Columbus, Ohio

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:37 pm
9 days to an answer?
good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:41 pm
Oooh eee, ooooh ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:08 pm
An update for y'all:

This is a weird process, counterintuitive in many ways. E.G. just sent a proposal that outlined what would make him say "yes" to a (not yet official) offer. Then, as far as we can tell, the chair fiddles with that (gets specific numbers -- we're not talking just E.G.'s salary but things like travel expenses, salaries for postdocs, etc.), presents it to the Dean, then the Dean... we dunno. It's a new Dean, and nobody seems sure how fast he will act, or in what way. There have been stories, I don't know how credible, that he is known as a "closer" -- he'll get an opening gambit, call back, and say, "OK, I'll give you that plus 25% if you say yes tomorrow." From what I know of this process so far, I find that part unlikely. We're scheduling a visit to Columbus in a couple of weeks, and it looks like we will be able to give an answer after that.

At any rate, things look good, though still up in the air.

Trying to figure out now how important schools are to me. Have been getting a lot of data (new deaf mom contact in Columbus [Hilliard, actually!] has been great), and it looks like Upper Arlington and Dublin have the great school districts and the property values to match, Hilliard is a good happy medium, Clintonville has just amazing amazing houses... I keep finding 'em, one after another... but the jury's out on schools.

Hey Set, want to be neighbors? I promise I won't give you lectures on wimmins lib if you don't lecture me on political rectitude. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:22 pm
Wow!

<exhaling and catching a breath - ready for the next update>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:35 am
Inhaling, waiting for

godwits to come to the beach...

tap, tap, tap...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:25 pm
Well, looks like this journey is nearing it's end.

E.G. got the honest-to-goodness in-writing offer today, and it's quite nice. We're going to visit in a couple of weeks, they will wait 'til then for the answer.

UC (University of Chicago) sent a terse email last week to the effect of, we can move fast if we need to, keep us appraised of the situation at OSU. However, it looks like what they would have to offer, if anything, would be a weird combo position rather than just UC. Everyone we've talked to seems to discount this possibility. They have a couple of weeks to seal the deal, nobody thinks that's going to happen.

I'm currently very happy about the idea of Columbus, good job for E.G., nice houses, good-sized Deaf community, etc., etc. It always (last 3 times I've moved) takes me a few years to really put down roots, so kind of sad about moving just as those roots have gotten pretty strong. But that would happen no matter what, and Columbus looks like a good place to move to.

So! That's the news from Lake Jobsearchangst. (Sounds kinda Norwegian...) Will probably be all tied up, deep breath, move on, within a couple of weeks.

Then I'll start the "Help me buy a house!!" thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:20 am
Well!
Tons of congrats to E.G.
It's not an easy market out there, he musta done something right!

Keep breathing, soz, keep breathing.

Is there someone the sozlet can stay with in Chi-town while you go exploring in Columbus the first time?

Inhale, exhale.
Inhale, exhale.

It will probably more spring-like in Columbus in a couple of weeks (snow is promised for today), so you'll have a chance to see it in a prettier way.

I've been re-reading some of the Ohio mags that Setanta gets as part of his WOSU membership. So much to see and do around there. I can hardly wait for my next trip.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:14 am
No matter where you go, Soz, we'll always be here for you. I hope Columbus becomes you. PM me if you're interested in contacting my niece for more info about Columbus. She's your age and has a six year old who would love the Sozlet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
Thanks, Swimpy! Yes, this is a new feature -- I started on Abuzz, my very first experience with an online community, shortly after I moved here. It will definitely be cool to know that this part of my "roots" is entirely portable...

Would love to get your niece's contact info, thanks!! Will be making this trip and probably one or two subsequent ones to buy a house, but the more person-on-the-spot contacts, the better. Especially, I'm curious about schools, and I bet she would have info on that.

Will keep on breathing, ehBeth, and the fact that the breathing is getting less and less panicky (I may even be able to retire the brown paper bag) has a lot to do with your and Setanta's help -- thanks again. Definitely bringing sozlet, she wants to and it will be part of the PR campaign, give her things to look forward to when we move there. We probably will have some time where E.G. watches her there and I do stuff on my own, especially if she gets bored with houses.

There IS a lot to see and do! Just found this:

http://www.free-attractions.com/columbus_oh.htm

Which led me to this:

http://www.hockinghillspark.com/

http://www.hockinghillspark.com/_borders/a_litt5.jpg http://www.hockinghillspark.com/_borders/conkleshollow.jpg

Which led me to this:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/

Veddy nice!!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
I think sozlet will love the zoo, as well. I haven't been there myself, but the niece says it's great.

Oops, sorry...The link!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:14 pm
Yep, definitely the zoo!

Maybe COSI, definitely zoo. ("Zoo AND Aquarium!") (Her two current favorite places to go are the Brookfield Zoo and the Shedd Aquarium.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 06:37 am
I vaguely remembered Sozobe had a Columbus, Ohio thread somewhere ... looked it up cause of this tidbit which might encourage you, Soz (tho I hate to drag politics into everything) - one thing about the place is it seems like there's enough politically fired up people there. Both Kerry and Edwards drew 1,200-strong crowds there this past week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 06:40 am
of more interest (to Setanta) - Dr. Demento made a stop in Columbus on his national tour last year!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:04 am
Ooh, thanks, nimh! That is encouraging, indeed.

And Dr. Demento, too! Encouraginger and encouraginger!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:17 am
nimh wrote:
Both Kerry and Edwards drew 1,200-strong crowds there this past week.

Why is that encouraging? Maybe the people of Columbus had just never seen a Democrat before? Razz

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
LOL!

(sorry)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:21 am
harrumph!

I'm looking forward to being back in Columbus in the spring - particularly to go back to the topiary at the Old Deaf School Park. I think it's going to be amazing. Maybe even take the dogs, and see if they bark at the topiary dogs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:24 am
:-P

I've found oodles but oodles of info on the net -- this is one of my current favorite sites:

http://www.photo-tour.com/index.tmpl?command=showpage&id=127

Lotsa pics!

Much more verdant and interesting than I expected. (Expected pre- this thread, anyway, ehBeth especially has been clueing me in.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:24 am
Take pictures - please! That would be hilarious.

Good luck on the Columbus weekend coming up, soz. I hope the weather holds. I have a feeling you're going to be very happy there.
0 Replies