What is freedom to YOU?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

To me, freedom means being able to make a living anywhere in the world where I want to be. The "land of the free" is the land where I choose to be. Freedom means being able to decide what my daily schedule will be. What does freedom mean to you?

http://media.tumblr.com/5KIJKAm7G8by4rem1epgL46H_500.jpg

Freedom is the lack of constraint or restraint. How it is manifested is another matter. Some have argued that although that is "negative freedom" (or "freedom from") there is also positive freedom (freedom to). For instance, the freedom to have a job, the freedom to have health care, and so on. (I wonder why the answer to the question, "What is freedom to you?" would be interesting? Suppose I replied that freedom to me was raping every pretty woman I see. That might show a pathology on my part, but not say much about freedom.
0 Replies

shadowdarkness

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:15 am
@reicat,
Aand when i think of freedom
i think that anyone would allow me to be
ME
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 07:49 am
I am a rational anarchist which means I believe that anarchy could work for individuals but never for a society. Freedom is understanding that all action (and inaction) is based on choice. I find that the hardest concept for most people to grasp when it comes to "freedom" is that every action has a consequence. People seem to think freedom means a lack of negative consequence to your choices but all of the beneficial consequences are acceptable. I find that people who use the words "That's not fair" tend to be the ones who suffer from this the most.

I don't like to think of things in terms like "fair" because all things occur based on your choices. It is true that sometimes consequences are more severe than we had initially predicted but "fair" has nothing to do with it.

EXAMPLE:
If you go to the mall and someone hands you $1,000,000,000.00 because they are having a bad day and they want to make someone else happy, most people would not get angry. Most people would take the money and be happy. Alternately, if you go to the mall and someone shoots you in the face because they are having a bad day and want someone to suffer with them, most people would be angry and talk about how unfair it is.

Both are equally extreme consequences of the choice to go to the mall.
Freedom was the choice to go to the mall.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:54 am
I had freedom once. I think it was May 23rd, 1992.

Since then I have acquired too many responsibilities to lead what I would consider a bit of freedom. I am no longer able free to travel, free to speak my mind, free to chase women, free to drink to excess, free to move around, free to do much of anything really. I may as well be locked away considering the actual freedom I experience every day.

Oh sure, I get to have small moments of freedom periodically, which way will I drive to work today? Which channel will I watch? Where should we eat dinner? What clothes do I want to wear today?

But this limited freedom is no where near the ideals I would like. Responsibility takes away freedom.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 11:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Freedom is wearing no pants.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:43 am

FREEDOM is the absence of constraint or restraint,
as poster kennethamy has pointed out.

David
imans

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
absence of smthg is to nonexistence so it cant define what freedom is when freedom is what exist as constant reference and subjective superior stand to all

the problem here is ur insitence to define freedom from smthg else while it is the opposite of freedom fact
freedom by definition is what exist without any relation to else positively or negatively
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
FREEDOM is the absence of constraint or restraint

Freedom is a relative term.
What if you were so unrestrained by gravity that you were at the mercy of the wind? The absence of that particular restraint wouldn't increase your freedom to go where you wanted.
Constraints and restraints enable freedom as much as they limit it.
imans

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:55 am
@Cyracuz,
u associate freedom to its objective result perceived by what is not free, as a move out of everything allowed

that result is not absolute result of freedom objectively, freedom result in objective terms is mostly the opposite the constant stand still bc fine as a subjective reality

it shows how all ur definitions are wrong to what is already existing as concept clarity of words, u never accept to use anything but for urselves use
freedom as a word cant mean ur will to move like u want

when u mean smthing relatively like ur dimension needs or wills, then u have to accept first to justify the superior dimension of it being existing before meaning to stand as a right of

if ur needs must b fullfilled then it is u that must prove being out of needs not that creating freedom concept could fullfill anything u want
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:27 pm
@imans,
I am sorry, but I couldn't make any sense of that post.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
FREEDOM is the absence of constraint or restraint

Freedom is a relative term.
What if you were so unrestrained by gravity that you were at the mercy of the wind? The absence of that particular restraint wouldn't increase your freedom to go where you wanted.
Constraints and restraints enable freedom as much as they limit it.

I see what you did there, equivocating "freedom" with "freedom". Cute. Smile
imans

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:06 pm
@Ding an Sich,
which is already know by the world of freedom limits being others freedom as well

everything is clear but everyone use everything relatively to its own self needs

so again this is the obvious problem that i see here
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:08 pm
I believe I'm experiencing freedom now, and have for many decades.

Most of what I do have been from personal choice.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 12:51 am
Freedom is ....... Nothing .......and doesn't exist.
0 Replies