How do I know if my posts were replied to?

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:26 am
When I click on My Posts I see my last post but it doesn't show that there have been posts after mine - like the little orangey thing that was on the old forum.
Thankee mucho
Bathsheba
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,546 • Replies: 20
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:48 pm
@bathsheba,
There is no such function right now, I dont think. Alas. I agree that it would be one of the very best ways to improve the new site.

Ideally, an old-A2K style "Your Posts" page where, instead of seeing your individual posts, you get a list of threads you've posted in, and the little orangy thing you mention indicating whether there's been posts since yours.
Alternatively, a function on the current "Your Posts" page, where your posts are listed individually but you'd have some sign/icon/thingy indicating whether there's been any new posts.
cyphercat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:23 pm
@nimh,
Ugh, so there really isn't something I was missing? Darn it. I was hoping I'd come across some setting to change or something...I think this is the one thing that I really, really don't like about the new set-up, and never would--I mean, it seems like a huge over-sight. Doesn't everybody like to check the "my posts" page and see if someone's posted since you did?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:27 pm
@cyphercat,
remember Craven's thread asking how people used A2K? there was a whole whack of people who never looked at "my posts".
cyphercat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, jeez, really? That seems confusing to me--but I guess if you just toss a comment out and aren't too interested in seeing what's said next then that'd make sense...just seems so odd to not be able to easily see if there has been anything added to a thread since you were last there. Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:42 pm
@cyphercat,
There's a My Posts category at the top of the page. (I haven't looked at it yet, since I never used it before). If your posts have replies, there will be 1) the replies below it (they will be headlined Reply to Cyphercat), and, on the post, the number of replies to your post listed, and you can click on that and see them all. Click on them individually and you can see them well.
cyphercat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I know that, but thank you. Smile That requires going into the thread to see--I just want to look at the list of threads I've posted in and see easily whether there's been anything added since I posted, without opening the threads.

I'm not meaning to be one of the "oh my gosh I hate hate hate it!!!" people, by the way--I like it a lot, this really is the only thing that I can think of that I dislike and think is a problem.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Eh. What I remember from that thread is that the "Your Posts" option turned out to be the most used way to navigate the site.

Which is why it was a surprise not to find an equivalent in the new site! I mean, I guess it's just technologically impossible or really difficult, and then hey, what can you do? But yeah, I remember that thread as showing that it was the most commonplace way to navigate the site.

Guess we should now go back to see who's right... or maybe we shouldnt bother. Plenty people seem to miss it now, anyhow! :-)
Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:55 pm
@nimh,
It's technically difficult to do well (which the last software didn't bother with). The technical challenge is that there are several million posts and then grouping them by threads is a join that is very expensive for the server.

The last site just joined, but if we group by topics we'll do something much more complex like denormalize all the data to a new table. Thing is, users really need both views. The last site also had a posts by member search that was not grouped and that is useful to find a member's latest posts (e.g. if you only have grouped by topic you can't tell when they last posted easily).

So while I agree with everyone the best solution is not going to be easy or come right away. One easy solution would be to add the "view replies" ajax to the my posts page. Then you could see the latest replies to your posts. But that still wouldn't necessarily sort the list by it so it's not that great either.

Edit: in the mean time, tagging all topics you reply to is a way to get a grid with what you want.
maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
@nimh,
Nimh...I agree, the Your Posts page, coupled with the orange thing showing new posts, was by FAR my preferred method of viewing the site.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven, may I suggest what seems to me (as an ignorant onlooker) would be a simple workaround.

When I list discussions, each has a field called "Last Post:" which has a time stamp.

Could you simply mark all discussions in this view where the time stamp calculated here is greater than the last time I logged in?

This would be cool.
devriesj

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:19 pm
I like the suggestion about the way it used to be. I also rely heavily on knowing when my posts have been answered by e-mail. Is that function coming back?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@ebrown p,
That already happens, they have an orange dotted underline.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
So while I agree with everyone the best solution is not going to be easy or come right away. One easy solution would be to add the "view replies" ajax to the my posts page. Then you could see the latest replies to your posts. But that still wouldn't necessarily sort the list by it so it's not that great either.

Can't you just add a sort function to the "My Posts" list? That way the items we are actively involved in will float to the top of the list.

Then a little color-coding to indicate which ones were active since the last time they were read would do the trick.

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:27 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
That already happens, they have an orange dotted underline.

I don't see any orange dotted underline. I must be looking in the wrong place... I'll keep looking...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Sorting by the last post would mean the join to the topic table that I was talking about or the de normalization of the data that I was talking about. And the little color change involves read tracking, which I indicated we'll do through a clustered RAM memory cache whose integration also isn't easy.

It'd be a piece of cake to do it the bad way but we'll take our time and do it the right way.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
Ah ha, I see the little orange underline thing now... it was so faint I missed it before.

That helps.

A lot of people may not be seeing that due to the faintness...
Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah, I think it would work better as an icon or also using bolding or something. The underline was just the easy solution. Either way it all needs a lot of work.
bathsheba

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:50 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven, I am pretty much a Luddite so I can't even begin to understand how difficult all this must be. I'm not complaining about the new A2K. It's just, at my age, the neural synapses work slower. Learning curves are good, I keep telling myself......so am I to understand from the replies that some sort of colour coded thingy will happen to let us know when a post has been replied to, rather than leaving my last post there, which makes me assume no one responded.......?
Bathsheba
Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
@bathsheba,
The my posts page has changed, and may serve your purposes. The orange on the old site didn't indicate replies to you but rather it was a form of read tracking that was inexact. Something like that may come but the my posts page with the ability to sort by new posts is already there.