The 2008 Democrat Convention

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2OMan, it may expand after Obama speaks from a replica of a Greek Temple.

How does this help remove the messiah image?

Or is there a desire to remove it?

This elicits mentioning again my theory that just maybe there are Clinton moles working in Obama's campaign?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:23 pm
@okie,
It's not a greek temple; I'm pretty sure it's a reproduction of the Lincoln memorial.

Geez, you guys. Seizing on anything that will keep you afloat, aren't you?

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

She's angling for a moment at the time the votes are cast where she can make a pitch for Obama and get some credit for the effort.

Watch her pitch a "unanimous" vote to her delegates when votes are cast.
That's not possible because voting has already begun, but it would have been better than not doing it at all, but wouldn't that still have been all about self promotion?

At the end of the day; the sore loser is taking an enormous amount of press coverage away from the party candidate. Regardless of what comes out of her mouth; her actions are divisive.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

H2OMan, it may expand after Obama speaks from a replica of a Greek Temple.

How does this help remove the messiah image?

Or is there a desire to remove it?

This elicits mentioning again my theory that just maybe there are Clinton moles working in Obama's campaign?

Smile I hadn't thought of Clinton moles, but hey, this is America where just about anything can happen in politics.

Now tell me. Does this evoke images of presidentiality? (Is that a word?)

http://www.drudgereport.com/otf.jpg
old europe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:30 pm
@H2O MAN,
Well, pollster.com is following many polls, not just doing one poll at a time. You can see the individual poll results as dots in the graph, though.

From these individual polls, the trend is calculated - the red and blue line in the graph. If several polls, over a longer time, show McCain with a lead, then that will be reflected in the graph. But if he just jumps ahead of Obama in three or four polls, for a couple of days, then the graph may change slightly, but never to the point where McCain would be ahead - simply because it doesn't necessarily reflect the actual trend. Simply because individual polls can be off.

Here's an explanation for the trend line from pollster.com:

Quote:
Here is a way to think about this: suppose the last 5 polls in a race are 25, 27, 29, 31 and 33. Which is a better estimate of where the race stands today? 29 (the mean) or 33 (the local trend)? Since support has risen by 2 points in each successive poll, our estimator will say the trend is currently 33%, not the 29% the polls averaged over the past 2 or 3 weeks during which the last 5 polls were taken. Of course real data are more noisy than my example, so we have to fit the trend in a more complicated way than the example, but the logic is the same. Our trend estimates are local regression predictions, not simple averaging. If the data have been flat for a while, the trend and the mean will be quite close to each other. But if the polls are moving consistently either up or down, the trend estimate will be a better estimate of opinion as of today while the simple average will be an estimate of where the race was some 3 polls ago (for a 5 poll average-- longer ago as more polls are included in the average.)

And for more information on numbers and polls, just go ahead and ask nimh....

Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
psst Cyclops -
Quote:
When visitors approach the memorial dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, many are taken aback by its majestic temple-like appearance.

The individual responsible for this design was architect Henry Bacon who modeled the memorial after the Greek temple known as the Parthenon.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:54 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
She is going to make a mid-roll call speech that I believe will coincide with cutting the roll call short and declaring Obama the unanimous winner.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah. Most of our government buildings in Washington were closely modeled on Greek buildings on purpose---to accentuate our founding hopes to champion the democracy the Greeks established. Jefferson took pains to design Monticello in the same style.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
She probably wants to exceed by far the other women who have had votes cast for president at conventions....for posterity.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:03 pm
@Lash,
Yeah, that's my thinking too.

Plus the "catharsis" thing -- allowing her supporters to make that vote for her.

I could see it being stopped at some point I guess -- I don't think it will actually be unanimous though. (As in, I think there will be at least some votes for her before the process is stopped, if that happens.)

What I'm worried about -- someone (whether Hillary or someone else) tries for the theater of it ("everyone vote for Obama now") and PUMAs refuse to play, and then there's a Problem.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:11 pm
@sozobe,
Oh and I'm not really liking the Greek columns.

Someone (defending it) thinks it's meant to suggest the Lincoln Memorial because that's where MLK gave his "Dream" speech (44 years ago tomorrow). That's something to keep subtle, not to whack people over the head with.
cyphercat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:21 pm
@sozobe,
I just read an AP article about this whole Greek temple thing & came straight here to see what you guys were saying about it...Is this for real?!

I mean, to me this sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Doesn't it seem like it's just going to throw fuel on the fire of the whole elitist/rock star/messiah thing? I'm totally freaked out.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We'll see. I seriously doubt the roll call will be cut short, regardless.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:22 pm
@cyphercat,
Yeah, I'm really not liking it.

<sigh>

It's "unfinished" -- maybe it's just, like, the apparatus for banners or something?

Um.

We'll see.
okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Smile I hadn't thought of Clinton moles, but hey, this is America where just about anything can happen in politics.

Foxfyre, I've not heard of this theory anywhere, I swear, I thought of it, but it isn't too bizarre, after all, the Clintons know that if Obama wins, it pushes their political power in their party into great jeopardy in the future, and I am not at all convinced they are ready to be shown the door. In gang wars, alot of things are possible. Just a theory, but one worth considering. After all, who is it that is orchestrating some of this stuff, vp pick, greek architecture, the stadium venue, some of the speakers chosen, woe, this is all so fascinating, and history is being made, but I think alot of people are thinking its a disaster in the making. This convention is more of a group therapy session than a celebration of their candidate.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
I was just watching Fox News and the host was interviewning the chairwoman for the DNC rules committee and stating, "there's lots of people who are not going along with the Obama/Unity message" and the chairwoman from DNC says, "you found one person who has left the floor in protest and you are saying "lots of people?"
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, that's what I'm telling myself too--wait and see, wait and see... *eek*
squinney

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:00 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Re: squinney(Post 3376956)
Quote:
squinney wrote:
Is she bitter and therefore purposely not releasing her delegates?

O'Bill wrote:
Quote:
How would you answer this question? Is there more than one way? How is this not divisive? If she was truly seeking unity; why continue to be divisive? Her words were pretty enough as far as I'm concerned... but actions speak louder than words.

I was mimicking how people are applying negative motives to Hillary after her speech when there is no reason to do so. No matter what she said I really don't think it would have been enough for some. Is she the one being divisive? I don't think so. The tone of the pages here since her speech sounds to me like she is being given a heck of a lot of power (responsibility) over the outcome of the week. If she'd said ____ then Obama would have her delegates. Why is that?

Obamas "side" wants to be able to play with her toys, claim her toys for him, but not let her stay to play, too? Why can't he get his own toys? Why doesn't anyone want to acknowledge that he needs her toys to win instead of calling her (basically) a coniving bitch that needs to get out of the sandbox and go home?

You guys (those jumping on/criticizing Hillary) are the ones being divisive. If she has what you want, try asking nicely. Geez!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm
Clinton has released her delegates as of a few minutes ago.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Clinton has released her delegates as of a few minutes ago.

She released them to vote any way they choose.