Columbus, Ohio

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
You should go downtown to the Carnegie Library sometime, Soz, it's just west of the Old Deaf School Park, the one where Sweetiepie took the pictures she posted here. All of the libraries in Franklin county have inter-branch loan services from there, but they've got great resources for children, they have story hours, and just to see the 1904 architecture is a treat by itself. To get there, get on Third Avenue, and head east. You'll go through the Short North to Third Street, which is one-way south. From there, go south past the State House (hard to mistake that), with the offices of The Columbus Dispatch on your left. The next street after you pass the newspaper offices, take a left, and drive about five blocks east, and you'll see the imposing facade of the Metropolitan Library directly ahead of you at Grant Avenue. Across and to the left of the intersection is an alley which is also a named street, and runs on the north side of the library (there is virtually no distinction made in Columbus between alleys and streets), you can turn in there for parking. I highly recommend it as a half-day trip with the Sozlet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
Thanks, sounds good!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
Glad to hear the news!
(ok - glad I begged for it, and you answered :wink: )
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:23 pm
So glad you're settling in. I'm actually going to Columbus in a little over a week. I'd come to see you 'cept I'm only staying the night with my neice and her family. I'm delivering my mom to my brother's house in Cleveland. She's staying there for two or three weeks. So I'll swing south to Columbus.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
Hey, Kerry was in town, no?

Quote:

Know where that was, Soz?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:17 pm
Those two clowns have been all over Ohio like travellin' medicine shows . . . there was an interesting piece on the local talk radio station today about how folks in Ohio are gettin' sick of the sight of the both of them . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:38 pm
I've missed it though! I saw that same reference in that same article and thought hey, how come I didn't know that?

Gotta read more local stuff I guess.
0 Replies

wesleyannut

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:53 pm
Ohio Wesleyan University
Setanta wrote:
Many people in Columbus refer to it as a "cow town." This is absurd, of course, for a city this size. What they mean is that this is not New York. For those of us who prefer a more leisurely pace and less ado, that's fine; we advise the discontented to move to New York. Columbus is a major metropolitan area, however, and has many of the attributes. The radio market here is large and aggressive. Sadly, that means that many of the stations run "programmed" music: QFM96 is the "classic rock" station, Sunny95 is the "light rock" station, WCOL is the country station, etc. There are some good independent stations, though, and public radio is in fine form. WOSU has an FM station, which has a free-form classical format; an AM station which is talk radio and news; and, of course, a television station. Additionally WCBE (Columbus Board of Education) operates a public radio FM station which has an "alternative music" format. It is a very competetive radio market. In television, there are at least three cable outlets, as well as many broadband internet access services. The "big three" networks are represented, in addition to PBS at the WOSU station; both Fox and Warner Brothers have television stations here.

One aspect of a large city is present in Columbus, with a vengeance. Columbus is a restaurant town, with a very competitive market. Columbus State Community College offers a program for potential chefs which is certified by the Culinary Institute of America. Oddly, in a town with such a large Greek population, Greek is about the only major cuisine not represented. There are a few good Greek delis, though, and Zeta's, on High Street in the Short North, is the best (in my never humble opinion). There are Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Carribean and Mexican restaurants, both white table cloth and casual, as well as many "world cuisine" style of restaurants. In Grandview, one finds Spagio, which was formerly the Gourmet Market. Chef Hubert Seifert (the old nazi) has trained a good many first-class chefs, by virtue of exploiting them shamelessly as students. It was previously a white table cloth haute cuisine restaurant, classic European style, but he's switched, and renamed the place, originally offering exotic pizzas and single-serving casserole dishes baked in wood-fired ovens. It still owes much to the European tradition, but it is now updated and very trendy. The Grandview café has a seedy look, but offers some first class traditional American diner food-and is especially noted for its pickerel, which is what Ohioans call walleye. This is one of the wonderful secrets of Columbus-the town is full of really good diners, and small family restaurants.

Education is big in this town as well, apart from the Ohio State University. Devry University, which was originally called Devry Institute, has one of the best computer programming programs in the nation. Many locals still scoff at a school that has long advertised on television, but it is really a community college writ large, with full degree programs, and first class instruction. Absent the emphasis on sports or research of many a major university, it is free to concentrate on excellence in education, and it does. Franklin University originally focused on pre-law and law school, but has recently concentrated on "adult" education, expanding night courses, and offering "life experience" credit to older students. Central State University is one of the old, traditional black colleges. Ohio Wesleyan University and the Pontifical College Josephinum are the large religiously sponsored schools, and the Pontifical College is the only such institution outside of the Vatican. The University of Dayton has a campus (very small) in Columbus, largely to service correspondence and on-line students. I've mentioned Columbus State Community college, and very nearby to it is the Columbus School of Art and Design-which also enjoys a national reputation for excellence. More when i think of it.

I just wanted to respond to " Ohio Wesleyan University and the Pontifical College Josephinum are the large religiously sponsored schools, and the Pontifical College is the only such institution outside of the Vatican. "

You are incorrect about Ohio Wesleyan University. Ohio Wesleyan was founded in 1842 by the Methodist Church to educate Methodist ministers. While OWU's high selectivity justifies its place as one of the best liberal arts colleges in the U.S. , the school has come a long way from its Methdoist origins. Now, it is a private, independent school, only associated with The Methodist Church on paper. The school and the students there are VERY liberal. In my perception the girls there seem like radical feminist who have chips on their shoulders to suceed over their male counterparts. And they sure are bitchy and snobby. Most of them are lesbians any way, so a guy wouldn't be missing much. The school is wack. Guys, don't be persuaded by the Office Admission soliciting attempts to attract more males. In general, Ohio Wesleyan University is very liberal and sometimes gets trapped in its own "bubble" persay, but it is not nearly what people make it out to be.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:05 pm
I lived in Granville briefly and hung around in Zanesville. These are towns east of Columbus and, I think youd like the townscapes of Granville.
I liked Columbus for its art museum and all the Hopewell mounds in and wround the area from Franklin to Cataragus County (spellcheck?).
There is a big lake About 30 mi E of Columbus on Rt 16 and its a long sucker with little antiquey towns all around. Great soil and farming country (if they dont screw it up withtoo much development)

