Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:04 pm
@wandeljw,
That, wande, was one of your special loads of tripe which had been hauled across the Sahara Desert in July on the backs of some very awkward mules.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:48 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

UK UPDATE
Quote:
Evangelical course that treats Nessie as fact endorsed by government agency
(By: Michael Shaw, Times Educational Supplement, July 31, 2009)

The courses are based around the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme, which originated in Texas in the 1970s.

Apparently Texas is now corrupting the UK.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:56 pm
@rosborne979,
ros, We all know what the corrupting influence is in all this promotion of religion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 08:07 am
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.
- Upton Sinclair
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:23 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Apparently Texas is now corrupting the UK.

Blimey---Imagine America corrupting the UK. That's out of order. I'll write to the Prime Minister and warn him.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:25 am
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.
- Upton Sinclair

OK LW. What's your job?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:52 am
@spendius,
His moniker is the hint on what he does.
panzade

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 06:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He's a projectionist at a theater?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:55 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

- Upton Sinclair

that is a really good quote.
panzade

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 08:38 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
yeah, wizard is always good for quotes.

Nice to see you back dtom
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:03 pm
@panzade,
No, he's a lighting wizard. Does consulting.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:26 am
TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
ACLU expresses concern over creationism in schools
(Ben Wermund, The Daily Texan, August 3, 2009)

With a battle brewing over the Texas State Board of Education’s potential to emphasize the importance of the Bible and the Christian faith in American history classes, American Civil Liberties Union members are expressing deep concern.

“On every single front, Texas is the least progressive state I’ve ever lived in and the biggest issue I see here is this insidious business of slipping it into the schools where we have vulnerable minds and peer pressure to boot,” said ACLU member Russell La Claire. “I am deeply concerned about that.”

The Texas affiliate of the ACLU held their annual meeting Saturday, focusing on religious freedom in Texas in light of recent changes made to the science curriculum by the board of education, as well as potential social studies changes.

In March, the board voted to allow creationist revisions of science course material, by altering language in the curriculum that indicated the “sufficiency and insufficiency” of evolutionist theories. The ACLU testified against the measure.

“It’s the climate in Texas that makes us very interested in [religion],” said Dotty Griffith, the ACLU of Texas’ public education director. “We are always against any initiative of government-imposed religion. We’re all in favor of teaching about religion, but we are not in favor of proselytizing or promoting one religion over another.”

Griffith said she is sure the ACLU will also testify against the potential social studies changes.

Last month, the board appointed six experts to review the social studies curriculum.

Three of the appointed reviewers suggested the emphasis on Christianity. One of them, David Barton, is a former vice chair of the state Republican Party and founder of WallBuilders, a group that promotes Christianity in American history; another is the Rev. Peter Marshall; and the third is Daniel Dreisbach, a professor of public affairs at American University.

Terri Burke, ACLU Texas director, said the experts are questionable.

“Our biggest concern, frankly, is the process by which they make these determinations,” Burke said. “Where do these experts come from? Who are these experts? Somebody who has been the co-chair of the state Republican Party is, in my opinion, not an expert on history.”

Susan Herman, the ACLU national president, assured members in her keynote speech Saturday that Texas is not the only state in the U.S. concerning the union.

“As I’ve been meeting people over the last couple days, with typical Texas pride, people have been telling me that you have the worst civil liberties violations in Texas,” Herman said. “But you have some competition.”

She listed a series of cases the ACLU has taken on in states ranging from Arkansas to Michigan and said that, even with the election of President Barack Obama, the ACLU still has work to do.

“Can the ACLU close up shop? Maybe put a nice banner across the door saying ‘Mission Accomplished,’” Herman asked as the audience that erupted in laughter and negative shouts. “We need the ACLU to keep pushing.”
rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:22 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

TEXAS UPDATE
Quote:
ACLU expresses concern over creationism in schools
(Ben Wermund, The Daily Texan, August 3, 2009)

“It’s the climate in Texas that makes us very interested in [religion],” said Dotty Griffith, the ACLU of Texas’ public education director. “We are always against any initiative of government-imposed religion. We’re all in favor of teaching about religion, but we are not in favor of proselytizing or promoting one religion over another.”

A very reasonable stance.

Quote:
“Our biggest concern, frankly, is the process by which they make these determinations,” Burke said. “Where do these experts come from? Who are these experts? Somebody who has been the co-chair of the state Republican Party is, in my opinion, not an expert on history.”

These are good questions even in a more general nature. Just how is the veracity of any information determined? We need to be able to rely on the credibility of our higher learning centers and the degrees they assign. At present, only science as a profession has some measurement of veracity built into the process. Almost every other subject (such as history and sociology) have subjective measurements of veracity.

Creationists are pushing to have various degree programs accepted in major universities. They have generally failed to get these accepted in the sciences and medicine (thank god), but the same may not be assumed for other disciplines.

There is a larger problem evolving here in which the sheer volume of information now available in our society is making it more difficult to determine veracity simply by availability. In the past there was a cost to the production and distribution of information, so only the more potent information exceeded the cost of production, but that natural barrier is breaking down.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:12 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne wrote:
There is a larger problem evolving here in which the sheer volume of information now available in our society is making it more difficult to determine veracity simply by availability. In the past there was a cost to the production and distribution of information, so only the more potent information exceeded the cost of production, but that natural barrier is breaking down.

This truly is the larger problem. One way to defend against this is to read a variety of sources before deciding on any issue. It is also important to be aware of writing that misleads instead of instructs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:15 am
@wandeljw,
The biggest problem is that readership of all written media are decreasing while tv and the internet takes over. It's the natural course of dumbing down the population.

Even the tv anchors and people who are responsible for interviewing are not doing a good job. They are patsies compared to some of the best we used to have. All the good ones are gone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:46 pm
@wandeljw,
There was an article in Sundy Wash Post about the snatching of original content by websites like GAWKER, and then charging ad space for merely cutting and pasting.

The Post writer did an investigative article, which took her about 4 days of research, interview, and writing and editing. The Aforementioned website merely glommed the article , failed to cite the original, and merely made a link to the POST's website in which the article appears somewhere.

The original author said that the GAWKER site got it wrong but that didnt matter to them at all.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
There was an article in Sundy Wash Post about the snatching of original content by websites like GAWKER, and then charging ad space for merely cutting and pasting.

It's a brave new world (of thievery and marketing).
spendius

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:46 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It's a brave new world (of thievery and marketing).

Which is the precise reason for reinforcing the moral values of Christianity.

I have told you lot all along that these matters covered a wider area than just biology.

You are arguing for a dramatic cultural transformation and none of you are prepared to look at it and, I suspect, couldn't handle it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 06:23 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
It is also important to be aware of writing that misleads instead of instructs.

Why is this not misleading-

Quote:
“On every single front, Texas is the least progressive state I’ve ever lived in and the biggest issue I see here is this insidious business of slipping it into the schools where we have vulnerable minds and peer pressure to boot,” said ACLU member Russell La Claire. “I am deeply concerned about that.”
?

There is no justification offered.

Why is this not misleading-

Quote:
We’re all in favor of teaching about religion, but we are not in favor of proselytizing or promoting one religion over another.”

What is the ACLU position on universal health care?

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 06:32 am
@panzade,
Quote:
He's a projectionist at a theater?

Surely not?? Films proselytize.

c.i. wrote-

Quote:
It's the natural course of dumbing down the population.

Are we to assume you're not dumbed down and it's just the population.