The 2008 Democrat Convention

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes, that's what 'releasing your delegates' means.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, I know.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:18 pm
@sozobe,
Don't worry so much. The Greek Temple didn't hold Bush back in 2004 -

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/gwbrnc8.jpeg

As Yglesias points out, we do have a few columns here in America, too. The 'greek temple' meme is just the Republicans groping for something to knock him on.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Evidently she didn't instruct them:

Quote:
"I have spoken to many of you and you have questions about what to do. You want to vote according to what is in your heart. I am not going to tell you what to do. You have come from different places and made a long journey."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h4p5ugr9IIy29152F-jbRxKdlVTA
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:20 pm
@sozobe,
Don't you think it's better that way? There will be no serious challenge to Obama's nomination, and this way people can vote for her with a clear conscience; supposedly, over and over, these people said that they just wanted to cast a vote for her on the floor, like they had been elected to go do. So I say, let 'em.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

@cyphercat,
I don't know if this makes things better or worse -- but Bush used the columns in 2004:

http://www.foxnews.com/images/137069/30_24_090204_bush_waving_450.jpg

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/gwbrnc8.jpeg

Good point from Ben Smith; "The attachment to kitsch, particularly at political conventions, is clearly bipartisan."
OCCOM BILL

@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Re: squinney(Post 3376956)
Quote:
squinney wrote:
Is she bitter and therefore purposely not releasing her delegates?

O'Bill wrote:
Quote:
How would you answer this question? Is there more than one way? How is this not divisive? If she was truly seeking unity; why continue to be divisive? Her words were pretty enough as far as I'm concerned... but actions speak louder than words.

I was mimicking how people are applying negative motives to Hillary after her speech when there is no reason to do so. No matter what she said I really don't think it would have been enough for some. Is she the one being divisive? I don't think so. The tone of the pages here since her speech sounds to me like she is being given a heck of a lot of power (responsibility) over the outcome of the week. If she'd said ____ then Obama would have her delegates. Why is that?
This is a silly argument, Squinney. She chose not to release her delegates during her speech and people reacted to it. You can't blame her action on people's reaction to it. Not releasing the delegates long before the convention began= divisive. How can you even pretend otherwise?

squinney wrote:
Obamas "side" wants to be able to play with her toys, claim her toys for him, but not let her stay to play, too? Why can't he get his own toys? Why doesn't anyone want to acknowledge that he needs her toys to win instead of calling her (basically) a coniving bitch that needs to get out of the sandbox and go home?
In a two party system; this is a simple matter of fact. Ultimately; she doesn't have any toys. She has the ability to throw a hissy fit in the middle of the sandbox, or not, or somewhere in between. Her words were cooperative playing, while her actions were middle of the road at best. You cannot reasonably explain this away by blaming people for reacting negatively to it after the fact.

squinney wrote:
You guys (those jumping on/criticizing Hillary) are the ones being divisive. If she has what you want, try asking nicely. Geez!
This is ridiculous. There is no chance of Hillary answering my question; though she obviously answered Obama's by choosing to make as big of story of herself as possible at his convention. This is divisive. Again; you cannot reasonably explain this away by blaming people for reacting negatively to it after the fact. She chose this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm fine with it.

Just trying to figure out if this fulfills Robert's prediction -- doesn't seem to.

You beat me to the columns -- we read the same stuff I guess. Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:23 pm
@sozobe,
Clustering!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
@H2O MAN,
I wonder if they will let all 55 states vote tonight?

Watch my thumbs up number go down, as I think the sense of humor here is running thin among some.
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
Dolores Huerta (from the great city of Bakersfield???) is nominating HRC.
So far, this convention is going much better than I had expected. (feared?)

I love how the wingnuts are coming up with all sorts of nonsense that they should have done this or that. They are grasping at straws and it's fun to watch.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Evidently she didn't instruct them:

Quote:
"I have spoken to many of you and you have questions about what to do. You want to vote according to what is in your heart. I am not going to tell you what to do. You have come from different places and made a long journey."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h4p5ugr9IIy29152F-jbRxKdlVTA
Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me.

Some team player. No Democrat should ever reward her divisive behavior in the future. How can anyone think it's a good idea to squander the national spotlight to yabber about a candidate who's already been defeated? Republicans must be laughing their asses off, tickled to death at the inept idiocy. This is not how you put on a united front.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
Just heard that Bill Clinton will give a 10 minute speech tonight. Ten minutes? I've seen him take that long just to smile and wave at the front row.

And seriously guys, a few decorative columns are the same thing as an image of a Greek Temple that is being described as a Greek temple? It is already being dubbed the "Temple of Obama" or the "Barackopolis".
okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Just heard that Bill Clinton will give a 10 minute speech tonight. Ten minutes? I've seen him take that long just to smile and wave at the front row.

Yes, I thought the twosome of Bill and Biden spelled one long night of speeches!
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:33 pm
Michael Wilson, Iraq veteran and Registered Republican nominates Barack Obama!!!

I am lovong it!
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Grasping at straws indeed. LOL
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I just watched Charley Rangle explain how Hillary will deliver NY… and how the voters in NY will listen. Please. Has anyone ever doubted for a fraction of a second that the electoral votes from NY and CA will go to Obama? Reminds me of the “can’t win the big states bs.”
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:36 pm
@Foxfyre,
Of course it is - by Republicans.

But you guys would criticize whatever we did, so who cares?

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
8-minute! Wow.

Quote:
Bill Clinton will say in a roughly eight-minute speech that only a Democrat in the White House can "restore America's standing to what it was eight years ago," said the aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to pre-empt the former president's speech.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

But you guys would criticize whatever we did, so who cares?

Who are "you guys" and who is "we"?
0 Replies