I wished I had all of Sets good tips when I was out there, I just sorta wandered around from New Philadelphia to Worthington .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:49 pm
I'm really liking Columbus so far. I dunno if it's just this summer (Set?) but the weather's been amazing -- warm but only occasionally hot, lots of nice breezes, everytime I think "darn I better put out the sprinkler" it rains. We went to a party over in Hilliard farmland ("Mudsock" exists!! I had no idea!! I thought it was like a general "boonies" type word) and that was awful purty. Nice combination of natural beauty going on and culture/ interesting stuff within Columbus.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:07 pm
FM, that's Buckeye Lake, and it has now taken on an aura of party area. Buffett and his parrot head zombie followers have used it as a venue more than once.

Soz, Mudsock does indeed exist, that's where i live. This has been a strange summer weather-wise, at least as compared to the last 15 summers, and it has been very cool, also.

I still wanna go live in Ontario, though, can't think why . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:09 pm
<makes shooing motions>

<proactive, follow your bliss shooing motions, not this town can't handle both of us shooing motions>
0 Replies

Mary444

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:07 am
@sozobe,
What visitors and newcomers really mean when they call Columbus, Ohio, a certain type of town is that most people in the town were born and raised there and never left Columbus. (Please look up the meaning of "cowtown" / "cow town" in the dictionary.)

When people arrive in Columbus, Ohio and mention that they are from another city or area of the country, such as Denver, Atlanta or Boston, people in Columbus either:

1.) Have a look on their face and act like they have no idea of where that is or anything about that city or area of the country (including other cities and areas of Ohio). They act totally ignorant about anyplace outside the Columbus Bubble and for a good reason, they are.

2.) Act very rude, narcissistic and arrogant, with an attitude that their hometown (Columbus) is better than everyone else's hometown. This unfriendly attitude tends to hurt people who are from other places outside the Columbus Bubble. Instead of welcoming people to Columbus, they are down right rude to them (including visitors from Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo and Cleveland).

Out of all the places in the US and around the world, that I have been in my life, I have never met anyone with the attitude that the people in Columbus, Ohio have towards visitors and newcomers. I work in an area where there are a lot of visitors to Columbus, Ohio and almost all them complain about the way they are treated by the people in Columbus.

As far a basketball goes in Columbus, forget it. The only thing Columbus, Ohio cares about is OSU FOOTBALL. It dominates all of the local television stations and the local newspaper. No body even discusses basketball or baseball in Columbus; it's all OSU FOOTBALL. Most people are obsessed with OSU FOOTBALL and that is all they talk about.

If you love narcissist and a city where locals think that it is perfect, move to Columbus, Ohio. But, don't you dare make any complaints about their Great Almighty City or everyone's Narcissistic rage will be directed towards you. For some reason, the people in Columbus, Ohio, cannot take any criticism about their city or OSU FOOTBALL; they just go ballistic and get violent.

There is also a common delusion of grandeur among the people in Columbus, Since Columbus, Ohio is the "Promise Land and the Mecca where everyone in the world must bow down and praise the almighty OSU FOOTBALL team.

As you can guess, I am one of those many outsiders who are treated like crap by the people of Columbus. Also, for some reason, if you live in the Columbus suburb of Grove City, your treated like crap also. The people here are really pathetic in the Columbus Bubble.

roger

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:14 am
@Mary444,
I don't think I'll go there, after all.
Mary444

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:29 am
@roger,
You do realize that the real estate agents in Columbus, Ohio continuously monitor these blog sites and respond to questions from people thinking about moving to Columbus, Ohio. Of course you are going to hear positive remarks about Columbus, Ohio, they want you to move to Columbus, Ohio and sell you a houses.

Who else would be so interested in you and your desire to move to Columbus, Ohio.

Listen to what they are saying and think!
roger

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 02:20 am
@Mary444,
My god, you're right. There's an ad for Columbus Sandwiches at the bottom of my screen, right now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:01 am
@Mary444,
Quote:
Out of all the places in the US and around the world, that I have been in my life, I have never met anyone with the attitude that the people in Columbus, Ohio have towards visitors and newcomers.

HA! You can live in MAine for 5 generations and still be "from away".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:18 am
@Mary444,
I'm not a real estate agent -- just want to get that out of the way.

I'm the person who started this thread 5+ years ago, and then moved here. I REALLY haven't had the experience you describe. People were really welcoming, and I'm happy to call Columbus my home now.

I've lived a pretty itinerant lifestyle up until now -- I moved to a new city every 3-4 years for a while -- and this was by far the friendliest reception I received. I mean, really by far.

There are other knocks on Columbus -- the OSU football obsession can be annoying, you're totally right on that, and I'm not crazy about the weather (winters are depressing). But the friendliness of the people is one of the top five things I DO like about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:24 am
@Setanta,
Interesting to re-read this -- overwhelming when I first read it, but now I can recognize the genius. (I nod, and nod, and nod some more.) The one big exception is "the Bottoms," now the Arena district. (I'm pretty sure... maybe the Bottoms is further south?)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:53 am
@sozobe,
Just re-read this stem to stern.

Nice town eh.
0 Replies