The 2008 Democrat Convention

nicole415

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I missed it what did Robert say?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:41 pm
@nicole415,
Follow the wormhole from my reply post to him by clicking the "post#######" next to his name. (May as well learn the new navigation tool while you're at it.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

I love the chatter, the chit-chat, the "sitting round the TV together"-type vibe. The sportsfield-type taunts and boasts, not so much.

I respect you very much, nimh. But Cyclo is correct, in my mind. The trash-talking in the U.S. is part of our nature as Americans. I follow the "Obama" thread but I suspect that the myriad of other political threads are equally as raucus with the taunts and the boasts. That might just be us, or it might just be how we regard the internet. You can't put every issue into its own little box and expect us all to dump there.
I can not imagine putting 5, 6 or 7 people on "Ignore."
I reckon I could meet H2O in a diner in N GA, eating eggs, sausage and grits, and getting along just fine with him. I would enjoy having a cold beer with Okie and talking about energy policy.
The internet, like Hyde Park in London, is our soapbox, where folks can rant and rave. Is that different from where you are, or from what you would like?

Now that I am back on A2K, I look forward to that other thread you have got going that is so far uncontaminated by partisanship.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
What's a grit?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

What's a grit?

Asking a question like that in the South could get you put on ignore. Smile
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm
I have to say I'm watching Jim Clyburn on the floor in an interview,...and another chillbump moment. He said he can hardly talk about how he feels being at a convention where a black American is the nominee...he can hardly hold his emotions in check, speaking about how he feels, how he wishes his father had lived to see this day...and how far this is going in the healing process of our country.

Can't help but to tear up and beam.

John Lewis saying the same thing about the struggle, the 3 who died in Mississippi, all the pain, loss and bravery that went before....to get to this night.

No matter what happens now....the wind is blowing in a new era.

Very powerful.

John Lewis led the march in Selma. Makes me want to thank Dys for his work toward this reality.
littlek

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:57 pm
@H2O MAN,
Let me translate, it's pronounced gree-yets. Capice?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

What's a grit?

Asking a question like that in the South could get you put on ignore. Smile

Well, I am a Connecticut Yankee in Georgia Wink
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:04 pm
@Lash,
Yup. It's a beautiful day!

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Who does? This is what I said:

sozobe wrote:
I could see it being stopped at some point I guess -- I don't think it will actually be unanimous though. (As in, I think there will be at least some votes for her before the process is stopped, if that happens.)

Wink

I was seeing buzzes about her stopping it much earlier -- she waited all the way 'til New York. Her prerogative of course and glad she did it at all. I didn't get to watch too much of what happened afterwards, but what I did see of the singing and dancing and grown men with tears rolling down their cheeks... ahhh. That was nice. Very Happy
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:22 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Yup. It's a beautiful day!

It sure is.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
@sozobe,
No no, you owe me a buck fiddy too for doubting me in the sentence before that quote!

Calling for a unanimous nomination after the roll call started can only happen that way (voice vote). She called for unanimous and got it by suspending the vote and nominating by unanimous acclimation . Just like I's said amidst the doubt and ridicule.

(ok, I stop playing now there were few politics junkies I know personally who weren't aware of the negotiations and the prediction was nothing special)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
Bill is doing what Hill didn't. He's doing it. Couldn't be a stronger endorsement!
Barack Obama is ready...He's all about O. He's saying it all. Great job. A great speaker....hitting all the points.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:21 pm
@Lash,
Good things said about McC...but did his job for the Dems. O should send him a check.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
Well, after Bill's speech I am voting Obama!!

Ok, not really. But he is still a good speaker. I hate him for that. Laughing
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
@Lash,
really? i don't think his speech compares to hers. His is OK, it is fine, it is good. But she was a league ahead in so many ways.
snood

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:31 pm
I echo Lash's statements - Bill Clinton did it, he really did.

Whether he and Hillary really do involve themselves actively in pushing for his election between now and November, he did everything any Obama supporter could have asked him for tonight - and he did it with class and conviction.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:37 pm
@dagmaraka,
He said that he, Hillary and Chelsea and, oh yes, the other 18 million Hillary fans, should support Obama. I thought it was a masterful performance by Pres Clinton, in which he made it clear that they are supporting Obama.
If the Clinton's are serious, they could help turn a couple of southern states blue.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:40 pm
Brilliant. Bill's the man. period. that crowd would have continued going crazy for 10 minutes if Bill hadn't shushed them. Brilliant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:41 pm
America just stepped forward in huge steps at the democratic convention, but the republicans don't understand what that is.
0 Replies