Does this university teach hairdressing too?
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
How far south do I have to move???

Thank you for assuming that all Southerners are hicks, religious fanatics and ignoramuses. I'm sure they would be gratified to know that.

Bigot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:32 pm
@Ceili,
It's a religious' university in the state of Washington (I believe).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 02:12 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Does this university teach hairdressing too?

I should hope so. Rendering the female sex into a presentable state for public appearances is a very important part of our culture and a very high degree of expertise requiring years of intensive training is necessary to accomplish such a task.

We don't wish to have recourse to the hijab (which is the Arabic word for "curtain").
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:17 pm
Set.. before you blow a gasket. I'm only a few hundred miles north of this university. I can look at a map too. That was my point precisely, you don't have to go to far into the states before bullshit schools are found, in other words - the south doesn't have the lock hold on stupidity.
Spendius - you're an idiot. Do you really think your high trained hairdressers have been educated in a university setting. You have universities that offer degrees in Beauty Culture. Wow. If so... your schools are even more pathetic than this article lets on.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:28 pm
@Ceili,
I thought they were located in the state of Washington, but La Sierra College is located in Riverside, CA, and was founded in 1922.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:33 pm
@Ceili,
We used to laugh in our academic world when we heard that American universities had degrees in golf. Oh--30 or more years ago.

Now Americans design and build most of the world's golf courses for fees which would make the eyes of an innocent like you water.

I once taught organic chemistry in a university and I was asked to introduce a class of up and coming hairdressers to the elementary scientific aspects of their trade. It really was very interesting and three of the better lookers persuaded me to let them practice on my head on one of my afternoons off.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:42 pm
spendi...
Great, I'm sure they all graduated summa cum laude.

Golf - great now you're going to compare a good haircut with architecture, engineering, design, water management, etc...
If I were a university graduate from the States, I'd be pissed that my
educational accomplishments were sullied by the University graduates from an Institution that teaches mud and dirt create worms. But hey, defend them all you want. It's your degree.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:53 pm
@Ceili,
I'm not defending them kid. I'm just telling it how it is. They can do cake decoration for all I care. Universities today are clip joints. A sort of vast elaboration on Test Your IQ franchises.

Have you seen Shane Warne's haircut?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:21 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, I'm sure you've seen that lovely Macleans' annual guide to universities in Canada on the newstands. There's a reason it's so popular. You can't compare one university's degrees straight out to another university's degrees. It gets even more complicated when you try to compare U.S. universities to Canadian universities. They can be quite different critters.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
There are universities in Ireland to which a £20 cheque will get you a stylish certificate in any subject you specify.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
I dont think ceile is hip about the requirements of accreditation. If a college seeks accred... it must pass a minimum level of faculty and dept skills and curricula maintenance. If Liberty University wishes to teach "Biblical Geology" with Floods and other crap, they dont get accredited.(Which is the case for Liberty and several other of the Looney religious colleges). They ARE accredited in subjects that dont require their apologetics to interfere with reality.

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:57 pm
I've read that issue over the years but I thought in order to have university credentials a school must reach a certain level, I'm just kind of shocked a school can make up it's own criteria. Shouldn't there be a standard? The Mclean's magazine rates everything from cafeterias up. Important things to know, but I'd bet no accredited Canadian university would entertain creationism as a bona fide SCIENCE course.Why would any business hire a graduates with a substandard knowledge of the facts? or a degree not based on proven theories?
But maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on a system that seems rotten.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:58 pm
@farmerman,
What farmerman said; colleges must be accredited to pass muster. Without the accreditation, any student attending any unaccredited college cannot transfer their credits to an accredited college to attain their degree.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 06:04 pm
Farmer...
I understand accreditation, but biology. Come on, even in Timbuktu, biology is biology. I would assume, in order to get accreditation you would need to teach Biology, the Science not Science Fiction. Or can anyone set up a school and call what every palaver they sell an education and give a degree? Just curious.
What is the point of having a university system if it schleps out student with a meaningless piece of paper?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 06:04 pm
Aside from profit?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@Ceili,
How do you know that their degrees are "meaningless?"
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 06:14 pm
What good is an education based on a fairly tale. Would you hire a graduate to work in lab who didn't understand the basics of Biology?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 07:34 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, You assume too much! No matter what one specializes in, the degree only is a ticket to get them in the door. Performance is what counts; not the degree.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:49 pm
I certainly wouldn't compare a degree and accreditation from a Seventh Day Adventist run university with, say, MIT, or even USC.