The 2008 Democrat Convention

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

He said that he, Hillary and Chelsea and, oh yes, the other 18 million Hillary fans, should support Obama. I thought it was a masterful performance by Pres Clinton, in which he made it clear that they are supporting Obama.
If the Clinton's are serious, they could help turn a couple of southern states blue.

Um, I heard him. His speech was good...but as far as statesmen speeches go, it was not extraordinary. He did do the job, and he did it good. I was not swept off my feet though.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
@dagmaraka,
I guess if you're a long time politico, you very clearly see a difference in what she said (and didn't) and what he said. He hit all points...he strongly made his speech about the nominee. Masterful.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
Holy crap! That is why I was still looking forward to seeing Bill Clinton speak. I wouldn't say he matched his "John Kerry said send me" speech; but I believe he gave it his very best shot... and.... DAMN! I'd say he hit it out of the park. He covered every talking point I've heard the Right raise... and did it with a power very few could even hope to match. Well done Bill Clinton. Thank you Bill Clinton!
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:53 pm
Beyond my wildest dreams!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:56 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Well, after Bill's speech I am voting Obama!!

Ok, not really. But he is still a good speaker. I hate him for that. Laughing
You're a good ****, McGentrix. I like you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:00 pm
I am a guy who pretty much detests both Clinton's, particularly their lack of willingness to support the party over the years. Both Hillary and Bill did the right thing in Denver, and that surprises me.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:02 pm
@dagmaraka,
I hear what you are saying, Dag, about the lack of soaring words of statesmanship. This was all about the infighting that he seems to have put an end to. The posts following yours address that.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I guess if you're a long time politico, you very clearly see a difference in what she said (and didn't) and what he said. He hit all points...he strongly made his speech about the nominee. Masterful.

yes, like i said, he hit all the points. he did a good job. i did not think he was masterful, but he was good enough, that's all he needed to do.

there are few great statesmen around the world. he might be one of them. his speech tonight was not on that level...though it was genuinely good.
he spoke like a good politician, said all the necessary things, got in all the cliches (not in a bad way) that one would expect him to. he did a good service to obama and democratic party. it was not above and beyond ... not extraordinary, didn't have the extra something something. i'm talking about style, literary quality, artistic delivery... hillary was better at this (delivery) than him last night, for me.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cvn_bill_clinton
Bill Leaves No Doubt...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:11 pm
Bill...I felt we shared a little something...just feeling the incredible vibe of the meaning of tonight...when I heard the song Clinton chose as his exitr music..."It's a Beautiful Day" by U2... Very Happy
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Bill...I felt we shared a little something...just feeling the incredible vibe of the meaning of tonight...when I heard the song Clinton chose as his exitr music..."It's a Beautiful Day" by U2... Very Happy

spoke like a true long time politico Laughing
firefly

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:19 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
“Barack Obama is ready to lead America and restore American leadership in the world,” Mr. Clinton said, speaking strongly and with apparent conviction. “Barack Obama is ready to be president of the United States.”

Coming from a former president, I think that is the strongest possible endorsement that Clinton could have given to Obama.

Both Hillary and Bill Clinton could not have done more for Obama, or for the Democratic party, than they have done at this convention. They both delivered the goods.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:21 pm
@dagmaraka,
Hey--we all have our soul moments...haha
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:22 pm
Watching Biden now...(excited)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
As a father, Biden is superlative.

Personally, a great guy, and yet a liberal.

If we we were voting for good guys alone, I would be happy to vote for Joe Biden.

I certainly prefer him, by far, to Obama.

And yet, as good a guy as he is, and as black a person Obama may be, their positions are to liberal for me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
Finn:
Quote:
as good a guy as he is, and as black a person Obama may be

I mean, WTF?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
Bill Clinton will always give the great speech. It's his gift.

Now if you you think a great speech giver is the best candidate for the presidency, then you will vote for Clinton again, and Obama now.

How stupid is it of us that we might make a decision on who leads our country on the basis of eloquence?

Why does anyone think that eloquence equates with competence, let alone greatness?

Are we such inspid fools?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:42 pm
@snood,
What do you mean?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:53 pm
"John McCain was wrong and Barrack Obama was right!"

OK Joe, you said so.

Good God is their no limit to how far VP candidates will stoop to set themselves up for a possible presidency?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:55 pm
Okay, today was the first really good day for the Obama Convention. Hillary was a class act releasing her delegates. Bill did all anyone could possibly have wanted and stayed on script. Biden gave his usual down home spiel and did so effectively--I wouldn't call it much of an attack dog or stem winder speech but effective.

All in all a very good day for the Democrats.

Will be interesting to see if we'll now see a bounce in the polls.
0 Replies