The 2008 Democrat Convention

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
@H2O MAN,
Don't you understand, that you aren't an unknown quantity, troll?

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Don't you understand, that you aren't an unknown quantity, troll?

CYCLOTROLL, are you attempting to share some wisdom?

You failed once again --- Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
@Miller,
For anyone that cares what one conservative McCain voter thought, if you care:

Interesting, all Dems or libs are gushing today about how genuine, how real, what a great marriage, what a family, type of stuff. I think Dems are so gratified to get rid of the Clintons, they are acting like they just discovered a somewhat functional family to vote into the whitehouse. I guess they haven't discovered George and Laura Bush?

I find the Obamas, as people, as likable, just sad they are pushing an agenda far different than what I believe is good for the country. Michelle talked about hard work, getting up every morning, loving her husband, loving her children, hey, I love that. That is America, I thought, and I am glad the Democratic Party is buying into that for now, for political purposes. Of course, we also know the theme was scripted and staged to give that impression, so do we really know just how genuine it was? I think fairly genuine in that regard. Of all the people on stage, I liked Michelle's brother the best, seemed like a good guy, and authentic.

Another observation, the Dems keep looking for something to emulate the Republicans on, to emphasize, that won't cost them the election. They have tried the military hero angle, with Kerry driving into Boston on the boat, and saluting. That didn't work. Now its the functional family image. After all, the Bush family has had an advantage there, so now the Dems are going to emphasize that. I find it humorous all the gushing pundits talking about this and how admirable it is, when its a Democrat, but when it is the Bush family they don't care, and when the Clintons were around, personal character, marriages, and all of that was their private life. The media is so transparently biased, it isn't even funny.

One thing sure, all of this family, feel good stuff, does not prove the Obama's are not political, political, political, and that is what we should vote for. There were a couple of statements in her speech that sort of revealed her anger and animosity toward this country that she has verbalized before, and betrayed the feel good stuff, but you had to be listening well to catch it.

And funny she didn't mention her 300 grand job at the hospital in reference to health care? I admit, I like her spunk, I like her better than Cindy McCain, but McCain is the only option I have left.
okie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Good post, bluevein.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
It was a good first day. I don't buy for a second Carville's Concern-trolling about having 'wasted' the day by not attacking more. C'mon. That dried-up old scrotum is the last person you should turn to for analysis about anything having to do with the Dems.

Michelle Obama's speech was good, the part with the kids was great, Ted Kennedy was great. It's good to open on a positive note. I think that today you'll see a difference.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It was a good first day. I don't buy for a second Carville's Concern-trolling about having 'wasted' the day by not attacking more. C'mon. That dried-up old scrotum is the last person you should turn to for analysis about anything having to do with the Dems.

Sozlet saw him and said "wow, he looks evil." I said yeah, he used to be an evil genius. She said "used to be?" and I said "now he's more evil, less genius." Wink
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@okie,
Quote:
There were a couple of statements in her speech that sort of revealed her anger and animosity toward this country that she has verbalized before, and betrayed the feel good stuff, but you had to be listening well to catch it.

Could you point them out, these statements? I must have missed them...
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@old europe,
That's because you didn't listen carefully enough.

If you find a recording and play it backwards, it's there...
old europe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
@sozobe,
<grins>
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
C'mon Cyclotroll, you have to admit that is was a lousy day for the Democrats.
Sure they painted a nice little picture, but it had no substance - none at all.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@H2O MAN,
Agree to a point. The video was very effective...but the format of the night was weak. I think those in charge should have interpersed soft sell with hard sell, keeping in mind when TV viewers are routinely changing channels... I also thought I'd suggest to you to try not to be completely driven by partisanship during your conversation. Try to look at the convention with a bit more objectivity. I know you aren't the only partisan here...but I don't want to avoid comments from one of the rare non-Dems here...The reflexive put downs (from anyone) have started to wear on me. I bet you have some intriguing observations.
okie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:08 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Uhhh, you are turning on your own monsters your party created, cyclops.

