New A2K feature requests.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I just got that. Perfect - thanks ehbeth!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:25 am
@nimh,
Thanks; that's what I found when googling hamster hat.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:46 am
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but I think it would be helpful if the post list would show the tags associated with the thread over on the right side.

For example, near the top of the new posts list is a thread topic entitled, "Help Me Make the Case," started by sozobe. I have no idea what the topic of that thread might be, unless I click on it.

When I do, I see the tags are: pets and garden, pets, dogs, parenting, childcare. If those tags were listed, I would know better if it was a topic I was interested in:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3553/68223474289123bn9.jpg
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:18 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's already on our short list (the one or two week list) as part of a variety of tag fixes. The tags will probably go on a new line underneath the topic items.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I figured it might be. Good to hear.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
Maybe it could be done as a mouse-over. Roll your mouse over a topic title and the mouse-over shows the tags associated with it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
That kind of thing was considered for a lot of the topic grid, but ultimately I think it's important enough to be able to scan, and not just see on hover.

But we may do hover stuff like showing you the text of the first post or last post when you hover over those links.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree about the importance of the tag list.

The hover showing test of the first/last posts sounds like a nice feature down the road.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
Hi, two things....

I'd LOVE to be able to return to a thread where I left off.
Instead of scrolling back from the last post.
Will this feature ever return?

And on the large images, where we get scroll bars... Most of the time, they are too big vertically to be able to scroll horizonially. So I end up looking at half the stuff on the way down, and the other half on the way back up.
Am I doing something wrong? Is this the way it is? Will it change?

Thank you for all your hard work. I like the new A2K. There's some nice nifty features. And it just keeps getting better!
Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@caribou,
errrmmm..... not to bother you too much RG and NA (says quietly and tentatively.....) but when do you think we'll be getting PM's back????
yitwail

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:43 am
i'm not actually requesting this, but i'm curious about it. is there any intention of restoring the labels users received based on their number of posts? i think i was a veteran, for instance, but i'm not sure
jespah

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm
@yitwail,
I'm pretty sure that those won't be coming back -- NA or RG -- can you confirm? Thanks.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:33 am
Just a thought. As I clinched my teeth and thumbed down yet another thread of no interest--I absolutely HATE doing that--I especially regretted doing so with this one because if it should generate a lively discussion, it might be one I would want to revisit.

We have a way to look at anybody we have on ignore so we can decide if we wish to remove them from ignore.

Would it be possible to provide a list of thread titles we have thumbed down along with stats for responses/views in case we might want to revisit?

As I said, just a thought.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:02 am
@Izzie,

they're workin' on it -- see the new blog...
sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:04 am
@Region Philbis,
Re: the blog itself, it would be cool if there were some sort of read tracking or else something saying when the most recent post was -- just something to indicate whether we should check back yet.

I know, we can just *click* on the damn thing and check -- so it's not a big deal. A spare thought I had tho.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:14 am

TOP & END buttons on the blog would be kewl... when you get a chance Smile
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:22 pm
Can I take someone out of my "Followers" list?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Not yet, but eventually it is likely to be an option.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:31 pm
@sozobe,
On the home page we prominently display the last post right now, but that's not really tracking.

But you don't need me to make a solution for you (though we might, and we'll probably do better at syndicating those updates through twitter and facebook soon) because this is what RSS is for. If you use RSS you can subscribe to the blog RSS feed (this url is in sidebar of blog) and if you don't use URL you can use one of many RSS to email services (like Feed my Inbox out there to even get email updates when they are posted.

Eventually we plan to make our own solutions (e.g. maybe users would be able to subscribe to site updates by PM or email one day), but for now if you just want some kind of notifications of new blog posts there are some third party solutions you can immediately use.
sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
OK, cool.

I'm pretty sure that at the time I made that comment the last post wasn't on the home page yet -- or that if it was, I changed my A2K bookmark to make it the home page specifically to solve this problem. At any rate, now I see the homepage with the latest blog blurb at the top every time I open a tab for A2K, which works well for me.
0 Replies