Crohn's Disease...Need Information on Diet

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
They tell you that there is no diet for Crohn's disease and that you can eat anything....at least that is what my SIL's doctor's keep telling her. I think it's crazy. There has to be some sort of diet she can follow that will help her out. She cannot gain weight. She is always feeling sickly. Her overall wellbeing is just dismal. She needs to put on at least 10 pounds and I think she'd feel 100% better (ok, mayb 50% better but anything at this point is worth it).

Do any of you have experience with Crohn's and have found a diet that helps lessen the symptoms and maybe can help her gain a little weight?

View best answer, chosen by Bella Dea
littlek

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm
@Bella Dea,
Aren't there meds she can take?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
Yes but it isn't controlling it as well as it needs to. She is 25 and way too young for surgery.
Rockhead
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:26 pm
@Bella Dea,
As much fiber as she can tolerate between flare ups, whole foods, and lots of fruits and veggies in small constant doses.

I have found Aloe-vera extract with fruit juice to kill the taste to be very beneficial...
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Aloe vera? Really? Wow.

I'll let her know. At this point, after all the doctors, she will probably try anything. Poor thing.

Thanks!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:07 pm
@Bella Dea,
I don't get to do the docs, but have found the health food store rather helpful.

It is the extract of the whole plant, and kinda pricey, but I swear by it...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:30 pm
I do 2 0z. as I drive to work (mixed with cherry juice) and again before bed.
(it is very bitter)
I snack on mini-wheats as I can all day as well, for the fiber, and iron to fight anemia.
littlek

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:32 pm
@Rockhead,
It sounds like malnutrition is a big problem because the food goes right through the GI in crohn's patients. Taking the iron and a multivitamin would seem like a good idea. I wonder if multiple, small doses would be better than big doses.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
@littlek,
Don't know much 'bout other folks, but I have not had good luck with vitamin pills or supplements.
littlek

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Why is that?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:43 pm
@Rockhead,
I have twice tried to go that route, but have had calcium deposits form in my saliva gland, and a cyst form inside my lower eyelid. I think my system reacts strangely to higher than natural doses of minerals.

I admit that having no access to "modern medicine" limits my ability to answer those of you who can just go see someone, but I have heard much conflicting info among people with Crohn's and a physician to oversee it...
littlek

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:59 pm
@Rockhead,
So. Maybe small doses throughout the day? Have you tried tinkering with doses?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:03 pm
@littlek,
We have balanced the nutrition in my diet, and so far I am stable. (everything has to be in small doses, or...)

lotsa fish, turkey, chicken and dark green veggies.

I have a natural aversion to pharmaceuticals, anyway...
Izzie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Fish is good hun Wink
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:22 pm
@Rockhead,
She does have a problem with malnutrition but not a whole lot of luck with pills/supplements either. Which is why she's looking for alternative solutions.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:24 pm
@Bella Dea,
How are her stress levels?

That is my biggest hurdle...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
@Bella Dea,
I like Andrew Weil, M.D. and his holistic approaches. He's saying

Quote:
Avoid coffee, decaf, all other sources of caffeine and all stimulant drugs.
Avoid milk and all milk products.
Avoid products sweetened with sorbitol, xylitol, or other sugar alcohols.
Take slippery elm in the form of gruel: Combine one teaspoon of the powder with one teaspoon of sugar and two cups of boiling water. Stir well. Flavor with cinnamon and drink one or two cups twice a day.
IF cramping is a problem, take enteric-coated capsules of peppermint oil between meals to relieve the spasmodic component of inflammatory bowel disease
Practice breathing exercises for relaxation.
Because stress can worsen symptoms, take a course in biofeedback or experiment with hypnotherapy and guided imagery to use the mind/body connection to heal the gut.
Consider psychotherapy or cognitive behavioral therapy to work on emotional conflicts that can exacerbate symptoms.
To address inflammation, increase your dietary omega-3 fatty acids by taking supplemental fish oil, start with one gram a day and increase slowly to two to four grams a day. watch for any increase in diarrhea, and cut back the dose if necessary.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400137
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:43 am
@Bella Dea,
Disclaimer: I am not a physician or dietician and this is based purely on what I learned when helping a dear friend who suffered from this miserable disease.

While it is true that there is no single prescribed diet for Crohns as it takes many forms and everybody is different, there are a few tried and true wholistic remedies that seem to benefit most.

First your SIL knows to avoid alcohol, fried foods, high fat content yes? Anything that puts a lot of stress on the liver?

She should look at foods rich in sulfur and sulfur-containing compounds. Sulfured molasses as a seasoning for toast or pancakes for instance. (To gain weight my friend ate stacks of pancakes sweetened with sulfured molasses.) Other foods rich in sulfur are onions, garlic, and egg yolks. (Be careful of too many egg yolks due to their high fat content, but my friend tolerated them well.) Other foods she found benefit from included broccoli, brussel sprouts, collard greens, cabbage, and I think cauliflower. All are high in sulfur.

Some spices also helped her--they presumable detoxify the liver--turmeric and cinnamon were two. Also black licorice.

At any rate, even if they don't noticably help, I don't think any of these things could hurt.

0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
this website by the MAYO CLINIC should provide some advice .
having had IBS - of which CROHN'S seems to be a subset - for the last 40 years or so , i know it's pretty difficult to get a handle on it .
it's up and down ... and very unpredictable .
i may get an attack being quietly at home , yet going on a cruise and eating plenty of food - even in foreign places , has so far never caused my IBS to flare up .
as i've been told many times by the experts : it may at times be very uncomfortable but it likely won't kill you (there is optimism !) .
the best of luck to SIL !
hbg

check this link :
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/crohns-disease/DS00104
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
@hamburgboy,
Well, that's the thing...her's almost did kill her. She is still severely anemic from the bleeding and recently had a bout with blood clots and is now on blood thinners which is totally scary since she very well could bleed to death should her Crohn's act up again.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I am going to send this on to her and hope it helps.