My theory, I haven't heard Rush yet today to see if he has the same take, but often he follows with the same logical perception. I think the kids were given a couple things to say, such as where are you daddy, and I love you daddy. Some people are calling me dumb for suggesting it, but it was a totally staged affair from beginning to end, and I think the grownups fed the comments to the kids, here is what you can say when daddy talks to us after the speech. I would bet on it, we probably won't ever know. Not that it matters, I would also tell the kids a couple of things that they could say, but I wouldn't claim it was all impromptu, I doubt it very seriously. Not a big issue, but it all is disappointing when people are so gullible as to believe any of this was not scripted.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:08 am
Carville: Dems wasting first night
Posted: 09:00 AM ET
Carville says the Democrats are hiding the party's message.
Carville says the Democrats are hiding the party's message.

(CNN) " Have the Democrats wasted the first night of the convention?

Yes, says Democratic Strategist and CNN contributor James Carville.

Speaking on CNN, Carville said the party was too soft in its attacks on John McCain Monday night " the same mistake, Carville says, Democrats made at the 2004 convention.

"The way they planned it tonight was supposed to be sort of the personal " Michelle Obama will talk about Barack Obama personally, Ted Kennedy was a very personal, emotional speech," Carville said. "But I guarantee on the first night of the Republican Convention, you're going to hear talk about Barack Obama, commander-in-chief, tax cuts, et cetera, et cetera."

"You haven't heard about Iraq or John McCain or George W. Bush " I haven't heard any of this. We are a country that is in a borderline recession, we are an 80 percent wrong-track country. Health care, energy " I haven't heard anything about gas prices," Carville also says. "Maybe we are going to look better Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. But right now, we're playing hide the message."

Carville also said the party needs to do a better job of communicating its message to the American people.

“If this party has a message it's done a hell of a job hiding it tonight, I promise you that," he said.

Filed under: Democratic National Convention
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:11 am
@old europe,
It had to do with what the country hasn't been, but what it can be. I don't remember the exact words, I would need to research them. All of this feeds into the entire philosophy of their candidacy, which is change, and I think they both want to drastically change the country, that they truly think the country has been a pretty miserable country, and they want to turn it into a decent and good country.

I knew somebody would ask. The statements would be benign, if we had not already known some of the history of what the Obamas have said in the past, along with their associations with some pretty angry people.
okie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@sozobe,
Don't have to play it backwards. Read my reply to oe.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Agree to a point. The video was very effective...but the format of the night was weak. I think those in charge should have interpersed soft sell with hard sell, keeping in mind when TV viewers are routinely changing channels... I also thought I'd suggest to you to try not to be completely driven by partisanship during your conversation. Try to look at the convention with a bit more objectivity.

I'm giving this convention a fair shot at enlightening me and I'm watching as much of it as I can.

Day one failed to energize me in any way though.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:13 am
@okie,
Okie,

I'm glad you took the time to share perceptions from your viewpoint. I think you had a few valid points. Religion was unwelcomed in Dem conventions before...and with the huge losses from this voting block by Kerry and Gore, suddenly religion is back in the Dem convention....this is just good business, I'm sure. I remember when pro-life Dems were not allowed to speak...they've amended that as well... I'm no fan of religion,...but a serious enemy of exclusion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ted Kennedy was great if you're a fan of rich old traitorous murderers, especially one who was brain dead before he ever had a tumor.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:15 am
@H2O MAN,
(curtsies to H2O) Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:16 am
@okie,
I think staged is a bit strong. I'm sure that Obama's kids were told they were going out and to smile and wave.... and probably were told "be sure to say hi to Daddy" . That's about what any parent would do when their young children were about to walk out in front of thousands of people.... a damn daunting task for anyone. I suppose you can call that strictly staged and scripted if you like.... but you would be as wrong as a person who said it was 100% spontaneous.... which I don't believe either.

Instead of arguing those fine points why not agree on how poised and genuine these little girls were... how they weren't intimidated by this HUGE crowd and their daddy looking at them in front of a megatron. When children show this sort of confidence, and comfortableness it is usually a sign of children who feel safe and secure..... and that's the proof of good parenting.