Columbus, Ohio

George

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:46 pm
The Columbus Golden Seals were a minor league affiliate of the now-defunct California Golden Seals of the NHL. They played, if I remember correctly at the State Fair grounds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
There's some new hockey team they're crowing about, I forget their name though.

(Hi George!)

Thanks for the Merion Village info!! Just breezing thru at the moment, will read when I have a chance.

Osso, it's as early as Thursday but potentially much, much later than that, so don't get anxious on my behalf. This is actually SO early in the general scheme of things that it is awkwardly early. E.G. is just starting to get calls for interviews at other places, and offers from these other places, if forthcoming, are WAY down the line.

But if he gets the OSU offer, there are only one or two places that could beat it, so... Just would be nice to know if those places are an option.

Ay-yi-yi. The estress.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:20 pm
Stress City, understand.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:53 am
Hilliard - look in Hilliard! Only a 15 minute drive from Merion Village (really not a nice option) - and better neighbourhoods!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:57 am
Just read all the Merion Village stuff, thanks! Interesting indeed. The "not a nice option" part is most useful. (Insert gawd I love the Internet screed here. All of you helpful people, plus realtor.com and the pics and even virtual tours, and I'm getting a really good impression of what sort of housing is available and where I would want to live without having set foot anywhere near Columbus.) Thanks!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
There was a bit of a clue here, that I didn't catch, til I spoke to Setanta about this last night.

Setanta wrote:
the tone was decidedly working class, with a strong dose of West Virginia West. That has now receded to the south--the neighborhood about which Our Dear Sozobe is inquiring.

While Merion Village has a fascinating (I think) history - none of us wants the Sozlet there.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:43 pm
Ohio State Fair Scandal
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:40 pm
I'm moving to a state that puts hairpieces on cows.

Hmmm.

The big Thursday thing went well for E.G., but there is one more hurdle. Columbus is looking more and more likely.

Quelle emotional rollercoaster. We've had some good talks, he's convinced me this would be a good place for him (I've feared it was, well, beneath him, he's been doing really well), I've been doing all this research, great houses, really encouraging stuff from you guys (thanks again), but now that it looks like it might really truly be happening, my blood isn't running cold exactly but definitely lukewarmish.

Part of that is just the prospect of moving, in general. Not a fan of moving.

The good news, I'm so glad we are moving this year instead of last year. Sozlet was at a really bad age for moving last year, this year she's into it. She's been helping me look at houses online, and is all excited about the idea. Plus looks like her friend Jack will be moving too, which is a twofer -- she gets to help him move, and she wants to do whatever Jack does, and also she won't be moving away from him when we move.

Anyway, I'm saying this as "will" and "when", nothing for sure yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:16 pm
tap tap tap.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:18 pm
There was a very funny interview on the CBC tonight about the cow hairpiece scandal.

Columbus is basically a pretty good place, soz. If it turns out to be where you're moving - you've just gotta find your place in it - and I know you can do it. It's got an artistic vibe that I really think you'd like.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:47 pm
Artistic vibe is good.

Had another good talk, feeling peppier about it. The houses thing is big. When we were looking in Minneapolis, the ones I was lusting after were well out of our price range, while Columbus has some actually exactly what I want houses for goooood prices. (Not just in Merion Village, either.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:11 pm
Well.

He got the offer.

Looks like they want an answer, oh, in a coupla weeks.

<nibbling fingernails>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:16 pm
hmmm

Is not moving an option?

If not, then Columbus is a good option. It works for E.G. professionally, and that's what it's about, isn't it?

Nibble on.

and congrats to E.G. I'm sure he's pleased that he got the offer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
He is!

Not moving is an option, kind of. Complicated.

Chicago is also an option, kind of (University of Chicago.) But that's not going to become clear for much more than a couple of weeks. Probably some "Look, here's the situation" discussions can take place, but...

Nice houses in Columbus. 'Specially Clintonville. Nice.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:38 am
<Watching in the wings with everything crossed.>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
ooooh
i can't believe how curious i am to find out how this is going to work out

columbus
chicago
columbus
chicago
columbus
chicago

best opportunities

columbus
chicago
columbus
chicago
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:58 pm
One of my favorite bookclub ladies said that she just visited Columbus over New Year's. Her best friend just moved there a while ago, and loves it. Loves it. She said there's a thriving and active Deaf community there, lots to do, and gave me this friend's email address.

Gettin' more and more enthusiastic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:13 pm
sozobe wrote:
D'oh. The Ohio School for the Deaf is in Columbus!

That's a good sign. (I had no idea.)

I just went back to the beginning of the thread, to see where you'd been (in terms of thinking about Columbus), sozobe.

There's some good reading here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:16 pm
I'm sort of pro Columbus for you too, though I don't Know Columbus.

My Ohio memories are almost vestigial. Lived there from age 1-5, in a teeny house right near Wright Field, as it was then called, in Dayton. Went back again in the summer for three months while my dad researched flight history, the year I was twelve. Lived then in a basement apartment a block from the Miami River, near some main Dayton street. I remember liking the whole place, but part of that was seeing Ba' Isobel and the Rossis and some other old family friends that recognized and were warm to me, from back when I was five. Got to see the base from taller eyes, and go through an old bomber (I think it was then, couldn't have been when I when I was five, for various reasons. This appalls me now, but I guess I am glad I had the experience.

I remember going with my parents, the inevitable only child tagalong - which had its good points, met some interesting people - to some people's house for a supper. They lived in Yellow Springs and were enthused, I think, about summer theater. I remember specifically that they served tomato juice, which to this day I don't just drink a glass of, but must have been good, I bet from home grown tomatoes (I don't know, I wouldn't touch it) and that we went to the field to pick the corn for dinner, the first time that I experienced that. We ate outside at a picnic table under some huge tree. I think that was another first.

I lived in Chicago too, as you know, Soz, Evanston more specifically. Less urban might be good for the Wee Soz now... not sure, of course.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:33 pm
I just re-read the whole thing, too, thanks ehBeth. Interesting indeed. Clintonville was mentioned way back there, passed over it. The lack of body of water muddled the fact that it meets virtually every other requirement. Park (the park of roses sounds really rgeat, have been reading about it), old houses, liberal/ boho vibe, etc. Some just great houses there, I'm telling you. About 6 that I would buy in a heartbeat, if their pictures aren't totally false. Like, I'm not even going to post because it's possible we really WOULD buy one of 'em, and then I've posted my address for all and sundry to see. Wink

Will be visiting soon (looks like they want an answer in about 9 days -- said 10 days yesterday) and we're setting up appts. with realtors and everything.

Ooh!
0 Replies